Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 10:32 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I guess it beats renting a storage unit at a facility. I just don't understand the purpose behind this of people who store boxes full of stuff which most will probably just be left there collecting dust and cow webs. I have friend who lives in a small home and has a room so cluttered with boxes of junk that most hasn't been touched since he had moved in there years ago.

I think if I lived in a small house, I would make the most of it with the little space I have. Of course somethings belong in storage or in a shed outside. I would think maybe something deeper is going on if someone thinks it's okay to have a room stuffed full of boxes of stuff
Only if you don't have a basement or attic in which to store that stuff. It's not uncommon -- or necessarily abnormal -- to have sentimental attachment to or even guilt about getting rid of certain items in which an outsider wouldn't see any value. I've heard of people getting rid of absolutely everything, but I don't know how they do it. Getting it down to a small, manageable, one-room level is pretty admirable, I'd say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 10:37 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I would agree that those are good things to store. But in reality, most people are storing large quantities of things they have no need for, nor will they ever have need for. Things that quite frankly, they've probably forgotten that they have. It's healthier to let it go.
I'm not comfortable putting myself in the position of evaluating whether or not a person, particularly one who I know only through an anonymous poster on C-D, has too much stuff and telling them they need to let it go. We all have our personal threshold for this kind of thing.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-29-2018 at 10:49 AM..

Old 06-29-2018, 10:45 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
It seems to me the OP is looking for validation that what their friend is doing is wrong. So the story has changed from simply using a room for storage to a horder who has stuff all over the place and putting themselves in danger.

I would suggest offering to help them clean up and organize the room and wherever else is a mess. Do it in a non judgemental way so they don't get defensive about it. If they say no, drop it. It is their house.
I get the same impression.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:00 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm not comfortable putting myself in the position of evaluating whether or not a person, particularly one who I know only through an anonymous poster on C-D, has too much stuff and telling them they need to let it go. We all have our personal threshold for this kind of thing.
Luckily, the OP wasn’t asking you to do that.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:06 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Luckily, the OP wasn’t asking you to do that.
The OP most certainly has made a value judgement about the amount of stuff that his friend has accumulated and how he chooses to store it. And so have you with the statement that "most people are storing large quantities of things they have no need for, nor will they ever have need for." I'm pretty far to the minimalist side of the simple living issue, but I'm not going to pass judgement on what other people choose to keep in their basements, attics, and spare rooms, particularly when it involves anonymous posters on C-D.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:38 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
no, he is a good friend. What you do with a friend who doesn't care to clean up after himself risking falls because of clutter and trash all over the place?

... the same as with a friend who still lives in her parents house as an adult.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:41 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The OP most certainly has made a value judgement about the amount of stuff that his friend has accumulated and how he chooses to store it. And so have you with the statement that "most people are storing large quantities of things they have no need for, nor will they ever have need for." I'm pretty far to the minimalist side of the simple living issue, but I'm not going to pass judgement on what other people choose to keep in their basements, attics, and spare rooms, particularly when it involves anonymous posters on C-D.

I'm referring in generalities. I haven't passed judgement on anyone. And no one has asked you to pass judgement on the OP's friend.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:08 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,533,793 times
It's normal for people to use the rooms in their house for whatever purpose they so desire.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:14 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
no, he is a good friend. What you do with a friend who doesn't care to clean up after himself risking falls because of clutter and trash all over the place?
Is he elderly or disabled and unable to reach an exit? If so warn him about the dangers. If not, it's not a problem.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:16 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
We have a room kind of like that. We anticipate moving to a larger house within the next few years where we will have more space for our stuff. We don't have a garage right now which is a significant factor. And the closets in our 1920s house are very small. My husband doesn't have a closet in our bedroom so a lot of his clothes are in boxes in the "spare room".

Some of the stuff I could do without if I'm being honest...stuff my family gets me that I feel bad about getting rid of. I don't like gift-giving holidays for this reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships