Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 11:40 AM

505 posts, read 583,684 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure where to post this, either here or under parenting, so please forgive me if I posted in error.

I have a family member who is a known criminal since childhood. FBI raided their house, deals drugs, DUI and DWI's, has told us that he wants to "deal with" someone who is a threat to his "business". He will gut the new parts from various online orders and then return the items with old, used parts in their place. (Just like the guy who stole laptop parts from different Wal-Marts https://abcnews.go.com/US/man-charge...ry?id=55953882) He's a real low-life, POS!

The sad and sick part about all of this is there's a kid involved.

Mother is a criminal and addict as well. Among her lesser crimes, she openly brags at how easy it is to pick-pocket.

The kid is turning into a criminal and admitted to me that he knows how to hack and steal credit cards. I told him that wasn't cool and it was just a matter of time before he gets discovered and prosecuted as well.

I'm disgusted with all of this and haven't wanted to keep in touch with them. Blocked them everyway I can. Can/should I report them anonymously to Children and Family Services? Or should I mind my own business and let fate sort things out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 11:46 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Maybe ask yourself what good would calling CFS do? Will the family be split up and the child sent to foster care? Would they go into debt trying to afford lawyers? And if all that happens, is that better for everyone involved?

Old 06-27-2018, 11:49 AM

505 posts, read 583,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Maybe ask yourself what good would calling CFS do? Will the family be split up and the child sent to foster care? Would they go into debt trying to afford lawyers? And if all that happens, is that better for everyone involved?
Good point and I've often thought about this. The kid has criminal in his blood via both parents. Foster care will just bring his inner thug out worse. There's more infuriating behavior to this story, just hard to sit back and take it all in.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:12 PM

17,681 posts, read 9,164,338 times
Tough call. I'd mind my own business.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:16 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
yes in this case I think I would mind my own business and stay far far away from this bunch and hopefully someday the kid will get straightened out but I highly doubt it from the sound of things . This kid will be in prison too .

Old 06-27-2018, 12:18 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,341,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildSpark View Post
Good point and I've often thought about this. The kid has criminal in his blood via both parents. Foster care will just bring his inner thug out worse. There's more infuriating behavior to this story, just hard to sit back and take it all in.
We fostered and then adopted two half-siblings, and all of their birthparents were felons (illegal drug use to theft to statutory rape). One of our kids never even had a misdemeanor, and although the other was arrested for shoplifting about seven years ago, she got her act together after that and married a good man, and she is now almost 27 and is a good mother to three children, ages 3 to 6. In short, although I do agree that some people are more inclined to dishonest and criminal behavior due to genetics, a good environment CAN go a long way in preventing children from repeating their parents' behavior.

Of course, I have read many foster care horror stories, but I find it hard to believe that ALL foster homes are bad. As far as where your young relative would be better off, however, I think that you would know that better than I would, but I am against removing children from their parents unless there is a almost a 100% chance that they would be physically harmed and/or GREATLY emotionally damaged because of the major trauma children receive from being removed from their birthparents, no matter how bad the parents are. In other words, if there is any reasonable doubt as to whether or not the kids would be harmed if they remained with their parents, I think that authorities should give the benefit of the doubt to the parents.

Last edited by katharsis; 06-27-2018 at 12:33 PM..

Old 06-27-2018, 12:41 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
If the child were younger, I'd probably tell you to call CPS. But if he's old enough to already be bragging about committing crimes, I'd just leave it alone. You could try to be a positive influence on him like you have so far, but don't let him anywhere near your wallet or credit cards.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:55 PM

16,415 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Quote:
Criminality isn't hereditary. He's a product of the environment he was raised in. But frankly, if he's already headed down this path, ripping him away from the only family he's known and thrusting him into the foster care system is only going to make him more bitter and resentful, and pretty much cement him in that life. He'll probably end up running away and living on the streets.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:00 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Criminal is a component of blood? You say you block them every way you can but you know all this and post it on a public forum? You know what foster care will bring out in this child?

Old 06-27-2018, 01:24 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
The kids are a product of their environment.

Yes, call CPS and report the family and let the chips fall where they may.

At least you will have done something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships