Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 04:23 AM

1,058 posts, read 675,615 times

Advertisements

#2, they were doing you a favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 04:25 AM

716 posts, read 556,863 times
My son was not paid anything for watching the dog. We've exchanged favors with this neighbor previously.

He required more than a band-aid - almost stitches but not quite - the wound was wrapped, he needed a tetanus shot, and antibiotic prescription.

No "dog bite report" was ever made. Medical facility didn't ask who owned dog.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:51 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
Suppose you asked your neighbor friend to feed and let your dog out while you're on vacation. Your dog bites the neighbor's hand, unprovoked. It's not a SERIOUS injury, but there was a lot of blood and it did require medical attention. Out of pocket expenses for the injury were under $50.00. Would you:

1.) Offer to reimburse only the amount of out of pocket expenses.

2.) Round it up to a higher number or perhaps give something additional such as a gift card or tickets
to a baseball game.

3.) Turn it over to your homeowner's insurance company.
Pay the expenses and something else - invite them over for dinner, treat them to dinner, a case of beer (whatever makes sense). Honestly, I'd be doing that even if the dog did NOT bite my neighbor. Show them your appreciate what they did for you and your dog.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:59 AM

716 posts, read 556,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Pay the expenses and something else - invite them over for dinner, treat them to dinner, a case of beer (whatever makes sense). Honestly, I'd be doing that even if the dog did NOT bite my neighbor. Show them your appreciate what they did for you and your dog.
I agree. That's what the neighbor should have done for us.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:01 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times
The neighbors behaved badly toward your son and also very imprudently as to their own interests (regardless of whether the dog was provoked or not it should not ever be biting to draw blood and requiring immediate medical care) but you should have been upfront with this forum when asking for advice rather than playing sly with the forum to prove some point or another which frankly is lost on me. I'm personally less likely to be helpful to you in the future based on this "experiment" of yours. Think about it from an honest respondent's point of view. Would you like to have someone attempt to manipulate your response to a misleading scenario? And frankly I'm not sure what you were hoping to gain as most of our answers were the same regardless, including mine.

It has apparently been quite a while since this has happened. you should probably let it go for your own sake if not your son's. The neighbors were wrong. If that's what you wanted to hear, you've heard it from the beginning. Now I'm really done here.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:49 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Suppose you asked your neighbor friend to feed and let your dog out while you're on vacation. Your dog bites the neighbor's hand, unprovoked. It's not a SERIOUS injury, but there was a lot of blood and it did require medical attention. Out of pocket expenses for the injury were under $50.00. Would you:

1.) Offer to reimburse only the amount of out of pocket expenses.

2.) Round it up to a higher number or perhaps give something additional such as a gift card or tickets
to a baseball game.

3.) Turn it over to your homeowner's insurance company.
My HO policy doesn't cover dogs. So #3 is out.

I would do #2 - pay for OOP expenses + extra for the trouble.

But I wouldn't have a neighbor take care of my dog while I'm away. Only a professional. My dogs go into kennels when I'm away. Not one of those play off leash day cares, either. They sit in kennels, except for being taken out and walked a bit several times a day.

Is it hard on them? Yes. Would they prefer to be in a daycare situation? Maybe/maybe not. But when I get back, I know that they are unharmed and in the same condition I left them in. I don't go away much, though, and when I do, it's only for a few days. I wouldn't have dogs, if i were a travelin' gal. Dogs are for nesters, IMO.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:11 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
I’m glad to hear that your neighbor paid the bill, but not good they they did so, grudgingly and then cut off all contact. Sorry that happened to your family. Some people don’t know how to take responsibility.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:55 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
People aren't allowed to vacation without their pets in your world? Wow..
Dogs are not solitary animals. They need more interaction than just someone coming around to feed them and let them out to go to the bathroom.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:17 AM

265 posts, read 155,484 times
Quote:
I agree. That's what the neighbor should have done for us.
Why so cheap on their part? They grudgingly paid the medical bills? Did they think your son did something to the dog ? That sounds really stingy.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:06 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,423,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
My dog, one of the sweetest on the planet accidentally broke skin when she was overly anxious to get a cookie I was handing her. Completely my fault. It was reported because the bite got infected (hand blew up and got really red) and I had to seek medical care. The Sheriffs office was called. They visited the house. It was a mess.

Whaaaat? I get bitten by my dogs all the time (I have Malinois and they are fast and strong) on accident. I cannot fathom a medical provider deciding they needed to report an injury in that way. How inappropriate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships