Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 12:26 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
Let him be. He probably worked hard his whole life. Let him enjoy his time in peace before he leaves this life.
Yes, this.

You can decide what you want to do when YOU are retired!

Likely you'll have a much different take by then...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 12:53 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Yes, this.

That would require actually working first.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:56 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Yes, this.

Likely you'll have a much different take by then...
OP isn't working. She is a middle aged adult, living in a room in her parents house. That's why she knows so well what her retired parents do all day.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:01 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
OP isn't working. She is a middle aged adult, living in a room in her parents house. That's why she knows so well what her retired parents do all day.
Lol. Really? That explains it then...

Old 04-18-2018, 04:58 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Lol. Really? That explains it then...
She is hearing impaired.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
That would require actually working first.

OH....I see now

Old 04-18-2018, 05:19 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
Well to back up the OP a little, my husband fully retired theee years ago. Fortunately he plays golf at least three days a week, does some work in the yard and on the house and helps a bit with grandchild care.

However when he is home and "relaxing" it means sitting in from of the TV, often playing something on his iPad at the same time. Drives me crazy as I have never been a TV watcher. I think it is our different personalities at clash here. I cannot stand daytime TV in particular but he comes from a family that always had the TV on all day.

I try to take the view that he is entitled to do what he likes, within reason. But then I observe our ninety year old neighbour out in the garden or working in his workshop and I start growling!

Old 04-18-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:

OH, missed that part

Old 04-18-2018, 05:27 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
He's not doing NOTHING. Even if he's asleep his brain is busy. His mind may be rummaging happily around reliving the past. He might be concocting a novel. He could be making plans for a vacation or house renovation. He may find social interaction or games his phone gives access to intriguing now that he has time to spend on it. Who knows? Until you can see into his brain you can't claim to know how much or how little he is doing. The difference could be that in the past he was physically more active. Now he may be mentally more active. Its his time to do what he wants. Quit judging him. Who gave you the title of spare time police?
Yes. I don't understand being bored, even if I'm alone doing zilch, I am never bored - I am enjoying the quiet, thinking about things.

Some people also just get set in their ways and don't want to do much. My parents reached a point like that, they stopped maintaining their house and watched a lot of tv. They were enjoying doing nothing but they had responsibilities they were ignoring. They would not let me help, took it as an insult. They were not that old when this happened, they just stopped doing anything they didn't consider fun, like a couple of spoiled teenagers.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:27 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:

So is the op home all day doing nothing also? Or is the op doing a different kind of nothing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships