Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 05:09 PM

10,329 posts, read 7,911,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
These are not "people" coming to someone's house. These are adult children & grandkuds coming to visit their father/grandfather's home.

How does your husband feel about it?
The OP said in post #23 that he didn't like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 05:17 PM

14,869 posts, read 12,012,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
You try to flip the issue quite nicely, but it's not some random pooch. My random pooch stays home while I work everyday. When she was a puppy, my husband was home with her during that time. We would not have been able to come your great party when she was a puppy.

I had an elderly mutt that was prone to seizures. We couldn't leave him alone either in that state. For the years of joy and laughter, love and support he gave both of us, it would not leave us with a good feeling to suddenly treat him like a spare pair of shoes. In that case, we would have to skip your great party as well.

Im not accusing anyone of having their nose out of joint because they are asthmatic. Why would I be spoken of negatively for putting my extended family members above your great party. If the party is even a good one, who would miss me?
I don't think anyone is criticizing you, or anyone for choosing to stay home with your dogs if you feel they can't be left on their own for any length of time rather than attend a party or another event. That is your choice, and you owe no one any apologies or explanations for staying home with your critters.

The issue is when a dog owner insists on bringing his/her dog (s) along uninvited to someone else's house, and especially when the dogs are not well behaved, not potty trained, and are generally a nuisance. And it's nothing short of chutzpah to take offense against a homeowner for not welcoming an uninvited, ill-behaved dog into his/her home with open arms.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:24 PM

9,471 posts, read 9,331,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
is there an actual sig that says no emotional support dogs ? they could be sued and most likely they will be just wait .
Emotional support animals are a joke. These peeps should get a therapist!

Old 06-06-2018, 08:31 PM

10,497 posts, read 6,961,589 times
Quote:
You try to flip the issue quite nicely, but it's not some random pooch. My random pooch stays home while I work everyday. When she was a puppy, my husband was home with her during that time. We would not have been able to come your great party when she was a puppy.

I had an elderly mutt that was prone to seizures. We couldn't leave him alone either in that state. For the years of joy and laughter, love and support he gave both of us, it would not leave us with a good feeling to suddenly treat him like a spare pair of shoes. In that case, we would have to skip your great party as well.

Im not accusing anyone of having their nose out of joint because they are asthmatic. Why would I be spoken of negatively for putting my extended family members above your great party. If the party is even a good one, who would miss me?
So you're going to drag your sick dog to someone else's house so it can get sick there?

Old 06-06-2018, 08:34 PM

9,471 posts, read 9,331,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
People didn't used to bring their damn children everywhere either, but here we are.
So true! Things have certainly changed the last few years. I think it’s possibly because both “parents” work and want to spend their free time with their pets and kids. People are more rude and self-aggrandizing than in previous years. I wouldn’t want anyone to bring their dog to my home on my new hardwoods. Same goes for uninvited kids, or gerbils, ferrets, birds, etc,

Old 06-06-2018, 11:28 PM

11,039 posts, read 17,432,078 times
My wife's cousin brought her dog to a family reunion dinner. This dog is a golden lab, not a little critter by any means. This was the kind of meal where you sit where you can find a place, couch, window sill, etc. I had set my plate down to get my wife a drink and came back to see the dog eating off my plate. I smacked the dog's butt pretty hard which made the cousin mad. "Why did you hit my dog?" "Because he ate my food. Anybody with any common sense should have known not to bring a dog to something like this." Then another cousin had to comment that I should have smacked her instead of the dog because the dog doesn't know better, but she should. Cousin, and dog, went home. I had several people thank me for making her mad enough to leave with the dog.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:40 PM

1,201 posts, read 796,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Emotional support animals are a joke. These peeps should get a therapist!
Yes, and there is no scientific evidence to support their efficacy. This law needs to be done away with. It is mainly used as a way to circumvent restrictions, avoid paying pet deposits, pet rents, and airline fees, and being able to force your dog on the general public.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:43 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,064,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Yes, and there is no scientific evidence to support their efficacy. This law needs to be done away with. It is mainly used as a way to circumvent restrictions, avoid paying pet deposits, pet rents, and airline fees, and being able to force your dog on the general public.
How many decades did people claim there was no scientific evidence that marijuana had medicinal value? How many states now have medical marijuana available? In some cases, scientific evidence is like a unicorn. There when you want it, but otherwise mystical.

Suffice it to say there are a number of soldiers and infirmed people who do not see the 'main purpose' of therapy dogs as being a way to get around fees. Many of these people never fly at all. Truth be told, dogs are a lot more expensive to properly maintain than most of the fees you quoted.

Back on topic:

The OP only complained that she didn't have as much time to visit with the dog owners, because she was inside and they were outside on the deck with the dogs. She didn't state whether she would have preferred that they didn't come at all.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:32 AM

13,440 posts, read 15,387,274 times
Whoever upthread mentioned that this behavior usually involves dogs is spot on. There are so many other companion animals out there that are "members of the family" and they aren't toted around everywhere. How about reptile owners? do you see people walking around with pythons hanging all over their necks or iguanas in their arms (of course there are those who do tote such animals, but it's not often. We also have a rabbit who is a family member, but he stays home as well.

It's totally wrong in my book to bring your dog to parties uninvited. People do not have to accommodate animals.

Many dogs that don't have medical problems can handle being alone for hours. Our dog is home while we are at work. they appreciate routine and that helps with the anxiety. he knows that we will always come home to him.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:47 AM

1,201 posts, read 796,921 times
Quote:
How many decades did people claim there was no scientific evidence that marijuana had medicinal value? How many states now have medical marijuana available? In some cases, scientific evidence is like a unicorn. There when you want it, but otherwise mystical.

Suffice it to say there are a number of soldiers and infirmed people who do not see the 'main purpose' of therapy dogs as being a way to get around fees. Many of these people never fly at all. Truth be told, dogs are a lot more expensive to properly maintain than most of the fees you quoted.

Back on topic:

The OP only complained that she didn't have as much time to visit with the dog owners, because she was inside and they were outside on the deck with the dogs. She didn't state whether she would have preferred that they didn't come at all.
Yes, the placebo effect and power of suggestion is very powerful but the need to apply it to something else that doesn’t affect anyone else. We ALL enjoy having our pets around. We are ALL happier and more relaxed around our pets. However, if you can’t manage outside the house without dragging your animals everywhere like Linus with a blankie, take medication or stay home. The whole ESA nonsense is a scam. Nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships