Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 04:55 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times

Advertisements

my immediates are a non smoking family and one of my partners friends wifes husband smokes.

I remember having dinner with them and after the appetizer, mike got up and said he is going out to smoke, then we had dinner and he got up and went out to smoke, then we had dessert and he went out to smoke.
lol, that was the first and last time we ever had dinner with them, nice people, but I didnt like that. I get after the whole dinner thing, but in between courses, no. I didnt like it.

my sisters husband husband smokes cigars, that I absolutley will not tollerate, so I have never invited them out to dinner for that reason, and we seldon go to each others house, after living with parents that smoked all thru the 60-70's, I am not tollerating cigar smoke at all. fortunetely when my sisters first was born, both parents stopped, I guess when she told them smoke around my baby, and Ill kill you.....somehoe must have done the trick. lol.

I actually find it annoying to be with someone and then ok, after this cigaret, and after this cigaret, after my parents quitting, im not doing it.

none of my friends smoke. i never dated a smoker, ever.......its a disgusting thing to want to do.

but i could be a friend to a smoker, but I rather not.

now a days more smokers are considerate, but back in the 60-70, they werent and as a non smoker we had to just tollerate, but its a new day, and now we dont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 05:03 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
If you are a non-smoker/user, could you intentionally associate, even be friends with a smoker, vaper, dipper, et cetera? Drug user? Weed user? Edibles eaters? The list goes on.
Nothing that would ever get me in trouble by being in the same room with said person or ingredients of said habit.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:37 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
If you are a non-smoker/user, could you intentionally associate, even be friends with a smoker, vaper, dipper, et cetera? Drug user? Weed user? Edibles eaters? The list goes on.
Are you seriously putting drug use in the same category as vaping and smoking? You seem them all as the same? Sorry, this is too broad a question to have one answer.

Smoking, vaping, dipping...sure. People rarely go to each other's homes anymore so your actual exposure to smoke/spit is limited. I've only know a couple people that dip...just be sure their cup is far away from yours!

Weed is a little different - recreational use not really an issue especially if I'm not around while they do it. Habitual - then it is a lifestyle/addiction/personality difference that would likely not be compatible with me.

Other drugs - even less likely to hang out with them in any social way.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:18 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You don't know that. How can you be sure that your parents caused you cancer? You can't. Many people claim that they got cancer from someone else's secondhand smoke, and although it is a noxious substance and people love to blame smokers and smoking for absolutely everything, it is impossible to determine whether the smoke caused you cancer or whether you would have gotten cancer anyway. The evidence that secondhand smoke causes disease is much weaker than firsthand smoke, and cancer has a large genetic component.

Similarly, you don't know that your mom wouldn't have died of stage IV cancer if she hadn't been obese.

My cancer was misdiagnosed for 5 years, leading to my advanced disease, with frequent medical intervention.

I trust my medical team, who include the chief of lymphoma hematology/oncology at one of the top 5 cancer centers in the country, who point out that my only risk factor was exposure to people who were too selfish to not smoke around the children of the family. It's my medical team that suggested that exposure to secondhand smoke contributed to my diagnosis, not myself. While I was the only one to develop cancer, other relatives have a high incidence of asthma that is not found in branches of the family where smokers were not present.

Regardless, as I type this I am wheezing and coughing up a storm. Why? Because I had to give a one-on-one training to a coworker who smokes and was trapped in her small office for an hour. I'll be wheezing all day due to the close proximity. The exaggerated reaction is because of the lung damage from chemo.

Yeah, no. No interest in spending time with smokers.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:08 PM

505 posts, read 584,345 times
Quote:
No. I'm really into health and fitness and cigarettes clash with my lifestyle. I even hate being asked to stand outside of clubs or bars with them while they get their nasty fix. They are terrible workout buddies. My dad died of Leukemia and emphysema, so no way.

Vape pens are equally disgusting and you look like a tool.

As a former pot head, I don't mind if others smoke or eat weed, but wouldn't choose them as associates anymore. That lifestyle ran it's course and is no longer fun.

Last edited by WildSpark; 09-27-2018 at 06:18 PM..

Old 09-27-2018, 08:44 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Part of this is just silly, vapers?! It’s water vapor!! It can’t hurt anyone, who cares if someone uses that around you or not around you?! The research is really clear on that too despite the idiocy of government authorities who don’t have a clue.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:38 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,687 times
Quote:
I've been friends with all of the above; one of my best friends smokes cigarettes, whereas I don't, and it doesn't bother me one bit.

Drug users (beyond weed)? I tread lightly with those. Most of the ones I've met in the past tend to use people and/or not have their crap together. Some are otherwise productive members of society.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:09 AM

255 posts, read 168,881 times
Quote:
Sure, and I am. As long as they aren't doing it around me, I don't care what kind of stupid things they do to themselves. I will say I see them as weak and lacking self-control/discipline for being addicted to nicotine or drugs (or food). They know what they are doing is detrimental to their health and killing them but they are too weak to stop - they are a slave to a stupid product. I pity them. And most smokers are nasty, polluting the air around others and throwing their nasty butts on the ground and out car windows. They are disgusting.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:29 PM

35,073 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I don't mind as long as they don't smoke in my car or residence.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:09 PM

1,183 posts, read 708,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Part of this is just silly, vapers?! It’s water vapor!! It can’t hurt anyone, who cares if someone uses that around you or not around you?! The research is really clear on that too despite the idiocy of government authorities who don’t have a clue.

To be clear, its not just water vapor. Water vapor is the vehicle for carrying other components. If it was literally just water vapor, no-one would be using it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships