Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 11:26 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times

Advertisements

We've been in our current house for a year, and still get numerous packages delivered here for the former homeowners. Because of some issues with those previous owners during the buying/closing of this house, let's just say they aren't my favorite people, which makes taking care of these misdeliveries that much more annoying.

I have gone out of my way time and time again to take care of these packages (I've taken them to the post office or UPS store, talked with my postal carrier, talked with someone at the post office, called Amazon, etc.)

Frankly I'm just tired of dealing with it. And I don't even know if these packages are getting to the rightful recipient when I do bother driving them to PO or UPS. Amazon has actually told me to either keep the packages for myself or throw throw away.

Is it legal for me to throw all of these packages away? I googled, but couldn't find a definite answer.

(And I don't have the phone number or forwarding address for these people).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 11:34 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
Why would you throw anything away addressed to someone else? Just send it back and mark it accordingly.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:49 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times
Just write "REFUSED" on the package an send it back with whoever delivers it to you.

I had a neighbor (lived next door) who used to use our address to have packages delivered, then would run out and meet the FedEx or UPS drivers at the end of our driveway. We contacted both companies and told that that absolutely nothing that was not addressed to my husband or me, in our names, was to be delivered to our home. They needed to hold them at the facility and call us if our names were not on the package so we could refuse delivery. My biggest worry was that they may have been having drugs delivered and that's why they used our address. We never got their mail, just the package deliveries, which we actually never got because they would run out and meet the drivers, so they knew what their address was. I was very happy when they were evicted for non payment of rent.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:43 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post

We've been in our current house for a year, and still get numerous packages delivered here for the former homeowners. Because of some issues with those previous owners during the buying/closing of this house, let's just say they aren't my favorite people, which makes taking care of these misdeliveries that much more annoying.

I have gone out of my way time and time again to take care of these packages (I've taken them to the post office or UPS store, talked with my postal carrier, talked with someone at the post office, called Amazon, etc.)

Frankly I'm just tired of dealing with it. And I don't even know if these packages are getting to the rightful recipient when I do bother driving them to PO or UPS. Amazon has actually told me to either keep the packages for myself or throw throw away.

Is it legal for me to throw all of these packages away? I googled, but couldn't find a definite answer.

(And I don't have the phone number or forwarding address for these people).
If a package is USPS (U.S. Postal Service) delivered, you can schedule a free pickup at USPS.com. Your regular post office mail carrier who comes to your house/apt daily will take it. (write 'return to sender' on the package or 'this person no longer lives here')

There's no reason for you to make a trip to the U.S. Post Office. A free pickup by USPS can be done right at your house/apt by scheduling the pickup at USPS.com.
You don't need to be home for the pickup - just put the package at your front door.

(I realize that some packages are UPS (United Parcel Service), deliveries from Amazon, maybe FedEx too, so this works just for USPS. If UPS (United Parcel Service) happens to come to your house regularly, you could put the UPS delivered package at your front door and ask that the UPS delivery person take it - writing on the package or note saying 'this person no longer lives here' or 'return to sender')

Old 09-15-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Why would you throw anything away addressed to someone else? Just send it back and mark it accordingly.
"Just send it back"? That's exactly what I said I've been doing for a year, and I'm tired of making trips to the UPS store.

I've tried writing "No longer at this address" for packages delivered by USPostal Service, and they often the exact same package gets delivered to our house AGAIN.

"Why would I throw them out?" These wrong deliveries have happened multiple times weekly for over a year and I am just tired of it. Why would someone keep ordering things online and never change their home address on their shopping accounts, for a YEAR? Plus (as I said) Amazon told me to throw the packages out, so it made me think that would be the easiest solution for all the packages.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:32 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
"Just send it back"? That's exactly what I said I've been doing for a year, and I'm tired of making trips to the UPS store.

I've tried writing "No longer at this address" for packages delivered by USPostal Service, and they often the exact same package gets delivered to our house AGAIN.

"Why would I throw them out?" These wrong deliveries have happened multiple times weekly for over a year and I am just tired of it. Why would someone keep ordering things online and never change their home address on their shopping accounts, for a YEAR? Plus (as I said) Amazon told me to throw the packages out, so it made me think that would be the easiest solution for all the packages.
Given that it's gone on for a year, open the next Amazon package. If it's something that perhaps others can use, donate it or put it on FB Marketplace for free. If it's something you can use, keep it.

I think it's been too easy for the former owners because eventually they are receiving their stuff.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:45 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Contact your realtor and ask their realtor to tell them that you are receiving their packages. Tell them that you’ve sent then back, but in future you will dispose of them.

Mention which companies have sent packages in error to you.

Actually some thing like this happened to me in reverse. After a year of forwarding, my mom’s documents were sent to my old address. This was totally my mistake. But new owners contacted their realtor, who contacted our realtor, who contracted us via email. We got a very nice note with our mail which they included with the missent mail.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:12 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Given that it's gone on for a year, open the next Amazon package. If it's something that perhaps others can use, donate it or put it on FB Marketplace for free. If it's something you can use, keep it.

I think it's been too easy for the former owners because eventually they are receiving their stuff.
Some of them might be automatically-refilled orders set up months earlier. However, after this much time I think I'd do the same...either give them away, toss them, or use them. Eventually the numbskulls who haven't bothered to change their delivery address will realize they are losing money. If/when they complain to some retailer about a lost purchase their laziness will become obvious.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:20 PM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Some of them might be automatically-refilled orders set up months earlier. However, after this much time I think I'd do the same...either give them away, toss them, or use them. Eventually the numbskulls who haven't bothered to change their delivery address will realize they are losing money. If/when they complain to some retailer about a lost purchase their laziness will become obvious.
But it might not be them ordering for themselves. These might be gifts or orders from friends or family who don't know or don't have their correct address.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Contact your realtor and ask their realtor to tell them that you are receiving their packages. Tell them that you’ve sent then back, but in future you will dispose of them.

Mention which companies have sent packages in error to you.

Actually some thing like this happened to me in reverse. After a year of forwarding, my mom’s documents were sent to my old address. This was totally my mistake. But new owners contacted their realtor, who contacted our realtor, who contracted us via email. We got a very nice note with our mail which they included with the missent mail.
Thank you, that is a great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships