Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 08:00 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times

Advertisements

Eh these seem to be the same people who talk trash about facebook "stalkers," and yet they posted it on a very public forum. I see nothing wrong with what you did but you should probably handle it the same way you would if you were at a party and take her aside. Then when she says she's not open to discuss it you can ask her why she put it out there for the whole world to see. Maybe she'll learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 08:07 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Maybe she posted it in a moment of weakness, when she was really sick up to here with friends suggesting OLD?

It's not like she posted I've broken up with that bastard and good riddance, and then rudely rejected a private comment.
Don’t matter. Anything you post, people have every right to inquire since you are the one who put it out there on a public forum. If it ain’t no one’s business don’t put it out there in the first place.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:13 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
She said she’s “happy being single” - how is that vague?

It also doesn’t invite friends - and I use “friends” lightly because it’s most often acquaintances - to inquire why her past relationship failed. If this were a good friend, an actual friend, then you would have known her status already.

OP, are you on the spectrum? I ask only because it seems you have trouble picking up on social cues and navigating social situations.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:16 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,719,216 times
The only person who seems offended is you, Op.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
There was this woman that posted something online about how her friends are trying to get her into the dating game. And to "knock it off" with the online dating suggestions. And that she's "happy being single"

I guess I was out of the loop, but I thought she had a long term boyfriend. So I responded, "I thought you had a boyfriend"

And she responds with, "It's inappropriate to post about my personal life on here, Facebook is NOT a diary!"

Now I didn't want to get into a back and forth with her. But yeah...Facebook essentially IS a diary because people are always airing their dirty laundry out.

AND...considering what she posted, is it quite foolish to think HOW people would respond?

I'd always get in trouble with people who "Vague-book", lol. It's funny. When they would post something that's kind of...well, vague, and you ask for details. They don't respond or get irritated.

Or if it's a grievance, they want pity, not feedback or suggestions.

Anyone run into this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
She said she’s “happy being single” - how is that vague?

It also doesn’t invite friends - and I use “friends” lightly because it’s most often acquaintances - to inquire why her past relationship failed. If this were a good friend, an actual friend, then you would have known her status already.

OP, are you on the spectrum? I ask only because it seems you have trouble picking up on social cues and navigating social situations.
Wrong! She posted what I bolded. If she don’t want people to inquire, she has the options to post....wait for it....NOTHING!

Old 06-06-2018, 08:23 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Wrong! She posted what I bolded. If she don’t want people to inquire, she has the options to post....wait for it....NOTHING!
Actually, she has the freedom to post whatever she would like to post. She also has the option to respond or not respond to messages the way she sees fit.

It's likely she wants *some* people to know she is available. It's also likely she would respond positively to them if they sent her a message. If she doesn't respond positively to your message, she is certainly letting you know where you stand, in that regard.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:26 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,244 times
Yes, all the time OP.

Recently, there was one fat gal full of tattoos on WordPress. She aspired to be a fetish model of sorts. Her website as all about photos of her in underwear. She posted some shots in her undies and blocked the nipples see-through. I commented nicely she should not block the nipples. She sent me some hate mail so I unsubbed and added 2 new fat girls on WordPress to replace her that are far more nicer.

Lots of despicable gals full of hate in 2018...just nasty as hell.

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
How is what you’ve pointed out wrong? OP said she posted “happy being single” - that is not vague at all.

If people who don’t know her well feel entitled to ask for details (aka dirt), they certainly can but they are not owed the details. Just because she’s being tactless doesn’t mean you (the general you) have to be tactless as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
Actually, she has the freedom to post whatever she would like to post. She also has the option to respond or not respond to messages the way she sees fit.

It's likely she wants *some* people to know she is available. It's also likely she would respond positively to them if they sent her a message. If she doesn't respond positively to your message, she is certainly letting you know where you stand, in that regard.
Freedom to post does not mean freedom from consequences of posting. People being curious is a consequence of posting. What is so complicated about this concept that people don’t get?

20,381 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Lawdy. This is why for me, Facebook is for funnies and cat pictures, and those who annoy me with vaguebooking and drama, I just unfollow them. It's my job to curate the content of my own feed like that.

My reaction is generally not, "Oh, here's someone's business, just sitting right out here where anyone can see like a dog turd on a sidewalk, I'm gonna stick my nose in it."

(That's what CD is for.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships