Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 01:49 PM

129,938 posts, read 12,046,856 times

Advertisements

It is your wife's decision. I always encourage families to stick together, so I would advise her to go, but to make a phone call first. But if she is adamant on not going, let it be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 01:56 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,780,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
No. There is a significant reason siblings would lose communication. Different personalities does not cut it as a good reason. They mutually chose to cut contact so they are out of each other's lives. It's crazy to choose now at this late time to have a relationship.
THIS ^^^^^^
I feel the same because I have a twin sister and we never ever got along or really even liked one another. She is a narcissist and a back-stabbing liar and totally untrustworthy. We haven't spoken in at least 13 years. I miss her not! I'm sure she feels the same toward me and hey, that's cool. I'm sure one of the cousins will call either her or I one day to say the other has died. Que Sera Sera.........

Old 05-06-2018, 01:56 PM

9,426 posts, read 5,180,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Back View Post
My wife has a sister she has not talked to in ten years who is in a hospital dying of cancer. I understand the sister will likely die within a month. The dying sister is in a hospital 500 miles away from where we live.

I asked my wife why she does not call her sister up on the phone or plan a trip to visit her. My wife said, "why should I, we have not talked to each other for the last ten years when she was well, why now?"

The sister dying of cancer and my wife never had a major blow up but just had a cold distant relationship. Nothing in common and their personalities did not match, so they just stopped communicating.

I don't know what to make of it. On one hand, if siblings don't talk to each other for ten years when they are healthy, maybe making an effort when one of them is dying is hypocritical. But maybe when someone is dying, that is a time to be an adult and make amends.

What about you? If you had a brother or sister you had such a distant cold relationship with that you had not talked to them in ten years, would you drive 500 miles to visit them at the hospital on their death bed?
Yes, I would. Without reading anything else, I say yes. Don't let your wife let her sister pass without going to see her. No matter why they have not spoken to one another.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:02 PM

271 posts, read 256,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I don’t understand that lack of compassion or empathy at all. Even if they didn’t keep in touch ,had nothing in common, didn’t love each other , there seems to be no compassion. Ugh!
Yep, it's baffling! Family is family. If you can't count on your own family, who the hell can you count on? I grew up with some nutty siblings but they are the gunfight at the OK Coral crew! They will always be there for me and I will always be there for them if they need me. So I can't even begin to comprehend this mentality.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:37 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,562,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
when she told me she'd adopted 2 kids, but didn't want them to meet me.
That was a very rough thing she said to you. It must have really hurt. I don't blame you for wanting to abide by her wishes. It's impossible to know whether she will ever see the light, and change her mind. It would be a good thing if she would ever come to see what a foolish thing she has done.

Unless there is a missing part of the story.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
It's crazy to choose now at this late time to have a relationship.
But it is a time for forgiveness, and to say goodbye. Maybe even "I love you", for some.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:47 PM

19,590 posts, read 12,193,033 times
Maybe the sick sister doesn't want the visit. Maybe she has a different story of why they were estranged.

It is too late for this and I agree with another poster that it is theatrics, that one should sweep in at the end and make some kind of amends without ever having tried while they were alive and well. This could thoroughly upset the dying person, how about that.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I don't care what my past was with my sibling. And I know that a last minute visit with that sibling on their deathbed doesn't make amends for anything. But I would forever be ashamed and disappointed with myself if I did not go to visit, and for me it's as simple as that. There are reasons that family members separate, sometime live a life of hatred towards each other. But once that person leaves the earth, it's over. I would visit for me as a acknowledgement that I always knew I had a sibling and not for some reason like rekindling the relationship at the last minute. And hopefully my sibling in their final hours might actually appreciate the gesture as their life comes to a close.
Thank you for this post. You are very wise .

Old 05-06-2018, 02:51 PM

6,293 posts, read 4,185,921 times
Quote:
No. There is a significant reason siblings would lose communication. Different personalities does not cut it as a good reason. They mutually chose to cut contact so they are out of each other's lives. It's crazy to choose now at this late time to have a relationship.

Having compassion doesn’t require having a relationship. People have compassion all the time for strangers, or conworkers, the neighbour down the street. To have absolutely no compassion , or any empathy and not even send a card speaks of a very cold heart.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:06 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,936,284 times
DH has instructions from me to not contact any member of my birth family should I be incapacitated or deceased. We had a thoughtful discussion about this. I told him I understand that he would need emotional support but he needed to know that it would never come from my family. They are emotionally stunted people. They would only show up to see what they could get.

He has a sister, who he has gotten closer to since their mother died, and he should lean on her.

Now, would I talk to my own estranged sibling if she were dying? I don't know. She's resented me bitterly for years, despite being the Golden Child and getting the entirety of what parental affection was on offer. The only times she talks to me is when she wants something. I can say without reservation that if she were willing to put her grievances aside, we could have a sister relationship. But she isn't and apparently won't.

So I guess the answer is No. It would be a long trip to make only to be insulted and belittled again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships