Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 07:56 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Shazaam! You da man, OP! Good thing you just happened to be a lawyer!

(I hope you gave the nice Nigerian man a tip?)
I didn't tip because his supervisor was there. And I hope we've "made up" from past scrapes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 10:36 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The sister has, let's say, some emotional baggage. Actually pretty serious but I don't think I should go into detail.

Update.

As you all correctly feared, I was to have trouble getting them to release the luggage to me. I arrived at New Rochelle Station, after leaving tennis and then my synagogue, around 11:40 a.m., after a 20 minute drive. The security officer, who was actually a quite nice Nigerian gentleman, said he couldn't give me the bags, but did ask for my ID. I produced both my driver's license and attorney photo ID. That convinced him to call his supervisor, who arrived about 25 minutes later. After my friend's sister had a screaming match with station personnel they released the bag to me.

I plan to bring it to the apartment tomorrow morning. My tennis game is on the same parkway, about 15-20 minutes from her apartment. She offered me $20, which I of course declined. But it took my lawyering skills to get them to release the bag to me.

Thank you all for your advice. I actually did weigh it when deciding what to do.
I think I just got an email from that security guy - I'm gonna be rich!

Old 05-13-2018, 07:26 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I agree with the above - except I would deliver the luggage to the sister's house or apartment when you have time.

The sister does not drive and does not have access to a car, so expecting the sister to pick up the luggage at your house/apt does not really extend a favor in totality. You could deliver the luggage just whenever you have time or whenever you feel like it - no rush - I think extending a full favor is more meaningful. Or if you (the OP) disagree with this, have your friend who is requesting the favor for his sister pick up the luggage at your house/apt and he can deliver it to his sister.
A cab, Uber, Lyft.

I'm a single woman, over 60, so have lived most of my adult life alone. If I'd left my luggage somewhere, that's what I would do. I wouldn't even ASK for someone to go get it, much less bring it to me, unless they happened to live right by the station...and even then, I'd take a cab to go get it.

This is how adults take care of their business.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:50 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
OP, you are a good friend. and I suspect a good person in general.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:20 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
If I had the time, I'd do it. It isn't clear from you post why the sister hasn't called or faxed permission yet. If she doesn't drive, maybe she can't fax from home. Maybe she isn't internet savvy. Maybe she has every intention of giving permission, but needed to know first if you were even willing to do it. I'm just not sure that your characterization of the sister not bothering to do her part is accurate.

If neither of them drive, they must have a way to get around. Bus? Taxi? I wonder why they don't take their normal mode of transportation to do this.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:27 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The sister has, let's say, some emotional baggage. Actually pretty serious but I don't think I should go into detail.

Update.

As you all correctly feared, I was to have trouble getting them to release the luggage to me. I arrived at New Rochelle Station, after leaving tennis and then my synagogue, around 11:40 a.m., after a 20 minute drive. The security officer, who was actually a quite nice Nigerian gentleman, said he couldn't give me the bags, but did ask for my ID. I produced both my driver's license and attorney photo ID. That convinced him to call his supervisor, who arrived about 25 minutes later. After my friend's sister had a screaming match with station personnel they released the bag to me.

I plan to bring it to the apartment tomorrow morning. My tennis game is on the same parkway, about 15-20 minutes from her apartment. She offered me $20, which I of course declined. But it took my lawyering skills to get them to release the bag to me.

Thank you all for your advice. I actually did weigh it when deciding what to do.
Well, that's good. At least you got it and didn't make the trip for nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships