Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 07:11 PM

11,784 posts, read 12,022,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Waiting tables is a physical and stressful job.

What about something where you sit down and work on your own a lot, like medical transcription?
What about looking for a job as a receptionist in a law office? Off your feet, and an insider's look at the profession she's interested in. An office job would also be more suitable if it came to taking classes in the evenings.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:12 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
She would need training, which is not free.

Even if she found a good training program (a lot of the remaining online programs are problematic, and many community colleges no longer teach MT) and could pay for it and complete it, she would then be a newbie competing with the increasing numbers of experienced MTs who have lost their jobs to technology and off-shoring.

Companies don't pay a premium for experience, so they can pick and choose among a large candidate pool of experienced workers, leaving the newbies struggling to find work.
OK, point taken, but with all this talk about a bum leg, I think she needs to think about a desk job. Temp agencies are always hiring and it gives the opportunity to pick up office skills and network too. My first two "real" jobs started everybody from temp-to-hire. Waiting tables is for high energy people, especially if you're just learning the industry.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:57 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
What about looking for a job as a receptionist in a law office? Off your feet, and an insider's look at the profession she's interested in. An office job would also be more suitable if it came to taking classes in the evenings.
She simply doesn't have those skills yet.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:52 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Considering the problems that you have with your leg, I would caution you against getting a job as a waitress. Depending on the restaurant you probably would have to be on your feet/legs the entire shift, carry huge trays of food and quickly move from place to place. While I have never worked in a place like McDonalds I suspect that being a waitress (in most places) would be far more physically demanding than working at a fast food place.
I'd say I did more heavy lifting in fast food, and more running around waitressing. Both were pretty physically wearisome.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:52 AM

716 posts, read 556,695 times
Temp agencies are scams. They're just looking for a pool of contacts, keep advertising the same jobs, and when you contact them about a certain job they say it's filled.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:49 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
Temp agencies are scams. They're just looking for a pool of contacts, keep advertising the same jobs, and when you contact them about a certain job they say it's filled.
Hmmmm. So they are just hoarding people's names and resumes, and never filling jobs? What a devilishly clever business plan!

Old 06-27-2018, 06:08 AM

374 posts, read 759,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
This was my experience when I dealt with a few temp agencies. It was back in 2005, so it may even be worse now. I felt very mislead by them and ended up just finding employment on my own.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:32 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
OK, point taken, but with all this talk about a bum leg, I think she needs to think about a desk job. Temp agencies are always hiring and it gives the opportunity to pick up office skills and network too. My first two "real" jobs started everybody from temp-to-hire. Waiting tables is for high energy people, especially if you're just learning the industry.
I've done both...waiting tables, and temping (office skills).

Hated the waiting jobs! Ack!

And every temp job I ever had, they wanted to hire me full-time. A temp agency is a great idea for someone with at least minimal office skills. You'd probably have to take some tests; I did back then.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:49 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,526,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
She simply doesn't have those skills yet.
What skills does the OP have? Basic cooking, customer service skills, cleaning? What was involved in her work at McDonald's?

And if the OP ever decides to go back to school, she will need a job schedule that will accommodate her class schedule.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:54 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
What skills does the OP have? Basic cooking, customer service skills, cleaning? What was involved in her work at McDonald's?

And if the OP ever decides to go back to school, she will need a job schedule that will accommodate her class schedule.
Unless she gets some kind of grant or scholarship that pays living expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships