Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 11:51 AM

3,527 posts, read 6,524,562 times

Advertisements

Have you ever known two siblings where the older one is dominant or even brags about himself/herself, but it turns out that the younger sibling is actually more talented?

I've seen this happen in fiction: In Peanuts, Lucy is domineering to Linus, who was neurotic. But he also was the smart one in the group, much more than Lucy, although he believed in the Great Pumpkin.

In Star Trek Deep Space 9, there are two Ferenghi brothers and the older is bossy or insulting to the younger, even called him an idiot. Later the younger starts to show gifts in engineering etc.

Maybe I'm basing a generality on just a few examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 12:09 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,610 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Have you ever known two siblings where the older one is dominant or even brags about himself/herself, but it turns out that the younger sibling is actually more talented?

I've seen this happen in fiction: In Peanuts, Lucy is domineering to Linus, who was neurotic. But he also was the smart one in the group, much more than Lucy, although he believed in the Great Pumpkin.

In Star Trek Deep Space 9, there are two Ferenghi brothers and the older is bossy or insulting to the younger, even called him an idiot. Later the younger starts to show gifts in engineering etc.

Maybe I'm basing a generality on just a few examples.
Well, those are fictional characters.

But yes, a lot of research has been done on sibling order, and there are characteristics that come with being first born or only children.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:12 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,524,562 times
When I think about the smartest people I've known (in real life), the most achieved sibling is usually the oldest. And sometimes he is bossy and sometimes not at all.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:27 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,610 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
When I think about the smartest people I've known (in real life), the most achieved sibling is usually the oldest. And sometimes he is bossy and sometimes not at all.
There's a statistic about the astronauts. I'm sure it doesn't still hold - there have been so many - but in the days of the moonwalk, every single astronaut was a first born.

So my sister (who is first born) likes to tell everyone. ;D

Old 07-25-2018, 12:33 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Hmm, doubt it's that simple. It probably matters whether you are talking about inherent talents versus learned abilities and subsequent achievements. Nature/nurture aspects. For example; my youngest sister has artistic musical talents including a wonderful singing voice. I have always wanted to be a successful singer, have the learned music-related skills, but simply don't have the voice for it. Doubt a talent like that is due to birth order.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:40 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Hmm, doubt it's that simple. It probably matters whether you are talking about inherent talents versus learned abilities and subsequent achievements. Nature/nurture aspects. For example; my youngest sister has artistic musical talents including a wonderful singing voice. I have always wanted to be a successful singer, have the learned music-related skills, but simply don't have the voice for it. Doubt a talent like that is due to birth order.
I agree. My oldest is like your sister with perfect pitch and a great singing voice. Younger daughter can’t carry a tune in a bucket, but is extremely athletic. Her older sis trips over her own feet.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:54 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
A number of things can account for the phenomenon you're observing, OP. One sib is narcissistic, the other is quiet and modest. One of the parents might be narcissistic, and so favors the older child, while scapegoating the younger one. Or both parents may favor the older child, simply because he's the first-born, so they tend to shower him with praise and have high expectations for him (or her), while giving the younger one less attention. It doesn't happen in all families, of course, but it does happen. OTOH, in some families, the youngest of 3 or 4 ends up being the favorite, the "baby" of the family.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:30 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A number of things can account for the phenomenon you're observing, OP. One sib is narcissistic, the other is quiet and modest. One of the parents might be narcissistic, and so favors the older child, while scapegoating the younger one. Or both parents may favor the older child, simply because he's the first-born, so they tend to shower him with praise and have high expectations for him (or her), while giving the younger one less attention. It doesn't happen in all families, of course, but it does happen. OTOH, in some families, the youngest of 3 or 4 ends up being the favorite, the "baby" of the family.
Oh my, the story of my life, though my sister and I are both middle children; the rest of our siblings are male. I am, of course, the younger, non-narcissistic sister.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:44 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,019,200 times
I'm the oldest of 5 kids. I'm female.

I have bossy tendencies. I know that. Somewhere in this forum, I'd said once that I thought I'd make a great "Dear Abby" because I DO like to give advice. lol

I used to be bossy toward my siblings. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. But, I'm not bossy with my siblings now. They don't come to me for help, and they're all successful in one way or another. If they ever decide to ask me for advice...sure, I'm up for it...but I kind of feel like "Hey, they're grown ups. They can handle it."

Also...I've had to learn to curb the advice to my grown sons, unless they specifically ask about a specific issue. Neither of them appreciate me just spouting off my wisdom, unasked for. Who would've guessed?!? LOL

Old 07-25-2018, 05:22 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,196,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
There's a statistic about the astronauts. I'm sure it doesn't still hold - there have been so many - but in the days of the moonwalk, every single astronaut was a first born.

So my sister (who is first born) likes to tell everyone. ;D
It didn't hold then either. Yes, a statistically disproportionate number were first born, but not all.

Of the 29 Apollo astronauts

Quote:
Twenty-two were first-born (six of them in the only-child category). Five others had older sisters but were eldest sons. Only two, Stuart Roosa and Mike Collins, had older brothers
So if you take out only children, 16 of 29 were first born. But still, certainly a high enough percentage to make the claim that the younger sibling is frequently the more talented one. Although as a younger sibling, I will of course say that sometimes they are

https://history.nasa.gov/SP-350/ch-8-5.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships