Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 12:30 PM

741 posts, read 590,301 times

Advertisements

I didn't get any responses in the Shopping & Consumer Products forum, so I'm posting here since this is where I normally hang out.

It's sort of relationship related, since I'm in the process of forming a professional "relationship" with a caterer.

I am planning an event for our church and need to hire a caterer for a buffet dinner. They will prepare the food offsite at their kitchen and deliver it to the church address in disposable pans, but will not stay to serve the food--we have volunteers to do the serving and clean up. The food budget for this event is a firm $1750 (tax included). I very nicely explained to "ABC Catering" that we are open to all menu suggestions that would fit within those parameters, but there is no wiggle room on price. The proposal I received was exactly $1750, but with a note at the bottom that said, "...this proposal does not include gratuity." The budget for this event is very tight and the church doesn't have additional funds. I'm a bit put off by this as I stated very clearly what our bottom line figure was. Am I out of line for feeling annoyed? Is a gratuity appropriate in this case? If so, how much? Based on last year's consumption at the same event, I could subtract 23 people from the head count and still have enough food. That would bring the totals in line with where we need to be in order to include a gratuity. But it feels a tad like my phone conversation with "ABC Catering" and the proposal they submitted were a bit bait and switch.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 01:00 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
If it's being delivered, I would expect to tip. Certainly not as much as if they were to stay and serve, but I do tip pizza delivery on Chinese delivery ... so I would tip catering delivery.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:12 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
They stated it because the expectation is that the delivery person is tipped, but unlike some catering companies they are not including it in the price because it is voluntary. Some catering companies charge an automatic gratuity or delivery fee.

I certainly think a tip is appropriate. The amount will vary a bit by the driving distance and how much food is being delivered (how long will it take one person to bring it all inside?). If they don't charge for delivery, I would expect to tip a minimum of 10% of the total bill. If they do charge for delivery--5% or so.

Cater Nation Bites: How much should you tip on a catering delivery?

Old 08-16-2018, 01:32 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
10% or $175.00 is an outrageous expectation for a tip on the delivery. The delivery should be part of the charges from the caterer. Their business is made up of off-site events. Tip the likely young, part-time kid $40.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:43 PM

Thanks everyone for the perspective.

Would you be annoyed an unspecified service/delivery gratuity was expected but not included in the quote?

Old 08-16-2018, 02:57 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
Would you be annoyed an unspecified service/delivery gratuity was expected but not included in the quote?
No, I wouldn't be annoyed. Its not like they know how much you plan on tipping, they're leaving that amount up to you.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:03 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:

Not at all. Gratuity is only sometimes automatic (like in the case of large parties in a restaurant), but for the most part it's voluntary and left to your discretion.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:08 PM

407 posts, read 370,117 times
Quote:

No, that's fairly common when getting quotes for anything. It's up to the customer as to whether or not they're going to tip and/or how much. Unless, as other said above, a delivery fee or similar is included in the quote. Even then, customers can give tips over and above that amount if they choose to.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:12 PM

Ok, thank you everyone for the good advice.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:15 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
First, definitely subtract 23, even 35 people from the head count. There will be more than enough food made by the caterer.

Secondly, on the delivery tip. Don't base it on the total bill. Just judge by how many pans of food delivered by the driver. I'm thinking $50 should cover his troubles.

Or... what about someone from your group just pick up the food from the caterer in their minivan?? And your group getting a discount for picking up the food from their kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships