Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 06:58 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,186,754 times

Advertisements

During the last presidential election when everything got so ugly I "unfriended" lots of people. I now have 2 long distance relatives, 2 long distance friends and one son as my "friend" along with a few charity groups. I lost patience with some of the people that posted 100 things a day that clogged up my wall. Especially those that didn't have the guts to come out and say something to their "friend" so they posted vague stuff on FB instead. I think it's great for keeping in touch with long distance relatives or friends but I see no reason to have local people that you are friends with and see regularly as Facebook friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 09:22 AM

18,750 posts, read 11,723,165 times
I guess it's what your definition of friend is and how broad or narrow that definition is. I consider my Facebook friends well friends. Do I have time to socialize with over 100 people? No, but I can talk to them through Facebook. Some I see on a regular basis, some I never see but talk to from time to time. We've talked about some really intimate things, isn't that what you do with friends? I think so. Why wouldn't you consider them friends? One of my oldest and dearest friends lives kind of far away. I may only see her a couple of times a year, yet I may talk to one of my Facebook friends every week and never see them in person. So who deserves to be called a friend and who doesn't?

Old 05-05-2018, 09:28 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,210,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
I only accept facebook friends that are friends or relatives in real life. We use it to communicate with each other.
Me too. I love my friends and even ones I've been friends with only on the internet for YEARS. We have a lot in common (beginning with horses) and I know I'd be welcome in their home and vice versa. There have been some that have been not as nice and I unfriend them. YEP. My fb friends are real friends.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:25 AM

14,339 posts, read 11,837,307 times
I used to be pretty private and selective about my facebook friends until I got into real estate. Now I have all kinds of facebook friends that I don't know. Potential clients, colleagues, other agents, inspectors and loan officers who we meet in the business.

That said... I have many friends on facebook who I have met online, at forums, who have become very real friends, even if they live all the way across the country. Proximity is now no longer necessary for close friendships. I have known some of these people 10-15 years. Some I have traveled to see, some have traveled to see me, for my wedding, and for other gatherings. Some we may never see but we share our whole lives, and loves, and wins and losses with them.

So I guess the answer is... it's like the rest of life.... some of the people in it I am closer to than others!

Old 05-05-2018, 11:55 AM

23,485 posts, read 13,722,369 times
Oh, yes, MANY!

We may only see each other for a few days of the year, but yes, we are friends!

We may have different political views, but I don't let that break us apart.

Yes, we are FRIENDS!

Old 05-05-2018, 04:29 PM

3,032 posts, read 1,651,486 times
I have only 26 people in my Friends list. 6 of them are musicians, and 3 are people I never met (but 2 are relatives, and I will meet at least one of them soon). The rest is a mix of friends, classmates, and family.

I'm very picky of who I want for friends, and I think I've refused more Friend Requests than accepted. That's both from people I've known and people I don't know.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:02 PM

8,804 posts, read 4,458,741 times
If you aren't my friend on Facebook, how will you ever see the picture I took of last night's dinner? Really. I have approx. 175 Friends on Facebook. So of course I refer to them as my friends, with qualifications.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:33 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,173,068 times
All of the people on my buddy list are people I actually know. Neither of them are acquaintances. I also like to keep my FB settings to the point where only my friends can see what I post. Outsiders can only see my profile pic and cover photo. They don't have access to anything else.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:41 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,210,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
If you aren't my friend on Facebook, how will you ever see the picture I took of last night's dinner? Really. I have approx. 175 Friends on Facebook. So of course I refer to them as my friends, with qualifications.
I had to go look. I've got 159. Probably a few too many. Now if you send someone a message in order for them to read it they have to accept it and I think you get added or something like that. So I have a couple of people who are mistakes. Poor things.

Old 05-05-2018, 11:57 PM

37,461 posts, read 45,673,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
So, I had a conversation today with somebody and we brought up the subject of a relatively obscure band.

And I was like, "Oh, I have a friend who loves that band. They see them tour every time they come through this area. They're like crazy about them."

In reality, my 'friend' is a Facebook friend that I know from high school that I haven't talked to since then and really didn't talk to that much when we were in high school. And I know they follow the band because they post on Facebook quite a bit and blast posts about how much they love the band and see them everytime they come through.

I don't really consider that person a 'friend'. But it just popped into my head. And I just referred to that person that way. But it felt a little odd.

But it's odd. In the year 2018, sometimes you know more about what's going on in the life of your Facebook friends than your regular friends? And we all know there's people who post so often, you know everything that is going on in their life including the intimate details of their love life, even though that person might not even remember your name if they see you if you barely post yourself.

Do you guys refer to your Facebook friends as your friends? Sometimes I refer to such people as my 'Facebook friend'. Lol.
I refer to them as either my friends or my family, since that is what they really are. I have no one on my list that is not either of those (all known personally).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships