Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 09:15 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
It's possible, we have vacation with my daughters family, her inlaws including her sister in law and family and had a grand time.

Op, I'm saying this as a conservative, just because they post their political beliefs on their page doesn't mean they posted it to make you feel uncomfortable and if they already know your political beliefs I doubt that they will barge in your home and start a argument about politics and if they bring it up just ignore the bait and change the subject

You situation is different.

This is a second marriage for the OP's son and his wife, they don't have children together, so there isn't the bond of having grandkids in common, and they only got married two years ago.

Doesn't sound like the OP knows these people well at all.

Regardless of politics, you don't stay with people unless you're asked to say with them, and certainly not when you're pretty much strangers.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:28 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

This is a second marriage for the OP's son and his wife, they don't have children together, so there isn't the bond of having grandkids in common, and they only got married two years ago.

They've spent holidays together. Its not like they're complete strangers that the the OP only met once at the wedding.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I get the feeling this a northern/midwestern thing?

My ex in-laws, who were from Indiana, would have "friends" they hadn't seen in 25 years stay with them whenever they passed through middle TN on their way to some other vacation destination. Even my own grandparents would book a room at the Hampton Inn when they came to see us from Mississippi.
Maybe so - my daughter's inlaws are from Iowa and they think it's perfectly fine - and EXPECTED - for them to come visit for literally weeks at a time and stay with my daughter and her husband, kicking a kid out of their room, sharing a bathroom with four kids, luggage and pillows and blankets everywhere for weeks on end, constantly wanting to go places, go out to eat, do things, etc, even after their son goes back to work (after taking his vacation time to spend doing something he doesn't even want to do which is hang around his own house with his parents doing local stuff that he can and does do all year long) and then they are just UP and looking at my daughter every single day expecting to be entertained. What the heck?

Our southern family stays in hotels. Period. No use in wearing out our welcome.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:00 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:

They do have grandkids in common. I know plenty of people who have "taken in" step grandchildren as their own.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:

Regardless of politics, you don't stay with people unless you're asked to say with them, and certainly not when you're pretty much strangers.
And certainly not for a freaking WEEK. I can see one night - at a stretch - no, I wouldn't even do that, but I can see that - but a week??????????

Old 08-13-2018, 10:10 AM

643 posts, read 329,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
They've spent holidays together. Its not like they're complete strangers that the the OP only met once at the wedding.
Since the son and daughter-in-law have only been married 2 years, I question how many holidays have been spent together.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:11 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

Well the son only married her two years ago, and they don't live close by and need to take a plane to visit, while it may be more than meeting once at the wedding, doesn't sound like there have been many meetings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Maybe so - my daughter's inlaws are from Iowa and they think it's perfectly fine - and EXPECTED - for them to come visit for literally weeks at a time and stay with my daughter and her husband, kicking a kid out of their room, sharing a bathroom with four kids, luggage and pillows and blankets everywhere for weeks on end, constantly wanting to go places, go out to eat, do things, etc, even after their son goes back to work (after taking his vacation time to spend doing something he doesn't even want to do which is hang around his own house with his parents doing local stuff that he can and does do all year long) and then they are just UP and looking at my daughter every single day expecting to be entertained. What the heck?

Our southern family stays in hotels. Period. No use in wearing out our welcome.
That sounds horrible.....LOL. Most older people would not want to deal with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And certainly not for a freaking WEEK. I can see one night - at a stretch - no, I wouldn't even do that, but I can see that - but a week??????????
Exactly, visits go much better when you stay at a hotel.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:14 AM

652 posts, read 340,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
As the sole liberal in my family of Trump voters, I view this post as just manufactured drama. While I do not really bring up politics among my family (they feel free to discuss their views in my presence though), my facebook page is where I choose to express myself. They can comment or not and I will engage them respectfully. It's called being an adult. I normally decline to comment on their political posts unless they are demonstrably false and I have the documented evidence to back my own assertions up. I have friends on both sides of the political aisle and work in a very conservative industry. And yet I manage to get through my life without regular pearl clutching.

OP, you might want to examine your own maturity levels. You're coming off as quite the snowflake. Do you not associate with people who don't share your political views? Why not view it as an opportunity to expand your range of experience?

Seriously, this is your DIL's family. The family of your child's chosen spouse. You can't manage their political differences for his sake?

I'm going to fill you in on something that might horrify you: I think your son is probably no longer a conservative. You might want to consider that before you shun his in-laws because of your delicate sensibilities. I will tell you that my mother's aggressiveness with her conservative views is one of the reasons I no longer talk to her. Being introduced scornfully as "This is my daughter. She's a liberal," in social situations was one of the things that wore on my patience.

But really, my advice to you is to grow up. This is a very childish way to approach a conflict that hasn't even occurred.
Your mother sounds like my kind of women! God Bless Mom.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:19 AM

643 posts, read 329,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
As the sole liberal in my family of Trump voters, I view this post as just manufactured drama. While I do not really bring up politics among my family (they feel free to discuss their views in my presence though), my facebook page is where I choose to express myself. They can comment or not and I will engage them respectfully. It's called being an adult. I normally decline to comment on their political posts unless they are demonstrably false and I have the documented evidence to back my own assertions up. I have friends on both sides of the political aisle and work in a very conservative industry. And yet I manage to get through my life without regular pearl clutching.

OP, you might want to examine your own maturity levels. You're coming off as quite the snowflake. Do you not associate with people who don't share your political views? Why not view it as an opportunity to expand your range of experience?

Seriously, this is your DIL's family. The family of your child's chosen spouse. You can't manage their political differences for his sake?

I'm going to fill you in on something that might horrify you: I think your son is probably no longer a conservative. You might want to consider that before you shun his in-laws because of your delicate sensibilities. I will tell you that my mother's aggressiveness with her conservative views is one of the reasons I no longer talk to her. Being introduced scornfully as "This is my daughter. She's a liberal," in social situations was one of the things that wore on my patience.

But really, my advice to you is to grow up. This is a very childish way to approach a conflict that hasn't even occurred.
"you're coming off as quite the snowflake"

"I will tell you that my mother's aggressive with her conservative views is one of the reasons I no longer talk to her

Pot meet kettle!

You said you were the only liberal in a family of Trump voters yet when your mother introduced you as such you no longer speak to your own mother?

Your last statement could also be directed back at you..........."grow up "......" This is a very childish way to approach a conflict"

Old 08-13-2018, 10:50 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
"you're coming off as quite the snowflake"

"I will tell you that my mother's aggressive with her conservative views is one of the reasons I no longer talk to her

Pot meet kettle!

You said you were the only liberal in a family of Trump voters yet when your mother introduced you as such you no longer speak to your own mother?

Your last statement could also be directed back at you..........."grow up "......" This is a very childish way to approach a conflict"
I was merely using the language that the OP's side of the spectrum actually uses. "Snowflake" is a common term used by conservatives to deride liberals. Given that she is freaking out over spending any significant time with her inlaws due to their political beliefs, I can only assume that is how she views the other side and the irony is amusing.

As for me no longer speaking to my mother, I dealt with years of emotional and occasionally physical abuse from her. The introducing me to strangers in scornful tones as her daughter "the liberal" was merely symptomatic of those years of abuse and her poor sense of boundaries. It is not childish not to need a mommy or to exclude an abuser from one's life. Do you raise your children to be doormats? My mother tried to, but fortunately my father (another conservative *gasp*) counteracted that.

I'm not accusing the OP of abuse. Merely pointing out that if she cannot get along with people who have a different opinion and starts off assuming that they will roll up looking for a fight, she is being ridiculous.

As to the length of the stay, that is something else entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships