Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 08:15 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,282,587 times

Advertisements

I'm from my mother's vagina.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:23 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,058 times
My favorite Uber/Lyft game is to guess where the driver is from. Because so many of them are foreign born. I've gotten pretty good at it.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:25 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,474 times
Well I'll be damned if I will ever ask anyone where they are from after reading this thread.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:25 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Well I'll be damned if I will ever ask anyone where they are from after reading this thread.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:31 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Black people get asked this question? I haven't read all the responses, but "POC" does not automatically mean black. In fact, I'd argue that it probably means you're some other ethnic minority, not African-American. I think black Americans (not immigrant blacks) are pretty clearly American. If nothing else...we "look" American. I'm struggling to think if I've ever been asked where I'm from. I can only recall a time in New York when I was at the Dominican Day parade. This many kept staring at me, and I knew he was trying to determine whether I was Dominican. But instead of asking "Where are you from?" he started talking to me in Spanish. I was outed at that point! It was a clever way to ask what could be construed as an offensive question.

The only other times I get asked where I'm from is if I'm speaking in my native dialect ("slang" to most of you folks) and people want to know if I'm from the South. And I don't get offended because honestly, I can sound pretty country when I'm speaking in that tone. And my people are originally from the South...so hey, they're onto something!

I like to learn about people and their backgrounds and have no shame asking someone where they're from. Sorry not sorry if you get offended. If you're a tan white person who doesn't look "traditionally" American, I'm asking about your background. Usually those people do have a story to tell, and I give myself a little pat on the back. To be a little less offensive I might say, "Where is your family from?" but we still know what that means, so why beat around the bush? Be proud of your heritage!
Yes. One time I had a woman on a bus notice that I had straight hair and she asked where I was from, in them words exactly. I answered "Norfolk and Hampton, Virginia." As luck would have it my stop was next so that ended the convo.

Mind you I am middle of the road in the black shade scale. I also have Indian as well as Caucasian in my bloodline.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:31 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,548,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
No! Then you'll let the terrorists win!

Old 06-06-2018, 08:34 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
No! Then you'll let the terrorists win!
True. And someone who would be automatically offended by my asking is not someone I want to continue speaking with anyway. I have no time for such nonsense as my minutes on this earth are precious and I would rather spend them with people who are pleasant.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:38 PM

203 posts, read 153,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My former PT gets asked that same routine all the time. His mother is Irish-American and his father was born in India and came to the US as a teenager.

His answer is "I was born in Germany on a US Army base to an Irish-American mother and an Indian-born father who was serving in the US military, so I guess that makes me an American."
I ask people all the time where they are from and they ask me. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. People are curious, they want to have a conversation or even become your friend.

When I am asked that I just answer that I live in xxxx and originally I am from yyyy.

And yeah, I am an immigrant.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:49 PM

203 posts, read 153,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
It wouldn't apply to people with accents, because the idea is that "why would you ask a person who spoke perfect US style English where they are from?"
Because you have so much more to talk about!!
When we moved to another state I'd feel excited to just see a car with a licence plate from our home state. And if I had the slightest suspicion the person is from the same area of the country as where I've moved from - I'd ask.
Then after you talk more you realize they lived in the next town over and the next thing you know is you've got some acquaintances in common.
It happens so often!
I would definitely ask a nice pleasant to be around person where they are from, no matter what they look like even speaking perfect English. I may word my question differently depending on the conversation and say something like "have you always lived in xxxx?" or "have you lived anywhere else other than yyyy" or "do you parents live here in the US"...and I get asked the same things...and I have made some very good friends just because it turned out somebody's grandmother was originally from where I came from.

I have no insecurities about who I am and where I am from. Absolutely.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:54 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTheSchmuck View Post
Again, nothing to take offense at. Relax and be happy someone is taking an interest in you.
Not really offense, more closer to annoyance for this question being asked ad nauseum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships