Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 01:01 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,055,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missganda View Post
First im upset because their excuse for cancelling was rediculous. They should have considered that the baby has problem before they agreed on a trip. Not a month later after I did all the work. They went on the same trip becore so they know how the baby tolerated it. Second, they have another grandson that they can spend time if they go on a trip w since they dont spend alot of time with my son. We dont live close to them not like the other frabdaib that lives with them. Third, they go on this trip every year and all of a sudden they decline my husbands invitation to go just because another baby cant go. I think most people will be upset in this situation.
Again, YOUR expectation show in your post. At the very least this is a behavior for trouble and hard feelings with your in-laws and in time your husband.

Go ahead and get upset but it's you that will suffer............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 01:09 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
You understandably had your feelings hurt. That's rotten. But don't be upset with your husband. It is some weird dynamic you will never understand between sister in law & her mother. That's on them.

Just don't get sucked into making any plans for them in the future. Instead go do something fun with your husband & son.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:33 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
By the way. Where are your parents? Your kid has another set of grandparents. Make sure your kid gets "grandparent time and attention" from that direction.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:37 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
By the way. Where are your parents? Your kid has another set of grandparents. Make sure your kid gets "grandparent time and attention" from that direction.
What does that have to do with this thread and what makes you think she's not?

Old 04-25-2018, 02:00 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,137,665 times
Quote:
First im upset because their excuse for cancelling was rediculous. They should have considered that the baby has problem before they agreed on a trip. Not a month later after I did all the work. They went on the same trip becore so they know how the baby tolerated it. Second, they have another grandson that they can spend time if they go on a trip w since they dont spend alot of time with my son. We dont live close to them not like the other frabdaib that lives with them. Third, they go on this trip every year and all of a sudden they decline my husbands invitation to go just because another baby cant go. I think most people will be upset in this situation.
I think you are absolutely correct and also have every right to be upset.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:32 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
I hope Im wrong but I see that my PIL favors their other grandchild over my son. One time when we were visting at their house, my husband and I decided to spend the night there with our son. We needed something for my son so we were gonna go out to but it. My MIL said just leave our son with her and she will watch him. Before we even left the house, we heard a loud bang. It was my son. He fell and hit his head. My MIL who supposed to be watching my sone left to go upstairs to put her other grandson to sleep. She left my son to my SIL. Why my SIL cant put her own son to sleep and let my MIL watch my son? My husband was upset but knowing him he didnt say nothing to them.
The bolded is the issue here, but you're just going to have go let it go.

Take care of your family and let your relatives do what they're going to do. With two young cousins in this family and your feelings of jealousy, warranted or not, you're looking at years of drama and recriminations unless you can get on top of your feelings.

About the trip, did you lose deposits, or is it just a matter of cancelling reservations? Can you and your husband and baby go on the trip anyway? Might be nice for the 3 of you to get away.

Also, I'll add that when my daughter was 1.5 years old, she was terrible to travel with. She hated the car seat but wouldn't fall asleep. It was no fun traveling with her until she was about 4.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:57 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Can the sister's family fly with their kid? I guess at this point plane tickets would be pretty expensive.

When you were making plans did the sister mention her kid not being able to tolerate long drives?

Old 04-25-2018, 03:11 PM

1,063 posts, read 696,096 times
If it hasn't already been mentioned then pick something where the other grandchild could come that is close by.

I have mentioned IRL that traveling with children is impossible these days due to it taking 2x the amount of time to travel than 20 years ago for the same distance. Plus you have United Airlines that makes you put toddlers on your lap so you can get a blood clot in your leg and die. Or let the kid's puppy die in the overhead compartment. Or drag your grandfather off the plane because he didn't want to sell his seat because they were overbooked. Now grandpa is dead and your child is sad.

Just don't do it.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:44 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Can the sister's family fly with their kid? I guess at this point plane tickets would be pretty expensive.

When you were making plans did the sister mention her kid not being able to tolerate long drives?
IMO, here's the problem. These people did not have enough sense to recognize the difference between a 6 month old and a 18 month old when they originally asked her to plan a trip.

Did I miss how long this drive will take? Some think 30 minutes in the car is too long, others drive 2 hours across town to go to a farmers market.

The trip is off. The op has a right to be upset. But now she sees what she is dealing with in terms of responsibility and family.

She's probably right that her child will always take a back seat to the daughter's. That life. My kids gleefully opened their $3 plastic bowling set their grandma got them for Christmas while watching the daughter's
kid open her $300 doll. We never said a word.

Like my momma said all the time, "G-d gave you relatives so you would appreciate your friends".

Old 04-25-2018, 04:31 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
(snip)

She's probably right that her child will always take a back seat to the daughter's. That life. My kids gleefully opened their $3 plastic bowling set their grandma got them for Christmas while watching the daughter's
kid open her $300 doll. We never said a word.

Like my momma said all the time, "G-d gave you relatives so you would appreciate your friends".
We had something similar happen in Hubby's family. The daughter had thousands and thousands of dollars worth of free child care over the years and we had none. The daughter's son had elaborate, expensive birthday and Christmas gifts and fully paid vacations with grandma & grandpa. Hubby's two children received very few, very inexpensive gifts (picture dollar store trinkets and a coloring book when their other grandchild got a $300 bicycle or computer or another large ticket gift plus smaller gifts, too).

We really tried to keep this information from our children and were pretty successful in doing that. Our children still loved their grandparents very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships