Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 09:59 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Back View Post
I called the non-emergency number of the police to complain last night when the dogs barked outside my window for 30 minutes. The person who answered the phone said the staff was busy and maybe they may come out and check it out. The impression I got is they thought I was a nuisance and it was not that important.

The people with the barking dog live in the end unit and I am right next door. The unit right next to me is empty and the other units are far away from the dogs. So my wife and I are the only people impacted.
Then just go over there and bang on the door when it happens. "Your dogs have been barking for 30 minutes and waking me up. I have to work early tomorrow. Please let them in."

I still would like to know how you know they are drunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 10:19 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I think the neighbor is very inconsiderate. My dogs would be let out at 3 am only if there was some kind of emergency.

My next door neighbor goes to bed early and I try to have mine in by 9 pm. (Maybe later on the week-end).

I know my Westie has been out for too long when she sends me a text that says "Is Ringo Ok?"

LOL. At least she's nice about it so I try to bring him in.

I would never act like your neighbor. What a beoytch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
My dogs are out to pee and back in.

Neighbor's cat is quiet but chits in my landscaping.

It's a trade off we have both agreed to live with.
your dog is annoying to your neighbors and at least one of you tells you repeatedly yet you keep letting your dog bark.

Trade off? No, it is rude. I would report you.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:21 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
I called the non-emergency number of the police to complain last night when the dogs barked outside my window for 30 minutes. The person who answered the phone said the staff was busy and maybe they may come out and check it out. The impression I got is they thought I was a nuisance and it was not that important.

The people with the barking dog live in the end unit and I am right next door. The unit right next to me is empty and the other units are far away from the dogs. So my wife and I are the only people impacted.
So there is a HOA or property manager or someone. Complain to them.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:22 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Exactly! And the police are much more likely to respond to a DUI complaint as opposed to a dog barking/noise complaint.
You can't just call in a DUI complaint if you haven't seen anything like them driving erratically. You can't just call and say "I think my neighbor was out drinking because that's what he's done in the past". If OP doesn't know he is driving drunk or have reason to think he is behind the wheel drunk at the time of the call, then it is a FALSE call and against the law.

Aside from that, it does exactly zero to solve OP's problem.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:30 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,365 times
Quote:
I live in a townhouse and the bedrooms look out at a porch of my new next door neighbor. The neighbor comes home from a night of drinking pretty much every evening at about 3 AM. He puts his two dogs out on the porch to do their business and then slams the door. About ten minutes later the dogs will start barking to be let inside. He lets them bark for about 15 minutes and then lets them in.

As a result, I am woken at about 3 AM every night and struggle to get back to sleep because I am so keyed up and angry.

I went over to talk to him but he told me the dogs need to do their business. She said to get some earplugs and slammed the door. (I think I was polite but firm.)

I put this question under the non romantic relationships board because it involves interaction with someone who I am forced to have a relationship with. What would you do if you were in my shoes?
Scream at their dog(s) to ****. I have to do it to a neighbor's mut almost every damn day. The dog has come to fear the sound of my door opening. It's too bad I can train that damn dog to shut the F up while its sorry ass owner cannot be bothered with that concept.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:36 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I like the barking play back at about 9 am. If they are truly drunk it will be barking for a nice hangover.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:20 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
I knew someone who dealt with a similar problem through small claims court. Judge issued injunction that dog had be quiet between certain hours. If it wasn't, owner was in contempt of court.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:00 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
On third visit from cops here they take the animal on a noise complaint

Old 05-01-2018, 12:00 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Our neighbors used to let their dog bark at night right outside our bedroom window. When I asked them to put him in at night, they said, "We can't hear him bark." Duh. They also would play basketball at midnight and it sounded like they were in our bedroom. They also cut down a tree in our side yard.

My husband would get up early to run and started calling them at 4 a.m. from a payphone. (This was before the days of cell phones.) He'd let the phone ring and ring til the dumb husband would finally pick up. It did nothing to fix the dog barking problem but it did entertain my husband.

We eventually moved, at least in part to get away from them.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:21 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
On third visit from cops here they take the animal on a noise complaint
That would likely require that the police actually hear the barking. They're not going to take someone's dog away if they don't hear barking.

The OP doesn't seem to think that the dogs would still be barking by the time the police got there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships