Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2018, 02:10 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
I work with some who has their adult kid with them ... I'm not sure if he always lived there though

Incidentally even if he moved out it is no guarantee that a women would date him anyway
I have heard it said that we are moving towards extreme hypergamy, perhaps the last stop before we legalize polygamy. There is an 80/20 rule...the top 80% of women are only interested in the top 20% of men and there is much sharing going on. This means a lot of men are falling through the cracks...which is why so many live in their parents basement playing video games for decades on end...no women want them and even if they become more mainstream still no women will want them...they have no incentive to change. This is an unintended consequence of the 80/20 rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 02:19 PM

492 posts, read 631,108 times
I know a 65 year old woman that never left home. When her parents died she inherited the home/property even though she has siblings.

I think it is better for kids to live independent and self reliant but that's just me. Our kids moved out for college and made it on their own fine. DH and I left home at an early age but like I said, just what we did. To each his own.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:18 PM

265 posts, read 155,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I have heard it said that we are moving towards extreme hypergamy, perhaps the last stop before we legalize polygamy. There is an 80/20 rule...the top 80% of women are only interested in the top 20% of men and there is much sharing going on. This means a lot of men are falling through the cracks...which is why so many live in their parents basement playing video games for decades on end...no women want them and even if they become more mainstream still no women will want them...they have no incentive to change. This is an unintended consequence of the 80/20 rule.
The adult kid has a kid tho

Old 04-21-2018, 05:12 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,132 times
He is free to choose what to do and where to live.
Betcha he's got a fat bankroll too. Well, he should at least.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:25 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
I have a friend whom I have known since 1980. He is my age, 56, and still lives at home with his parents. He is intelligent, good looking and has a good job. He constantly states he can't find a good woman. I think to myself "Who the hell wants to date someone who is your age and still living at home in your child-hood bedroom??" Seriously?
He also states he hates the weather in this state (WI) and wants to live somewhere warm. Back about 10 years ago I got sick of him complaining so I said "Why the heck don't you just move??" He said "Well, the jobs don't pay well in Florida where I want to be". Now his excuse is his parents are "getting on in age and he is afraid they will die if he leaves".
His FB status is constantly (when it isn't summer around here) "XX days till summer and warm weather". Constantly. It's like a broken record. LOL
He has no kids, no big bills, etc etc.
Anybody else know someone like this? LOL
It's a different kind of life. A very quiet life. Perhaps that is all he can really deal with.

Who are we to judge?

Old 04-21-2018, 08:36 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,082,195 times
Not everyone cannot stand to live with their parents. Even American culture has homes built as Mother/Daughter (two family) and 'with In-law apartment'. Not everyone abandons the nest at age 18, and leaves their parents to fend for themselves or become wards of the state when they are in their 80s.

Some families are very close, and you don't have to be gay or mentally ill to love your kids or your parents.

Remember 'The Waltons'? Three generations under one roof. It was a show about an American family that loved each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp7_u0kcQRo

How about the Harry Chapin song, "Cat's in the Cradle", about a father with no time for his growing son, and the now grown son with no time for the old man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OqwKfgLaeA

Old 04-21-2018, 08:51 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,317,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Ok, let me rephrase that for you: When I VOLUNTEERED In dog rescue... That was something I chose to do with my free time to “give back”; I not only never received any pay, I spent several thousand of my own money over the years. I suppose I could have done even more if I was living rent and bill free sponging off my parents as an adult. That would never happen though because my parents, with all their faults, raised me to be a self-sufficient, independent adult with gumption and a backbone! Yes, I sure as hell do judge any 56 year old male that has never moved out on his on, as does the rest of society. I have no idea who Mencken is, nor do I care; I see no mention of him in the original comment. But if it brings you comfort to use him to justify failure to launch, more power to you. No doubt many people could accomplish so much more professionally if they weren’t bothered by those pesky responsibilities and paying bills!
You don’t speak for the rest of society though. People are unique and differ greatly in their views, opinions, likes, dislikes, etc. We all have a unique lens through which we view society and others.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Sounds like a guy I knew for a while in Sarasota . I worked with him actually and he was a surgical tech and I was a medical secretary for the same dr . He was cute and he was nice and I wondered why I never saw him with a woman and one of the other admins told me he lived at home with his parents in a water front home . In other words Big Bucks aka money and his parents had to approve of whom he dated . I think he was in his early 40s . He had two ex wives and two kids too . But some men like the comfort zone . His mother did his laundry and they had a maid to do the rest of the cleaning . Yep failure to launch and stay launched is some guys problem . He will be 80 yrs old and still trying to figure out what happened . It is a sad state of affairs all the way around .
How do you know it’s a sad state of affairs for this guy or his family? Maybe he’s happy and content? Maybe his family is as well? How could anyone possibly know the inner dynamics at play other than the individuals involved? Is it sad and also a “failure to launch” because you think it is or because of some other reason? The point is we are all opinionated and have our individual sense of what is or isn’t appropriate or normal, but our opinions don’t necessarily carry any objective weight — and they certainly don’t apply to anyone else in any meaningful way.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:19 PM

1,201 posts, read 803,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
How do you know it’s a sad state of affairs for this guy or his family? Maybe he’s happy and content? Maybe his family is as well? How could anyone possibly know the inner dynamics at play other than the individuals involved? Is it sad and also a “failure to launch” because you think it is or because of some other reason? The point is we are all opinionated and have our individual sense of what is or isn’t appropriate or normal, but our opinions don’t necessarily carry any objective weight — and they certainly don’t apply to anyone else in any meaningful way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWyNsssUhsU - nails it at 1:46!

Old 04-21-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Try to comprehend - I don’t (and never have) make my living with dogs. I work in corporate America. Sounds like I touched a nerve about grown males (can’t say “men”) living at home with mommy and daddy after college age. Odd how my comment bothered you so much. I wonder why?
Why brag about all of your accomplishments? What are you trying to achieve? You worked in corporate America and traveled and raised kids and moved out of your parents house at a young age. Ok, great. Why list those things? Is any or all of that supposed to be impressive or a sign of your upstanding character or human worth? Human resume?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships