Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 06:52 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,034,852 times

Advertisements

There was this woman that posted something online about how her friends are trying to get her into the dating game. And to "knock it off" with the online dating suggestions. And that she's "happy being single"

I guess I was out of the loop, but I thought she had a long term boyfriend. So I responded, "I thought you had a boyfriend"

And she responds with, "It's inappropriate to post about my personal life on here, Facebook is NOT a diary!"

Now I didn't want to get into a back and forth with her. But yeah...Facebook essentially IS a diary because people are always airing their dirty laundry out.

AND...considering what she posted, is it quite foolish to think HOW people would respond?

I'd always get in trouble with people who "Vague-book", lol. It's funny. When they would post something that's kind of...well, vague, and you ask for details. They don't respond or get irritated.

Or if it's a grievance, they want pity, not feedback or suggestions.

Anyone run into this?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-06-2018 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: Edited thread title to delete offensive word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 06:57 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Nope.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:01 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,024 times
I just ignore people like that, all they want is attention and drama. The best thing you could have done is not said anything, if more people ignore her, she will get the hint.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:10 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
HMMM. Do you see the little "message" link in the corner of their page? That's where you can ask nosy questions that might be embarrassing. Even then, you don't say "I thought you had a boyfriend?" when it's obvious she doesn't.

Questions you ask publicly under a post aren't meant to embarrass or pry. "Cute puppy! Is that a border collie?", and "You went to Mick's Pub? Did you like it - we're planning to try it out".

If someone posts something that honestly confuses you, or concerns you (Please pray for my family, etc.) that's when you message them and say "I saw your recent post. I'm not sure what's going on, but you're in my thoughts. Please let me know if you need anything".

Basically, you know, like how you act in real life. Ask questions in a group that are general interest, get someone in private if you want to be nosy.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
HMMM. Do you see the little "message" link in the corner of their page? That's where you can ask nosy questions that might be embarrassing. Even then, you don't say "I thought you had a boyfriend?" when it's obvious she doesn't.

Questions you ask publicly under a post aren't meant to embarrass or pry. "Cute puppy! Is that a border collie?", and "You went to Mick's Pub? Did you like it - we're planning to try it out".

If someone posts something that honestly confuses you, or concerns you (Please pray for my family, etc.) that's when you message them and say "I saw your recent post. I'm not sure what's going on, but you're in my thoughts. Please let me know if you need anything".

Basically, you know, like how you act in real life. Ask questions in a group that are general interest, get someone in private if you want to be nosy.
I did, and she still didn't want to discuss it, she doesn't want to discuss her dating life. lol And I was like "Well, you're already posting publicly, people are going to ask questions"

I get a kick out of people on Facebook, they post personal crap online, but when asked about it (even in a personal message), they are like "Sorry, I don't feel comfortable talking about it."

These people either should:

1. Stay off of Facebook altogether
2. Keep your whiny bullcrap to themselves.

If they won't do 1 or 2, just unfollow/unfriend them.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:32 AM

Or maybe they should use facebook how they wish to use it. If I have a personal question about a post I see, I send a private message. It's not that hard. Most people know where the barriers are to not cross in public posts.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Or maybe they should use facebook how they wish to use it. If I have a personal question about a post I see, I send a private message. It's not that hard. Most people know where the barriers are to not cross in public posts.
Like I said, I did send her a personal message, asking about the details. She said she's not good with discussing it.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Like I said, I did send her a personal message, asking about the details. She said she's not good with discussing it.

That means it is not your business. That's a perfectly fine answer.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:42 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
If she doesn’t want people to inquire, she needs to not post something like that. It’s that simple.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:50 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
If she doesn’t want people to inquire, she needs to not post something like that. It’s that simple.
Maybe she posted it in a moment of weakness, when she was really sick up to here with friends suggesting OLD?

It's not like she posted I've broken up with that bastard and good riddance, and then rudely rejected a private comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships