Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 11:43 AM

24,450 posts, read 9,315,996 times

Advertisements

The OP needs advice on interaction but he spent the time to type out 4 pre-planned scenarios for folks to read on the internet?

The only way you’re going to be good at communicating with women is to practice. That means get off the internet and go to a club, bar, park, and do it the old fashion way. You have to learn from the basics.

My friend, you are clueless. Why does converting people to your religion have to be involved here. Jesus isn’t going to help you get laid or be a better friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 11:54 AM

29,696 posts, read 34,240,753 times
You're an adult, and generally adults who are friends and work colleagues don't meet each other's families of origin. If she's married, you may meet her husband or any kids at other events, but her meeting your brother or you emailing her sister will be seen as odd. Religion is also a touchy subject--keep having friendly, superficial discussions, but do not go behind her back and try to convert her.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 04-18-2018 at 12:52 PM..

Old 04-18-2018, 12:31 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,053,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
No offense but you sound cluless and, as others have said, pushy. I'd tell my sister to stay away from you just based on these interactions. You seem like the type of guy they eventually make Dateline episodes about.

And I say this in all seriousness, you're clueless and a bit creepy.
This.

OP, pump the brakes.

Be friends. A movie is fine but slow down on the family bit unless she initates it and STOP completely with the religion.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:35 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,652,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
4. We are friends on facebook. She is a Catholic, I am a conservative evangelical Christian. We have a friendly discussion about religion. She tells me that her (married) sister is also an evangelical Christian. So I send a facebook message to her (married) sister, introducing myself: "Hey, your sister and I are friends, had a nice chat about religion. You and I have similar religious views. Maybe you could introduce your sister to evangelical Christianity."
You didn't do it, right?

Old 04-18-2018, 01:57 PM

24,450 posts, read 9,315,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
My bad, I should've read closer, missed the Asperger's bit.
While understandable, that’s no excuse. The OP is trying to go to people’s houses and talk to people’s wives over social media about converting religion. Someone in the OP’s life failed the OP and never taught him that forcing religion on someone is not ok. He even knows talking to the married sister of his friend is not ok as he fears the husband would be “jealous.”

The post still comes across as a person who understands right from wrong and should not use any condition to justify insulting someone’s beliefs.

Suggesting someone change their religion is a good way to lose friends, not gain them.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:01 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,977,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
While understandable, that’s no excuse. The OP is trying to go to people’s houses and talk to people’s wives over social media about converting religion. Someone in the OP’s life failed the OP and never taught him that forcing religion on someone is not ok. He even knows talking to the married sister of his friend is not ok as he fears the husband would be “jealous.”

The post comes across as a person who understands right from wrong.

Just curious Rocko, what do you know about Asperger's?

Old 04-18-2018, 02:40 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,934,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
You didn't do it, right?
No. I decided against it after reading replies from this forum.

Last edited by MrJester; 04-18-2018 at 03:12 PM..

Old 04-18-2018, 02:45 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,934,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You're an adult, and generally adults who are friends and work colleagues don't meet each other's families of origin. If she's married, you may meet her husband or any kids at other events, but her meeting your brother or you emailing her sister will be seen as odd. Religion is also a touchy subject--keep having friendly, superficial discussions, but do not go behind her back and try to convert her.
That may be true, but it's a hard truth to take. All my cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents lived 7,000 miles from me and I hardly know them to this day. My brother is fun to be around with but he also has Asperger's and is 8 years younger.

I wish people would realize that there are people like me who hardly know their extended family. I wish that then, they would be more welcoming to introducing themselves to me.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:36 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,754,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
That may be true, but it's a hard truth to take. All my cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents lived 7,000 miles from me and I hardly know them to this day. My brother is fun to be around with but he also has Asperger's and is 8 years younger.

I wish people would realize that there are people like me who hardly know their extended family. I wish that then, they would be more welcoming to introducing themselves to me.
That's understandable, but you can't just walk up and force your friend's families to serve as your de facto family. It sounds misplaced.

Again, focus on getting to know your friend for what she has to offer, and if along the way you get to know her family, consider it a bonus.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:43 PM

26 posts, read 43,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
Hello MrJester,

I understand you have Aspergers and I don't know if some of these things might not make sense intuitively. I've tried to outline why you should or shouldn't take the approaches you've laid out. I caution you to take some of the other posts seen her with a grain of salt. Some people have a hard time stepping out of their own shoes and understanding that not everyone thinks the same way as they do.

Best of luck.

Skyl3r
You were extremely sensitive to this young man and should be recognized. That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships