Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 01:11 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times

Advertisements

The one that will never have children because of the lack of in person interaction?

Seriously my sympathies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 03:07 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
You are not unique, OP, but I daresay you are ill.

Hikikomori: Worrying mental health problem traps Japanese at home - Business Insider

Old 06-04-2018, 03:12 PM

17 posts, read 15,940 times
I am finding it interesting that originally I was attacked and told my lifestyle was not at all common but now more and more posters are saying that in fact, many people are now choosing a lifestyle of being indoors most of the time.

People are admitting that it is easier to interact with a wide variety of people online about topics and activities that just did not exist 20 years ago.

Look at the:

Number of TV Shows and Movies available on Amazon and Cable TV
The Number of Video Games
The Online Interest Groups
The Great Youtube Videos
Wonderful Message Boards (Like City-data)
The products that can be shipped via eBay and Amazon
The number of jobs that can be done online

And the incredible number of people who are like me and I can interact with online

Living and working online inside is the way to go now days!

Old 06-04-2018, 03:17 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarely leave the house View Post
I get plenty of physical exercises through my in-home gym. I devote an hour to exercise a day. Every once in a while I go outside on my porch but the many diversions inside make my time out on the porch very limited.

There is no need to see the outdoors when I can look at scenic videos on YOUTUBE. No knats or mosquitos.
There is more to do inside today than a hundred lifetimes in the 1950s.
I hope this is a joke or troll post, but if you think watching videos on YouTube = walking outside and taking in REAL nature, I legitimately feel sorry for you. Can YouTube recreate the sounds, smells, and sights of walking along the coast or mountains? Or even through your local parks on a warm summer night? Doubt it.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:33 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I know lots of people doing what the OP says. I think it's sad that they are so engrossed in their small cocoon that they forget there is a big, wide world out there.
OTOH, they DO know how to take lots of selfies. They get no exercise or sunshine so they look like Eddie Munster or the Greys we hear about on Coast To Coast AM.
They have no social skills so going outside could well be terrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK0dOGfr-Qc

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
That's perfectly fine for people with social retardation and no interest in sex or other forms of physical human contact.

Also, people who can cut their own hair and give themselves massages.
Haha. Somehow this isn't the Idealistic Techno-Droid Future I've read about in the past.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:35 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Living and working online inside is the way to go now days!
Not for me. I would hate being inside all the time and seeing the same walls 24/7. Experiencing life through media is not something that I find at all palatable.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:40 PM

17 posts, read 15,940 times
If face to face interaction and outdoor activities were so great you would not see most people sitting together staring at their Smartphones instead of looking at each other eye to eye and face to face.

Through the Internet I hire service people to come to me:

People who cut my hair
People who will talk to me about my hopes and dreams
People who take care of my physical needs
Doctors, Lawyers, and other licensed professionals.

The only reason I have to leave the house in 2018 is going to the dentist once a year.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
If face to face interaction and outdoor activities were so great you would not see most people sitting together staring at their Smartphones instead of looking at each other eye to eye and face to face.

Through the Internet I hire service people to come to me:

People who cut my hair
People who will talk to me about my hopes and dreams
People who take care of my physical needs
Doctors, Lawyers, and other licensed professionals.

The only reason I have to leave the house in 2018 is going to the dentist once a year.
They can’t deliver the sound and feel of the ocean (or any body of water), the experience of interacting face-to-face with new people, the energy of a crowd watching a concert/show together, playing team sports, riding a horse, etc. But hey, if you’re okay with living in a cocoon, that is your choice.

Still leaning towards this being a troll post, though, as even the teenagers these days appreciate SOME outdoor activities!

Old 06-04-2018, 04:07 PM

6,560 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Any time a “new” poster starts a thread claiming X way is the only way to live and cannot fathom why anyone would want to live Y way is always suspect.

I also see that OP was careful not to state which generation he is referring to but it certainly seems like a tongue in cheek dig to the millennial and Z generations.

Of course this one dimension thinking could be a result of living a one dimension life.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned
No, I don't think we can agree to that... since I don't know anyone who NEVER leaves their house, aside from maybe the non-mobile elderly and disabled. Sure, we can do MORE things from our homes now, but for most people that's just an added convenience (as opposed to their entire life). I'll agree maybe that we spend less time outside overall, which is different from you saying "I don't ever need to go out."

Humans usually crave real-live interactions with other humans, at least to some degree, and also the feeling of being outside. I have to be careful about sun exposure, since I'm a redhead who burns very easily, but I still enjoy the outdoors - especially at night! That's one of the reasons I got a dog, as it motivates me to walk around the neighborhood and/or parks daily. Maybe you need to get a dog?

Last edited by june 7th; 06-06-2018 at 09:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships