Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 11:21 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
So the people living behind us sold their house and new owners moved in about a month ago. Two weekends ago we were in our back yard and the man told us he was going to play music and wanted to know if we had any requests. We didn't even know what to say at the time. It was the first time they had said anything and without any introductions he just announced that he was going to play us some music. How generous. Well he played for a bit and then shut it off. This weekend however he played his music for over 5 hours. Pretty much anyone next to him in their yard would have gotten to listen to his music. When my husband was in the yard he asked my husband if the music was bothering us, which my husband, for some reason, said only when we are outside. The guys just laughed and turned the music back up. What on earth possess someone to assume everyone around them wants to listen to their sh*tty music. The music is not the best, it is bad rock basically but it is the attitude this guy has about it that irritates me the most.

I don't think our county has ordinances for noise so I am not quite sure what to do about it right now but I have had it with neighbors like this.
Play opera on loudspeakers. Don Giovanni.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:49 AM

20,757 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
So the people living behind us sold their house and new owners moved in about a month ago. Two weekends ago we were in our back yard and the man told us he was going to play music and wanted to know if we had any requests. We didn't even know what to say at the time. It was the first time they had said anything and without any introductions he just announced that he was going to play us some music. How generous. Well he played for a bit and then shut it off. This weekend however he played his music for over 5 hours. Pretty much anyone next to him in their yard would have gotten to listen to his music. When my husband was in the yard he asked my husband if the music was bothering us, which my husband, for some reason, said only when we are outside. The guys just laughed and turned the music back up. What on earth possess someone to assume everyone around them wants to listen to their sh*tty music. The music is not the best, it is bad rock basically but it is the attitude this guy has about it that irritates me the most.

I don't think our county has ordinances for noise so I am not quite sure what to do about it right now but I have had it with neighbors like this.
He asked you twice and twice you did not react. You do not have a right to be mad if you allow it. Yes, his request was weird but after the first surprise, you could have been preparing yourself and put your foot down when he approached you the second time.

I would have gone over after the second time and tell him you didn't realize how loud it is and you like it quiet and he should turn it down so the neighbors don't have to hear it.

You cannot be outraged at something you approved.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:11 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
OP hasn't said if the guy is still playing music when she or her DH are outside, ignoring DH's request. She has also said that she cannot hear the music when she is inside, but still wants him to never play it because it "might" upset the other neighbors, who so far have expressed no opinion.

Weird neighbor indeed.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:37 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,043 times
Given that OP says she's not "fired up" and seems to think everyone here, especially Floridians, are also weird, was there an actual reason for this thread, lo these many pages ago?

Old 05-14-2018, 12:42 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
OP hasn't said if the guy is still playing music when she or her DH are outside, ignoring DH's request. She has also said that she cannot hear the music when she is inside, but still wants him to never play it because it "might" upset the other neighbors, who so far have expressed no opinion.
It's one thing if the neighbor is playing music so loud at all hours or that it's shaking the walls, but it's another if it's merely *audible*. I'm sure every one of us who live in neighborhoods can hear kids playing, lawn equipment, people talking on their porches or decks, etc. That's what happens when you have neighbors. Real life isn't A Quiet Place. The OP seems to take pride in being from Montana, maybe look into buying some acreage where you wouldn't have to hear a thing.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:14 PM

19,604 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's one thing if the neighbor is playing music so loud at all hours or that it's shaking the walls, but it's another if it's merely *audible*. I'm sure every one of us who live in neighborhoods can hear kids playing, lawn equipment, people talking on their porches or decks, etc. That's what happens when you have neighbors. Real life isn't A Quiet Place. The OP seems to take pride in being from Montana, maybe look into buying some acreage where you wouldn't have to hear a thing.
I think what we are talking about with music issues is the music is played at levels higher than other neighborhood noise for extended periods of time and not just for one event, but regularly.

Real life in a nice neighborhood is pretty quiet. Birds singing, maybe a lawn mower and few kids playing but nothing like when some idiot redneck takes over the neighborhood. It seems as people age out of their homes more idiots move in, it's part of the decline.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:18 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
I think the OP is correct in her stance against noise and loud music.

I think it's rude to play music on one's backyard deck or in one's backyard - music loud enough that neighbors could be disturbed.

It's just not necessary. Play music into your own ears with earbuds.

And playing radio stations loudly with talk/commercials is very annoying.

People seem to think playing music loudly in one's yard/deck equates to being festive. No.

I know others strongly disagree. I also think leaf blowers should be banned due to the toxic fumes they emit and the insane level of noise they make. And people who are obsessed with constantly using their power lawn mowers too frequently & unnecessarily should stop in favor of peace and tranquility.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:24 PM

922 posts, read 1,110,715 times
Quote:
That is all about ones perspective. Floridians don't do well up here and I know we wouldn't do well in Florida. So we would be weird neighbors to you and vice versa I am sure.

And they were drinking.

Wait, your neighbors were drinking in their own backyard? The backyard that they paid for? And playing rock music? Music that they asked you if you were okay hearing? Oh, the horrors!

Don't move to Texas, OP, or else you'll hear my Rolling Stones coming out from my blue tooth speaker while I float in my pool with a Yeti full of Shiner.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:25 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,433 times
Loud music is rude but there is no need to call the police at this point, just tell them it's louder than you expected and turn it down. How about your neighbors, can't they hear it too and what do they think? Have everyone take turns telling the new neighbors to quiet down.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:49 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
I have no interest in being friends with him, giving him alcohol or food. Asking someone their musical preference does not give you the right to blare your music throughout the neighborhood. Its not a pass, it doesn't work like that. There are disturbing the peace laws for that very reason.

I'll reiterate what others have said.

He gave you all 2 opportunities to speak up. You didn't. You should be berating yourselves for being passive aggressive, and being too afraid to actually say "You know, the music IS starting to be annoying, would you mind turning it down some?"

But no...people just can't speak up for themselves anymore. Call the cops instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships