Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 08:57 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It's not like I watched him open it. He had been walking around eating from it. When I politely refused he kind of shamed me into accepting a free gift. A gift is one thing, but being forced to eat something right then and there from someone I don't know, I think it's different.
That is really bizarre. I would simply say no I am not hungry. Or depending on what the food product is I would fib a little and say I don't eat "that."

This is a stranger you will never see again who cares if they don't like your response? I personally would never eat something given to me by a random shopper. I don't care if their feelings got hurt.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:21 PM

17,672 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Honestly, I don't think all the "tough talkers" here would have done what they say they would, or would have handled it any better than I did. I've had my share of rough encounters with strangers that I normally would have no trouble being a lot more assertive or even rude to them.
I agree with you. I said what I would have done, but I wasn't put on the spot in a weird situation...and I had time to think about it.

I'm not really sure why everyone is making such a big deal about this.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:39 PM

736 posts, read 455,805 times
"No thank you, I'm a diabetic and have to really control my intake."

Old 09-13-2018, 09:45 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Just say "No thank you", and ignore him. You don't owe him a reason
RIGHT? And being nice would be the last thing on my mind.

No...hell no. Now get out of my space. (Honey is this your grandfather? Do you feel safe with him? Where are your parents?)

Old 09-13-2018, 09:57 PM

17,535 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
What a bizarre post... nobody can MAKE you eat something they hand you.

My thoughts exactly..No way in Hell would I eat something from a stranger's hand in today's world

Old 09-13-2018, 09:59 PM

17,535 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I would have said "no thanks". If the person persisted, I would have said "I appreciate the offer but I don't like that stuff".
That's just tap dancing and being polite.

No means NO!

Old 09-13-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I would have said "no thanks". If the person persisted, I would have said "I appreciate the offer but I don't like that stuff".
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
That's just tap dancing and being polite.

No means NO!
Call it whatever you'd like. I don't go around snapping at strangers, especially when it's completely unnecessary.

If you think there's something wrong with my response, then I'd suggest you work on your social skills. And that advice is also directed at everyone else in this thread that said they'd get angry and make a scene.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:36 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
When someone's basically forcing something on you, as the OP felt this weirdo was, making a scene can save your life. I go into defense mode when strange people invade my space without permission. I spent too many years as a single mom in Memphis.
(And saying "I appreciate it" is a total lie, besides being encouraging)

Old 09-13-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
When someone's basically forcing something on you, as the OP felt this weirdo was, making a scene can save your life. I go into defense mode when strange people invade my space without permission. I spent too many years as a single mom in Memphis.
(And saying "I appreciate it" is a total lie, besides being encouraging)
The way I see it, you need to pick your battles.

I obviously wasn't there but, to me, this doesn't sound like it was a hostile situation. Why turn it into one?

And so what if "I appreciate it" is a lie. It's social, polite, and harmless.

Lies make the world go round.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:44 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
The way I see it, you need to pick your battles.

I obviously wasn't there but, to me, this doesn't sound like it was a hostile situation. Why turn it into one?

And so what if "I appreciate it" is a lie. It's social, polite, and harmless.

Lies make the world go round.

Perhaps for the OP, it was a hostile situation, given that he described the old man as being very pushy, (almost) intimidating and shaming.

I've dealt with pushy people who don't seem to understand No and can understand the need to get hostile just to reinforce the No. What I would've done in this situation realistically was scoff after the 1st No and end the conversation. It sounds like they were in line, so in that case I would've turned my back to him and ignore him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships