Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 10:53 AM

170 posts, read 121,627 times

Advertisements

I am getting married soon. We are having the smallest, least traditional wedding you can imagine and paying for it all ourselves. Yet every time I think about it, I feel like I start to have a panic attack-- my heart beats faster, my palms sweat and I feel like all of my air supply has been cut off. I am dreading it if I am honest.

Its not the getting married part itself, its all of the family stuff. There will be drama. There has been drama leading up to this and there is no end in sight. And its not just my family, it is my fiancee's family as well. Imagining both of these groups in a small space together is enough to make me physically sick. There are too many issues to list-- for example, this week, fiancee's dad has chosen this occasion to bring his new girlfriend, who fiancee's mom has never met (they have not been divorced long). Dad's girlfriend was not invited but dad mentioned his guest a few days ago-- fiancee and I had no idea she existed. Fiancee's mom is not reacting well. Both are traveling from far out of state. Mom wants dad to come solo and dad is determined to rub mom's face in the fact that he has moved on. Both are threatening not to attend if we don't do what they want.

I wanted to elope but its too late now. I am getting depressed over the sheer number of stupid things that are happening because of this wedding. I keep a low profile with my family but there was no way around inviting certain members but not others. I just want to grit my teeth and get through it but as it gets closer I find myself fantasizing about calling it all off. Not because I have doubts about getting married, but because I don't want to deal with these people. And most of the time I can live in my bubble and avoid them. Sartre was indeed correct-- hell is other people-- and there are only a handful of them among our 40 guests that will behave themselves and actually contribute to an enjoyable day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 11:01 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,787,522 times
You can only control your own actions and reactions. If other human adults can't act like decent people for a few hours, then that's embarrassing for them, but it has nothing to do with you. You're there to get married and enjoy the day. I'd "protective bubble barrier" myself and pretend I didn't know anyone who was acting like a dink. Anyone threatening to not attend should just not attend. Boundaries. Set 'em up.

Good luck... congratulations to you.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:42 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,937 times
You've expressed these misgivings for some time.

I see only two choices at this juncture: Either go on with it and let whatever chips fall or cancel it and "elope."

Neither is a "winning" proposition, but the people that would be unhappy will be unhappy regardless of whether they come to a wedding or are told now that there will be no wedding. I suppose there are airline tickets involved and caterers, etc. Are these relationships going to be improved or destroyed by attending your wedding? Doesn't sound like it. They already are not good.

Either resolve to put up with whatever happens for a few hours or call it off. If his mom and dad are already threatening not to attend (if you don't do – what exactly?), let them. You can fix that particular wagon right now by not caving into their inability to behave as adults.

What does your fiancé want to do? Can the two of you come to an agreement? Ultimately, that's what is most important.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:52 AM

170 posts, read 121,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post

I see only two choices at this juncture: Either go on with it and let whatever chips fall or cancel it and "elope."

Neither is a "winning" proposition, but the people that would be unhappy will be unhappy regardless of whether they come to a wedding or are told now that there will be no wedding. I suppose there are airline tickets involved and caterers, etc. Are these relationships going to be improved or destroyed by attending your wedding? Doesn't sound like it. They already are not good.

Either resolve to put up with whatever happens for a few hours or call it off. If his mom and dad are already threatening not to attend (if you don't do – what exactly?), let them. You can fix that particular wagon right now by not caving into their inability to behave as adults.

What does your fiancé want to do? Can the two of you come to an agreement? Ultimately, that's what is most important.
Mom wants us to disinvite dad. Dad wants to be able to bring his new girlfriend who is not technically invited. If that happens, and we don't forbid dad that guest, mom doesn't come. If we disinvite dad, he will pull the plug on other guests who we actually would like to see but because they are his side of the family, none will come. Its a non win situation. In fact, the whole event is this way. If we call it off, we are inconveniencing some of the guests we would really like to see as they will have to travel and cancel those plans. Maybe we can offer to reimburse them.

The point is not if the relationship with these people will be improved or destroyed. The point is my mental health and well being. The drama is easier to ignore if its not in your physical space.

My fiancee wants to see certain people. Which means the show will go on despite the almost daily bombshells about nonsense. I need some Xanax.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:58 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingthebricks View Post
Mom wants us to disinvite dad. Dad wants to be able to bring his new girlfriend who is not technically invited. If that happens, and we don't forbid dad that guest, mom doesn't come. If we disinvite dad, he will pull the plug on other guests who we actually would like to see but because they are his side of the family, none will come. Its a non win situation. In fact, the whole event is this way. If we call it off, we are inconveniencing some of the guests we would really like to see as they will have to travel and cancel those plans. Maybe we can offer to reimburse them.

The point is not if the relationship with these people will be improved or destroyed. The point is my mental health and well being. The drama is easier to ignore if its not in your physical space.

My fiancee wants to see certain people. Which means the show will go on despite the almost daily bombshells about nonsense. I need some Xanax.
You can't disinvite your parents.

Can you remind them that this is your wedding and not their battle ground on which they can fight out their extended sordid divorce grudges? Just tell both of them that you are all adults and you would like them to put aside their differences on this day and let you relax and enjoy the moment.

It may make you feel better and relieve some of that anxiety to express it.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:00 PM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:

All of this, OP. Especially the bolded parts.

OP - how close are we to the event?

Old 04-24-2018, 12:11 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:

I'm so so sorry your parents cannot be mature about this and just put their own feelings aside for "YOUR" day...so childish....I'm sorry, but they don't have to talk to each other, they could just show up, and yeah, it will be very uncomfortable for your mom, but, grow the heck up, this is YOUR day....

Old 04-24-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
You can't disinvite your parents.

Can you remind them that this is your wedding and not their battle ground on which they can fight out their extended sordid divorce grudges? Just tell both of them that you are all adults and you would like them to put aside their differences on this day and let you relax and enjoy the moment.

It may make you feel better and relieve some of that anxiety to express it.
I believe the "Mom and Dad" she's referencing are the fiancé's parents.

Seems like the fiancé needs to step up and speak to his own parents, in that case.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:

In this case, see your doctor. A reasonable dosage to tamp down your anxiety level may help.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:13 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
I believe the "Mom and Dad" she's referencing are the fiancé's parents.

Seems like the fiancé needs to step up and speak to his own parents, in that case.
Agreed. Here is where you find out if you are marrying a man or just someone who goes along to get along. Make him deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships