Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 08:53 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I just personally would rather deal with the noise that an ongoing feud. Judging by the way she reacted already, it will only get worse not better. Again she has every right to call the police, not that there’s much they can do, however this is what my choice would be. Foam ear plugs work very well.
Maybe so, but why should the OP risk not hearing a smoke alarm or someone trying to break in in the middle of the night? He didn't cause this noise problem, he's just trying to fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 08:54 AM

50,793 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Agree! Can't say it enough.
Yes, in my town it is my local exchange followed by 9111 (like 222-9111). You google “ (specific area)non-emergency police phone number. It is a policeman who answers this number.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 04-30-2018 at 09:13 AM..

Old 04-30-2018, 09:03 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times
Find out what the local ordinances are and go from there. I've never lived in any kind of neighborhood/town, so I don't know much about those situations.

In the meantime get some ear plugs. I always have some by my bed just incase

Old 04-30-2018, 09:08 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
I believe there is an ordinance that has to with "Quiet Enjoyment" that applies between 11 pm and 7 am. Unexpected noises are one thing, but when it's consistent for a period of time, that should be actionable.

I had a practice room for a band and we always followed the rules and stopped playing by 11.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:17 AM

50,793 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Maybe so, but why should the OP risk not hearing a smoke alarm or someone trying to break in in the middle of the night? He didn't cause this noise problem, he's just trying to fix it.
Well I don’t really think she’ll miss an alarm. I lived in a very noisy place until very recently and wore them sometimes, but I still heard close up things. But they allowed me to sleep when the garbage men came at 6am. The best thing though was a window air conditioner, which I would run on warm even in the fall to block noise. A window fan would do as well .

Aside from that, no she should not have to, but as with most things in life often we are required to choose whether we want to be right or to be happy. I choose to be happy and it is almost impossible to be happy when you live with neighbors you are feuding with. I once called the cops when a group of kids was doing very loud squealing donuts in the parking lot next to my bedroom window at 2am, and then spent the rest of the night worrying that they would find out who called and get revenge LOL. For me it’s not worth it, but this is me.

There is probably not going to be any easy, quick fix. The dogs need to go out when they need to go out. I don’t know if there are a barking breed like beagles or something that you’re not gonna be able to shut up no matter what you do , if they’re just poorly trained, but regardless the solution is not going to be an instant one even with police involvement. I do like the poster suggestion that the owner stay out there with the dogs perhaps that would keep them from barking however she does not sound at all receptive to this. I would have tried once as OP did, but after she became so defensive and slam the door I would have gone for the ear plugs and noise machine. She sounds like exactly the type person who would keep upping the bounty and I don't want to live in that sort of tension.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:29 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
1) Talk friendly to the guy and explain the situation and that it has to stop.
2) If it doesn't help, I'd find times when that guy sleeps and invoke his dog's barking at that time. Probably would do so consistantly over a week.
3) If it still doesn't help, I'd notify HOA about the issue.
4) If it still doesn't help, I'd call 911 one of those nights when it actually happens (those guys really have nothing better to do at 3AM, they would really like to meet with the Barky and his owner)

My actions won't necessarily come in that order...
WTF? People don't have heart attacks at 3 a.m.? Break-ins don't happen at 3 a.m.? Fires don't happen at 3 a.m.?

This was a crap-ass thing to say. Don't call 911 for stupid stuff like barking dogs.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:29 AM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Get her phone number, and call her when they bark. Say "Time to let the dogs back in!" Or if she won't give you the number, get a trumpet and start blowing it at her door, along with the dogs... If she can't seem to hear the dogs, find something she DOES hear. She can be trained to listen better if she wants peace.

The dogs have to do their business. She doesn't have to leave them unattended and barking at 3 am. You may get away with that in the country, not in a townhouse. Not at 3 am.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:33 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
I think you need to find something you can do, which is not illegal, that will irritate him.

Only then will you have leverage with which you can then negotiate.

What can you do that would bug him?

Old 04-30-2018, 09:42 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
I use a fan, and the only earplugs I have found that actually work:
https://www.earplugsonline.com/

Calling the police is a dicey proposition when it comes to neighbors. They'll know it was you, then may or may not find other means to annoy you depending on their level of maturity; or lack thereof.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:15 AM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Maybe just be direct, and when the dogs start barking, go over there and bang on the door yourself, or ring the doorbell, until she answers... Tell her cheerfully you just wanted her to know her dogs wanted in. Do that every night for a few nights and I bet she starts listening better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships