Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 11:17 PM

472 posts, read 347,676 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I could use some advice. My sister has been living with me for nearly a year, had a job, quit it and didn't think it was bad because the working conditions were not good at all. She's 32 and went through a divorce last year which was hard. I'm 36 and work full time as a teacher. I applauded her for quitting because the place was terrible. However, it will be six months Oct 1st and she has only had one interview since she quit her last job. She says she is looking for jobs, my parents give her 100 dollars per week to help out with expenses but it seems to run out and she asks for money. My sister has not been paying bills or anything but keeps the house clean and helps out with cooking. I feel a bit taken advantage of since she owes money for her car, which our parents are helping out and have given her a loan. She says "she's looking for a job" but my inner instinct tells me she should be doing more. I know this is complicated but was curious about any advice on what should be done. I'm not thinking of kicking her out but am a little bit miffed because I think going on six months is pretty long, especially since our economy has improved. She worked in human resources and wants to get a job in that. I've recommended that maybe she does something part time like walking dogs or other temp jobs but that doesn't seem to interest her. I know looking for certain jobs isn't easy but maybe this is normal? I guess I've heard some jobs take close to a year to look for? Thank you for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 12:06 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I think you need to tell her that it is past time for her to contribute to the household budget. She is adding to the utilities but not contributing to paying them. You've been absorbing the extra costs so far, but can't keep doing it even with the extra $100. Personally I would also talk to your parents and suggest that giving her money isn't helping her get back on her feet, just prolonging her dependency. Tell her you can't keep lending her money because you need to build up your own savings for (what? Increasing your pension contributions? To cover the months you don't teach? Make something up if you have to). Tell her you have been thinking of moving somewhere else more affordable/closer to work/nicer but she'll have to make her own arrangements.

Do you rent or own? You have given her a soft landing which is admirable, but time has passed and she's not getting her rear in gear. Life isn't free for anyone. If she really was actively in the process of getting work she'd probably be telling you about the process or the interviews and applications she's made. She's not. You are not doing her any favors indulging her. Time to face reality. She may not thank you now, but may later.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:30 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
IMO, both your parents and your sister are taking advantage of you. You're entitled to a life of your own.

Now you know why it's never wise to let anyone move in with you "temporarily."

Old 09-03-2018, 10:57 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Sounds like family is enabling this woman. There are many jobs one can do and even while trying to find that "right" one. I worked 40 yrs and they were not all the right ones. But I worked and paid my way. Can't imagine not being out in the work place. You say she helps around the house, how much can there be to do. Do you have children that she cares for?

Old 09-03-2018, 02:42 PM

7,034 posts, read 6,287,208 times
My sister tried that with me and within a month I told her to contribute or move somewhere else.

She did both. Found a job, contributed a bit (although I cut her some slack so she could save for an apartment) and within another month she had her own place.I

You just have to put your foot down. If she sees you are serious it will force her to do something. Otherwise, let your parents take care of her. She is not your responsibility.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:14 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Just sit down and have a deep conversation with her, pour it out to her and tell her the truth about how you feel.

Maybe she'll have an explainable excuse or maybe there is something else going on that you might discover. you will only find out if you ask.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:41 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator1982 View Post
Hi there,
I could use some advice. My sister has been living with me for nearly a year, had a job, quit it and didn't think it was bad because the working conditions were not good at all. She's 32 and went through a divorce last year which was hard. I'm 36 and work full time as a teacher. I applauded her for quitting because the place was terrible. However, it will be six months Oct 1st and she has only had one interview since she quit her last job. She says she is looking for jobs, my parents give her 100 dollars per week to help out with expenses but it seems to run out and she asks for money. My sister has not been paying bills or anything but keeps the house clean and helps out with cooking. I feel a bit taken advantage of since she owes money for her car, which our parents are helping out and have given her a loan. She says "she's looking for a job" but my inner instinct tells me she should be doing more. I know this is complicated but was curious about any advice on what should be done. I'm not thinking of kicking her out but am a little bit miffed because I think going on six months is pretty long, especially since our economy has improved. She worked in human resources and wants to get a job in that. I've recommended that maybe she does something part time like walking dogs or other temp jobs but that doesn't seem to interest her. I know looking for certain jobs isn't easy but maybe this is normal? I guess I've heard some jobs take close to a year to look for? Thank you for reading.
I have a job but have been looking for another and it's been close to 2 years. Granted I am currently employed so I am not spending as much time on job searching or networking than I would if I were unemployed. Some fields it does take a VERY long time. (I am also very experienced, so I asking for salaries on the higher end).

That said, your sister should get any job for now just to bring in money and continue her search. If she gets something, she can always quit that job. At least is some money coming in rather than none @ all.

I would tell her if she doesn't contribute financially in some way, she is out. Not your responsibility to keep supporting a grown person.

Last edited by Jdawg8181; 09-04-2018 at 12:00 PM..

Old 09-04-2018, 11:56 AM

388 posts, read 473,702 times
I agree with the others about setting some rules.

*A date by which she would move out.

Until then
*She takes over all housework, including larger jobs, like carpet shampooing every 3 to 4 months.
*She goes to the food bank. You buy what is needed to make up for what the food bank doesn't cover. If she is too good to go to the food bank, she takes on babysitting, whatever, to pay for her half of food.
*She does all the cooking.

If she balks at any of this after you have been so generous in covering her utility bills, giving up your alone time, covering her half of rent, etc, you definitely have a user on your hands. Give her 2 months notice and stick to it.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:07 PM

403 posts, read 363,500 times
If you really think she's not trying as hard as she should be, definitely have a talk with her.
I work in HR, and it took me almost 5 months to get a job- and that was working with agencies religiously and on the job board every day. It was really stressful so I do empathize with your sister, but if she is not looking as hard as she should be, she should definitely be stepping it up. You did mentioned she helps around the house.. maybe she knows that she can't help out financially but willing to do chores and other things to make up for it?

Old 09-04-2018, 12:20 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times
Def. need to sit her down and talk about this. She's your sister, just be honest with her.

She could work part-time as a server and make enough to contribute something. If she doesn't have the savings to not work while looking for "the job", she just needs A job. Finding the right job can take time, but finding A job until then isn't that hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships