Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 05:48 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Some of these people may have sensory processing disorders which could be making them miserable. I'd rather not judge them.
LOL, I must have a complaint processing disorder that makes ME miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 08:39 AM

923 posts, read 526,823 times
I know of people who will "unload" their problems, I don't see those as complainers. It's good to get some stuff off your chest. Typically just one or two problems they've had during the day, but they are generally happy people.

I also know of a few who will FIND something to complain about. Almost to the point that if they see that you are happy, they will do their best to bring you down. Dated one like that, complained that I didn't go see some friends of mine. When I did, she complained that I went out with them. Don't know if she's classified as a complainer or a total beeotch. lol

I've found that if they "suck you in" then you'll start complaining more also. If you see what is going on, then you realize that you should be very happy about your life as you aren't as miserable as they are and that life really is nice when your not p!$$ed off all the time. lol

Old 04-28-2018, 01:21 PM

561 posts, read 1,512,806 times
Look at all these judgey posters here -- posting your complaints here about people who complain! Good grief, just leave them alone, because I'm pretty sure you don't know their life experiences. Yeah, it'd be an amazing world if we were all alike, but as they say, pretty damn boring....

And for those OPs complaining about your mother....soon enough she won't be around to complain about....get over yourselves!

Old 04-28-2018, 03:26 PM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
Look at all these judgey posters here -- posting your complaints here about people who complain! Good grief, just leave them alone, because I'm pretty sure you don't know their life experiences. Yeah, it'd be an amazing world if we were all alike, but as they say, pretty damn boring....

And for those OPs complaining about your mother....soon enough she won't be around to complain about....get over yourselves!
Um...

Old 05-01-2018, 12:34 PM

388 posts, read 474,179 times
Luckily, I can easily avoid complainers since I work at home. When I run into them out and about, I just cut the conversation short and leave.

I have noticed complainers almost always have high self esteem and entitlement. They assume we are interested in whatever they are complaining about. Politics, relatives, work, neighbors, weather, etc.

They also appear to be extroverts more often that not IMO.

I just wish they would all hang out together and leave the rest of us alone.

My brother became a HUGE complainer starting around age 25. I tried to tell him about it but he wouldn't hear of it. I was wrong.

The negativity got so bad, I had to break ties with him. That lasted 15 years until the medics discovered he had a brain tumor.

After his first surgery, I asked the doctor if the tumor or placement of it could have been why brother went from being a nice guy to a hugely negative, critical person. The doc said "absolutely."

So the last 6 months of his life, I hung out with him a few times every week and listened to him complain about everything. He couldn't help it. Pretty easy to forgive.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:52 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
Most of the complaining I hear is easily ignored until they start shouting.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:36 PM

749 posts, read 580,691 times
Sometimes the complainer is not really complaining. It is merely an observation that sounds like a complaint. It also depends on the tone of voice and which words are emphasized.

Complainers are undervalued. I enjoy hearing complaints about things I don't like. If I say it will rain and sleet tomorrow, someone may interpret that as a complaint. It is only a prediction.
When you complain about someone's complaining, you are complaining yourself!

Old 05-07-2018, 11:34 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I have a friend like that. I find it amusing. She is 77 and the other day someone said she was surprised to learn her age because she doesn't look a day over 70. She was annoyed because "most people think I'm in my 60s".

She is unhappy with whatever her children give her for birthdays or Christmas, and it is amusing because I can see the hostility from the kids (who are all in their 50s) that has developed. For example: her daughter owns a florist and gave her mother a balloon--not flowers--on her 75th birthday. But if she'd gotten flowers, they would have been the wrong kind or color, so I see why the daughter did that.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:21 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,062,835 times
Oh yeah! I've tuned her out like a railroad track close by, the train is just part of the background noise now.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:50 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
My god, I'm married to one.
Join the complaint...I mean the club. It seems like it's worse when she comes home from visiting her mom. Every couple of months I have to tell her to ****...well not in those exact words obviously. I'm much more tactful and she really does make an effort to dial it down if I say something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships