Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 08:58 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post

i don't get what you mean about the problem with him and work? to me it's 2 different things and situations.
It's two different situations with you as the common element.

How you approach the situations is very important, and you say you have always been used to taking care of yourself but right now in both situations you are just sort of letting things happen without actually being accountable for how they turn out.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:40 AM

407 posts, read 369,918 times
One additional bit of advice that I don't see brought up here (sorry if I missed it): Make sure you understand the deadlines for dropping classes and tuition refund policies. If you do indeed register for 5 classes (IMHO, that is a lot for a first year student), if you need to drop one (or more) to keep your head above water, you'll want to keep in mind the deadlines by which you can do it. It's not uncommon for students to drop classes, but you just want to make sure you do it correctly so that you don't receive an incomplete or failing grade. You also should know what (if any) tuition refund options there are for dropping classes.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:44 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Quote:
i understand what your saying. Since then though our relationship has changed. yes, we are fwb. But he has offered to help me. i do feel weird accepting the help because as i have said so many times before, i am used to taking care of myself. i don't feel like i depend on him too much. he listens to me and offers me help so i take it. i do love and care about him so i don't feel like i am taking advantage of him. i don't have any expectations. at first it was a having fun only thing but now its gotten a little more serious since hes trying to help me w/ life goals. he says he cares about me and i believe him.

i don't get what you mean about the problem with him and work? to me it's 2 different things and situations.

i actually wouldnt mind having roommates! It sounds fun lol. Especially if it was with people my age. I'm open to stuff but only if i knew the people. if i do that i want to meet people and be friends w/ them first if that makes sense. i don't think i would want to move in w/ strangers. but thanks for the tip!

i know what you mean nyc and i don't take your comments that way. i try to read what advice people share w/ me and i know lots of people on here have good hearts it's honestly just a few that get rude w/ me and bring up old stuff again and again. i just hate that a few people on here get mean and also say things that arent true. Or bringing up my past when I'm talking about stuff that has nothing to do with what they are bringing up. it just gets very annoying. thank you for being nice!

Thank you for taking the time to write this. i have a lot to think about. i honestly didn't know that about online classes. i will have to look into it more but maybe yeah I should just take classes in person w/ the teacher and in the classroom. i am for sure going to ask the counselor about it. who knows, maybe i can take some later on or something. not sure yet.

Yeah lol that is a LOT of studying. with work i don't think i would have time for that and still sleep. but i guess i will just have to see. And yes i am going to go in and talk to someone about everything.
When you visit the CC, be sure to ask about on-campus student jobs. You'd be right there, you have work experience that might be beneficial in getting an on-campus job (maybe in the cafeteria or library), and this might be a lot easier to juggle than off-campus work, as you could fit your working hours and your classes together more easily. However, the pay might not be adequate for your needs.

Also, a question came to my mind after reading your description of your relationship with "your guy". If you were just good friends - minus the "benefits" - would he still be making as many promises to assist you with your various expenses? From what you wrote, it seems that the relationship has cooled down emotionally for him - but perhaps, not for you, as you say you love him.

Daisy, those of us here who've expressed concern just don't want you to get hurt again. It might be wise to have a heart to heart talk with your "friend", and see where the relationship is going. It sounds to me as if your expectations and his might be very, very different. Clearing the air might be indicated, and it would be better to do it now rather than later, so you can take care of yourself without relying upon his many promises.

If he truly is concerned and caring and generous, he will come through for you. But if he's just in it for the "benefits", well, better to find out now that all those promises are empty, rather than later. I do hope this is not the case, but your description of your relationship with this guy and his many promises raises doubts for me. Is he paying for any of your expenses right now, or just promising to do so in the future?

Old 05-31-2018, 09:57 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Another suggestion: be sure to take placement tests before starting classes. You might be eligible for skipping some of the basic freshman level classes, or you might get placed into advanced level classes - or you might need some remedial work. A good college counselor can help you with this.

I'd bet you're a good candidate for advanced freshman English, for starters. Just watch your punctuation and capitalization, and take it up a step from your posts here. If you can find a good used (or library, but it's better to have your own) copy of Strunk and White's classic "The Elements of Style" and study it, you easily can polish your writing. Your grammar is fine and so is your content, and both indicate intelligence.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:45 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxxm98 View Post
I came from a an upbringing that wasn’t easy. I could write a story , it wasn’t easy, one thing my mom told me over and over, you are responsible for yourself, the only person you can rely on is yourself.
+1.

It's a potential disaster in the making.

Even with loans, drop out due to transportation issues and loans soon come due. So all that & $50,000+ in debt that doesn't go away until you're dead. Talk about stress now? Just wait.

Anyway, a better plan has to be made.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:54 AM

314 posts, read 237,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
+1.

It's a potential disaster in the making.

Even with loans, drop out due to transportation issues and loans soon come due. So all that & $50,000+ in debt that doesn't go away until you're dead. Talk about stress now? Just wait.

Anyway, a better plan has to be made.
Exactly, I’m not that much older then Daisy, but like we all made mistakes, I see the train coming, and you just have to watch. I’m concerned, as I like her, but I don’t see it going the way she does

Old 05-31-2018, 01:01 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
I may have missed it but what made you want to be a lawyer? And do you really want to spend 10+ years of your life in school?

Old 05-31-2018, 01:32 PM

20,757 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
well i guess the reason I want to take five is because i would get done quicker. i would like to get a better job and get my own apartment hopefully or maybe a townhouse (that's the dream lol). I would def like to move out of the motel. i like it and everything but it has its problems. there have also been break ins here. I feel safe and stuff but really I'd like to get a place so i can have my own place to call home.

but yes, i understand what you and others here are saying. i guess i will also talk with the college to see what they think as well. i just hope i can at least have a two year degree in two years so i can get a better job and move on. after that a 4 year degree and hopefully law school.
I would go to the college asap. The financial office there. Ask what help you can get. There are tons of options, you just need to go there and ask. At my community college here they currently offer free classes for 2 years for first timers.

http://www.oxnardcollege.edu/service...ollege-promise

Old 05-31-2018, 01:37 PM

20,757 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1957 View Post
Have you ever taken the SAT?

Or a placement test at a community college to see where your academic level is?

How will you get to classes without a vehicle or driver's license?
I never had to take a SAT and went from community college all the way up to Masters Degree.
If she can get to work without a vehicle, she can get to college without one.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:58 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
If she can get to work without a vehicle, she can get to college without one.
That's a pretty big assumption. My daughter has an apartment with probably a couple dozen McJobs within walking distance, however the only CC in the area is roughly 25 minutes away in the middle of farm country. I guess there is always uber, but depending on distance that could quickly get expensive for someone making minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships