Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 09:53 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Here is a detail from the original post. The in-laws are not in anybody's face. It is the OP who is over-stepping boundaries by saying "they know our politics and yet..." The OP can control facebook feeds.
Yeah, it does sound like the OP is forgetting that the in-laws probably aren't intentionally aiming their political views at them specifically LOL.

Very presumptuous indeed.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I agree, I but I also got the sense in the OP that they were sorta rubbing their views in her face, if I recall correctly.

I think that having a a no politics zone at family gatherings is probably best. Most of the people in our extended family appear to be democrats/liberal-ish. There are a couple that are repub-ish but politics aren't really talked about much at family get togethers.

It's probably just a better thing overall.

I have views that would probably shock a lot of people and cause consternation. Good word btw, how often do we get to use that word, but I digress.

It's better to try and go along and get along in some ways, I don't know.
How did you get that?

She went on their FB page and saw their comments.

If someone had a Trump or a Clinton sign on their front lawn and you drive by their house, but they never once mention politics to you, they're not purposely trying to annoy you.

People are allowed to have different politic views and if they can't have a reasonable discussion about it, agree to disagree and stay off politics.

That's what adults do.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:04 PM

52,258 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
How did you get that?

If someone had a Trump or a Clinton sign on their front lawn and you drive by their house, but they never once mention politics to you, they're not purposely trying to annoy you.

People are allowed to have different politic views and if they can't have a reasonable discussion about it, agree to disagree and stay off politics.

That's what adults do.
They probably should put them on block if it bothers them that much. I also wonder if they post on her page, it didn't say explicitly in the OP, just said they post anti-conservative stuff on FB, didn't indicate if it was on her feed or just in general.

If it's just in general that than yeah, don't look at it or block them, but if they are going onto her stuff and posting a bunch of anti-conservative stuff, then yeah, that could be sorta rude to do that.

I know I personally wouldn't do something like that, but whatever.

I think the OP should just remove or block them and just try and avoid political talk in general.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:04 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:

How do you know that?

Friends' posts show up on their friends' feeds They don't have to have gone to the in-laws' page to see their posts.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:50 AM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, having a conversation about it would just make things awkward. Like I posted it's just the two of us all day and everyday.

I've decided to bide my time and get as much practical job experience as I can and bolt after a bit. I don't wanna leave this large company but whatever. I'm also hoping that as I get up to speed more we might not be joined at the hip as much.

I'm used to being my own boss and doing my own thing, always have and I hope to get more to that point eventually.

I don't have a fear of confrontation, it's just it's my direct supervisor and it's a position where I need to get my skill set up to speed. Things would be different if it were a few of us together, the intimate one on one natures makes it hard just be upfront and truthful. You have to have a thin veneer of civility with the people you work with. I have no problems talking about things with Mrs. Chow and whatever, but at work I think people are sorta forced to play nicey nicey more. That's the way I see it. I can't be bone honest truthful with the guy, what do I say, I think you're a ****ing pinhead and wouldn't have crap to do with you outside of work. LOL One day we were at lunch and I felt my jaws getting tight and was just hoping he'd just shut the hell up, I'm not usually this mean about people, but damn.....

I mean who the hell want to hear that they bore the crap out of you??? Lets get real here and yeah, you can sugar coat it but again, let's be real here.

You're right, I'm stuck.
Then as a couple of posters suggested on that thread you need to have a sit down and explain how his behavior is affecting your work day. We always decide we would rather not have that moment, but if it bothers you this much now, it's not going to improve later. You are now sensitized and everything he says is going to seem worse and worse. Be honest about the topics that bug you. Be respectful and suggest that there are topics that push your buttons, and suggest that for the sake of office harmony and morale those topics be avoided. That, and changing the subject every time he starts off on a rant...cut him off with a distracting question. Get out the headphones, explain that you are listening to a recorded class, program, something saved ahead of time, whatever it takes. Get up and leave, get addicted to headphones, find those moments to answer calls or texts, whatever. It may not stop ALL of it but it will REDUCE it.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:56 AM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
To be fair, the OP is really jumping the gun and assuming a lot here.

She went on THEIR Facebook pages and didn't like their political views. I don't do FB but if I did, I would only be interacting with people I actually know well and have regular contact with. Not looking at people I barely knew or knew many years ago but had no interest in any actual contact.

Their son only married this woman(whom they seem to fond of) two years ago, doesn't even sound like she knows these people well at all.

There is no mention of any past encounters where these people got political.

It would be a bad move to say to the DIL and son anything about this.

You go out with these people if they bring up politics, you change the subject. If you find down the road after a couple of encounters they can't do that, than and ONLY than do tell the DIL and son you would rather not socialize with them, other than maybe a group setting.
Have to agree that the OP/spouse are sort of ramping themselves up for a conflict before the event even happens. Good suggestions here. Practice them, use them and chillax! Everyone has opinions. You'll always meet people you don't agree with about something. Don't set the kettle boiling before you need hot water.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:31 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Have to agree that the OP/spouse are sort of ramping themselves up for a conflict before the event even happens. Good suggestions here. Practice them, use them and chillax! Everyone has opinions. You'll always meet people you don't agree with about something. Don't set the kettle boiling before you need hot water.
All good suggestions, but if you have to feel so guarded.....I wouldn't want to host them for the duration of their visits either. It is a bit unclear as to why they are coming to Florida....to visit you?? Or to vacation and have free housing??

OP, have your DIL rent them a motel, and you all can get together for a couple of daytime excursions.

Expecting you to host her parents when you obviously aren't friends seems a bit too much.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:54 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Unfortunately, far too many people can't discuss politics like adults. Far too many people get bent out of shape and resort to personal insults, shouting, and even possibly physical aggression. If you are dealing with people like that, then I'd stay away from politics. But nothing warms my heart and strengthens my intellectual curiosity than having a civilized political debate/discussion.
It wouldn't surprise me if a couple + of the people in this thread (not you) are like that IRL .

Old 08-12-2018, 06:03 AM

859 posts, read 705,603 times
Do you think they are in a diplomatic visiting that working on improving relationships and re-build communication bridge between 2 countries. Sorry, I'm just kidding.

Look, it's easier than what you imagine, tell your son, to tell his wife, to tell her parents that you belonged to the different side of views and not welcome this type of discussion topics at home,and they will listen.

Problem solved!

Old 08-12-2018, 06:43 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
She went on THEIR Facebook pages and didn't like their political views. I don't do FB but if I did, I would only be interacting with people I actually know well and have regular contact with. Not looking at people I barely knew or knew many years ago but had no interest in any actual contact.
I see that you don’t use FB but that isn’t how FB works. Posts from “friends” show up in your newsfeed. It’s like a running list of headlines. No need to go to individual pages to see what people have posted.

What OP should do is go to her in-laws pages and click “Unfollow”. She will remain friends with them but their posts won’t show in her newsfeed.

OP - I wonder if you’ve spent time with these folks before and were politics brought up then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships