Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 10:05 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
If the behavior is appropriate and non-abusive, why would it need to be "put up with" or called out?

I could see some woman that cried false rape later say something like "That behavior was fine, but I am going to the pull the harassment card to get attention and maybe some money".

Old 08-26-2018, 10:53 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
This is primarily for those still in the workplace, but I will even extend this to experiences in your local gym. In this era of the #METOO movement, ladies, have you noticed the compliments tapering down or men not hitting on you as much?

And for men, have you taken a new personal stance to just keep all comments to yourself at work or in the gym even if they were just meant to be innocently complimentary?

I've always tried to make people feel good, both men and women, saying something nice about a hairstyle, new manicure, attire, or how they look in a photo. But nowadays, I definately take a breath and just keep it to myself because its not worth the potential drama to have a stain put on my record or worse. I talk about this with other guys on the job and the concensus is, most say they just try to keep things very vanilla when it comes to the females nowadays.
Thank you for considering women's feelings and freedom.

This is a tipping point in history.

There is no need to walk tenderly on eggshells thinking the movement is about never complimenting, etc.

The #MeToo movement is exposing a culture of the insidious misuse of power,so ingrained it is kept secret by those who know, and they keep it to themselves for fear they will stain their reputation both in their careers or personal life. And the crap keeps going on and on.

No man is going to be charged let alone jailed for saying what a nice dress she is wearing, or how great her new haircut looks. When you are leering, gawking, ogling, gaping, touching without permission, saying things to her that hint at sexual contact and sexual acts, that's where you get into trouble.

Maybe it doesn't hurt to be hesitant about what you say.There are big changes coming down the pipe and it all has to start some where.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:56 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Quote:
This is primarily for those still in the workplace, but I will even extend this to experiences in your local gym. In this era of the #METOO movement, ladies, have you noticed the compliments tapering down or men not hitting on you as much?

And for men, have you taken a new personal stance to just keep all comments to yourself at work or in the gym even if they were just meant to be innocently complimentary?

I've always tried to make people feel good, both men and women, saying something nice about a hairstyle, new manicure, attire, or how they look in a photo. But nowadays, I definately take a breath and just keep it to myself because its not worth the potential drama to have a stain put on my record or worse. I talk about this with other guys on the job and the concensus is, most say they just try to keep things very vanilla when it comes to the females nowadays.

Men who truly respect women (people in general) dont have a problem with this #Meewhoever movement. Its men (and women) who cross the line or push the boundaries that will encounter problems.

I dont understand the paranoia, and the fear mongering, OP. Nobody is being sued or being jailed over innocent compliments. Its when you add unwanted sexual innuendos to these innocent comments you'll run into problems/drama.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:27 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
No, not at all .....................................

........................................... but then again, that has always been the issue in that, as the song goes, "those who feel me near, close their blinds and change their minds".

Speaking of OLD (and the like), that's probably the only place they hit because there my prowess isn't apparent.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:36 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Men who truly respect women (people in general) dont have a problem with this #Meewhoever movement. Its men (and women) who cross the line or push the boundaries that will encounter problems.

I dont understand the paranoia, and the fear mongering, OP. Nobody is being sued or being jailed over innocent compliments. Its when you add unwanted sexual innuendos to these innocent comments you'll run into problems/drama.
Men are trying to make themselves the victims in all of this.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:19 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
If only. It is yet another political movement masquerading as some sort of cultural/moral awakening. Predictably, the accusations against public figures grow more and more dubious.

We will have more and more women in their forties and fifties who are unmarried, childless and miserable. Call it the "Chelsea Handler Effect." (My understanding is that she has now resorted to sending expensive gifts to pro athletes hoping to get a taker, but alas, there are none.)
This isn't about celebrities and it isn't a "political movement". It's a social movement that transcends gender, socioeconomics, political affiliation, marital status, and yes, level of attractiveness. My mother's generation put up with it because there was no recourse. My generation put up with it because, even though sexual harassment policies were in place, retaliation would almost certainly result (BTDT). The new generation is enough noise that it can't be ignored anymore. With men now joining the movement, hopefully it will be taken seriously.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:34 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,136 times
Quote:

Focus on work when you are at work.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:35 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post

+1. When Mr.Ginge teaches sexual harassment training sessions at work, it never ceases to shock him that some guys just. don't. get. it; they think they are being victimized by not being allowed to make comments about women's appearances in the workplace. His object lesson is always the same (keeping in mind that probably 90% of his students are men):

Mr.Ginge: Would you compliment my new jeans or say that the shirt I am wearing brings out the green in my eyes?

Student: No.

Mr.Ginge: Why not?

Student: Because it would sound "gay".

Mr.Ginge: So, it might be perceived in a sexual manner?

Student: Yes

Mr.Ginge: So, it stands to reason that paying a similar compliment to a woman might also be perceived in a sexual manner. It's simple: if you wouldn't say it to a male co-worker, then you shouldn't say it to a female co-worker.

And inevitably, there is one yutz who will chime with something to the effect of

Yutz: Well, I'm just going to ignore the women and not say so much as Good Morning, since I'll probably get reported for harassment.

Mr.Ginge: You don't get it. Guys, we're relying on those of you who do get it to not be afraid to call out the guys like Yutz.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:45 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,974 times
Quote:

I stopped absolutely to hire women under 45 and off course all the mentoring. I had few millennial already and they were offered to work from home permanently (with some other guys for cover). I don't have time for all of this drama.
For me, all of my interactions with women at work done with open doors. All the one/one are recorded by camera.
I worked very hard to get this position, and there is no way that I will risk it with this crazy metoo thing.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:01 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Men are trying to make themselves the victims in all of this.
Woman who made false rape claims against two football players 'rolls her eyes' during court hearing | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
A former Connecticut college student who claimed she was raped by two men during an off-campus party in 2016 and then later admitted to lying appeared to ROLL HER EYES in court as one of the victims spoke about how the allegations ruined his life.

Nikki Yovino, 20, of South Setauket, New York, was sentenced Thursday in Bridgeport Superior Court to one year in jail after pleading guilty in June to misdemeanor charges of falsely reporting an incident and interfering with police.
A slap on the wrist (1 year in jail) for ruining the lives of two men at Sacred Heart University -- including expulsion.

Quote:
'I went from being a college student to sitting at home being expelled with no way to clear my name,' St. Hilaire said. 'I just hope she knows what she has done to me, my life will never be the same. I did nothing wrong, but everything has been altered because of this.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships