Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 12:54 PM

171 posts, read 144,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
What is your plan if you move in with your Mom and it doesn't work out? Would you be able to stay with another relative in the area?
Yes . Probably my grandma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 02:23 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,720,307 times
Well that's good, at least you have an option if it doesn't work out with your Mom.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:46 PM

7,020 posts, read 6,237,061 times
The scary part is your mom's addiction. I've seen friends who 'got sober' & then relapsed - one to the point that I couldn't take the ups & downs anymore & had to cut her out of my life. That was hard.

Your child has to come into the equation. Sure he gets along with Gram now but what's going to happen if she relapsed & he is forced to see that? Tough one for a kid, as it seems you know.

Sometimes the only way to get back on your feet is with help from the family. Have you discussed with your grandmother the possibility of your moving there rather than your mom's?

Old 06-06-2018, 03:34 AM

983 posts, read 2,765,256 times
I would stay put and save, save, save until I had enough to move. I would definitely not advise moving in with mom, especially since you have a child and who knows if your mom will relapse. I think something like 90% of addicts do relapse so the odds are against her.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:35 AM

983 posts, read 2,765,256 times
PS The cost of living in Philadelphia is reasonable as far as big cities go.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:32 AM

9,255 posts, read 11,009,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
How about neither and moving to an area with an actual economy?
My suggestion too. You're a genius, SWFL_!

Old 06-08-2018, 11:33 AM

719 posts, read 1,052,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen9189 View Post
So I am originally from Ohio, but I'm living in Alabama. I moved here based off a job offer last year, upon moving here the job quickly went under. Something that blindsided me and I felt the company knew before hiring me. Once that happened I had no choice due to bills and responsibilities to find something fast and quickly, which unfortunately consisted of temp jobs. The city that I live in itself is much smaller than where Im from and used to, but I enjoy the southern atmosphere and always enjoyed living in the southern region, but job wise the opportunities are extremely limited. I've applied to everything under the sun that I believe would be a great job for me , but no luck thus far.

Right now Im working a "mediocre" sales job, Im literally paycheck to paycheck, My family has been very adamant about me coming home, stating that "my support system" is there. My mom wants me to move in with her, but we are just now getting on the right track, she has had a drug problem since I was a child and is just recently getting herself cleaned up. She has built a great relationship with her grandson and he loves her dearly, but I do find myself sometimes apprehensive. My mom has had a rocky road and messed up alot in the past, Im happy she is clean, but I do know that she has relapsed before.

Yes it would be great to live rent free for a year to save money, but I sometimes think at what expense? I've lived on my own since I was 19 yrs old. So I am used to my space. Also with my mothers previous drug issues, it makes me worried that she could relapse. My grandma told me that this dosent have to be permanent, That I can move back home for a year or two, to get on my feet and then eventually If I want to move back to the south I can, which is true.

I guess I'm just torn on whether I should move home, or stay where I am and just figure it out from here. Either way I know I wanted to move from my current location, I was interested in Texas or ATL, but I do know both places require a good amount of money to live comfortably. Something I dont fully have and at this rate being that we already halfway thru the year I honestly dont think I will be able to save where I currently work.
Thanks for reading some insight would be nice
Have you considered Upstate South Carolina? The Greenville area is booming and it's decent sized . Greenville's unemployment rate as of March was 3.4%.Believe it or not but the population of SC is larger than Alabama. In 2017 Alabama's population was 4.875 million while SC's population was 5.024 million in 2017. I attached a picture of downtown Greenville.Downtown has changed a lot since that was taken but it gives you an idea of what it's like.The urban area of Greenville is 400,000 and the metro area is over 1.2 million.Feel free to message me here if you would like more info on Greenville or other areas in SC.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I move with my back home?-greenvillesc-downtown-apr-2-2018.jpg  

Last edited by senecaman; 06-08-2018 at 11:46 AM..

Old 06-08-2018, 01:24 PM

171 posts, read 144,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
Have you considered Upstate South Carolina? The Greenville area is booming and it's decent sized . Greenville's unemployment rate as of March was 3.4%.Believe it or not but the population of SC is larger than Alabama. In 2017 Alabama's population was 4.875 million while SC's population was 5.024 million in 2017. I attached a picture of downtown Greenville.Downtown has changed a lot since that was taken but it gives you an idea of what it's like.The urban area of Greenville is 400,000 and the metro area is over 1.2 million.Feel free to message me here if you would like more info on Greenville or other areas in SC.
You Know I never thought of SC before, but I have heard nothing but great things about the area, I definitely should look into it. Thank You

Old 06-08-2018, 01:37 PM

2,696 posts, read 3,755,148 times
Given your mother's unpredictable situation, I would do what I could NOT to move in with her. I think if you got a better job offer where you are now is a better idea. I hope whatever you decide it will work out for you and your child.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:16 AM

1,201 posts, read 795,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen9189 View Post
So I am originally from Ohio, but I'm living in Alabama. I moved here based off a job offer last year, upon moving here the job quickly went under. Something that blindsided me and I felt the company knew before hiring me. Once that happened I had no choice due to bills and responsibilities to find something fast and quickly, which unfortunately consisted of temp jobs. The city that I live in itself is much smaller than where Im from and used to, but I enjoy the southern atmosphere and always enjoyed living in the southern region, but job wise the opportunities are extremely limited. I've applied to everything under the sun that I believe would be a great job for me , but no luck thus far.

Right now Im working a "mediocre" sales job, Im literally paycheck to paycheck, My family has been very adamant about me coming home, stating that "my support system" is there. My mom wants me to move in with her, but we are just now getting on the right track, she has had a drug problem since I was a child and is just recently getting herself cleaned up. She has built a great relationship with her grandson and he loves her dearly, but I do find myself sometimes apprehensive. My mom has had a rocky road and messed up alot in the past, Im happy she is clean, but I do know that she has relapsed before.

Yes it would be great to live rent free for a year to save money, but I sometimes think at what expense? I've lived on my own since I was 19 yrs old. So I am used to my space. Also with my mothers previous drug issues, it makes me worried that she could relapse. My grandma told me that this dosent have to be permanent, That I can move back home for a year or two, to get on my feet and then eventually If I want to move back to the south I can, which is true.

I guess I'm just torn on whether I should move home, or stay where I am and just figure it out from here. Either way I know I wanted to move from my current location, I was interested in Texas or ATL, but I do know both places require a good amount of money to live comfortably. Something I dont fully have and at this rate being that we already halfway thru the year I honestly dont think I will be able to save where I currently work.
Thanks for reading some insight would be nice
You’re an adult, figure it out. What do you need to do to improve your job situation. You say you are working at a “mediocre sales job” - does that mean you are doing a mediocre job, giving mediocre effort? Are there people at your company doing more than just getting by paycheck to paycheck and actually thriving there? If so, think about what you need to do to move from “mediocre” to successful. Is there someone doing well at your company that you could ask to mentor you? Maybe you need additional training, sales classes, read some great books on selling, etc. Maybe sales isn’t your strong suit and there is another position at your company that might be a better fit? What can you do to make the job you have a great job for you? What about a roommate to help with expenses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships