Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 09:21 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,012,777 times

Advertisements

Given the accuracy and early detection of today’s pregnancy tests,”might be” pregnant doesn’t make much sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 09:28 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,003,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I ran into an old acquaintance - someone I worked with some years ago. Confirmed bachelor, never wants to get married, the whole bit. We started talking and I told him that I was divorced now but seeing someone. Anyway, he tells me that his sister's "bff" (female), whom he'd known for practically a lifetime (in fact, his family had known the bff's family many years) were talking one day; just life in general, politics, the usual b.s. Well, he says, one day the bff calls to ask a small favor. He agrees and goes to help. Well, I guess one thing led to another and...
Now he tells me that she says she might be pregnant! He's frazzled, says he didn't want kids or marriage. I know, I know, I didn't want to ream him and I didn't. He said that it was only ONE time, ONE weak moment that they just couldn't control themselves. He's beside himself - his sister does not know and he's afraid if she finds out, she'll go nuts.

I kind of feel sorry, but in a way I don't. Part of me wants to break out the popcorn, sit back and watch the guns blaze and not say a word, yet another part of me wants to run as fast and far away as possible.

It only takes ONE time.This guy sounds very selfish and immature.People have weak moments BUT if he was SO adamant about not wanting kids from the beginning...he should have gotten himself fixed from the get go a long time ago so whenever these weak moments were to happen...he would be fine..but I guess he wasn't that adamant about not wanting kids because everyone knows..you have sex with the opposite sex...it will or could happen.It only takes one time.Who I feel sorry for is the poor kid who might be born out of all of this.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:43 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,959,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Given the accuracy and early detection of today’s pregnancy tests,”might be” pregnant doesn’t make much sense.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Generally by the time a girl is wondering if she might be pregnant, a test will settle the matter one way or another.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:54 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,631,463 times
So OP, why did your "acquaintance" believe the woman "might be" pregnant?

Aren't all of you in your 50s and 60s? Is this story allegorical?

Old 09-25-2018, 10:02 AM

18,748 posts, read 11,734,332 times
What happens between two consenting adults is between the two consenting adults. They will figure it out.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:24 AM

14,686 posts, read 14,821,652 times
Quote:

I ran into an old acquaintance .... < snip > ..... part of me wants to run as fast and far away as possible.

So what? Why are you posting about this on a public forum? It isn't your concern nor the concern of anyone else on this forum so what is your point in posting about it? You should just mind your own business instead of going on internet and posting gossip about strangers.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:38 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,321,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
So OP, why did your "acquaintance" believe the woman "might be" pregnant?

Aren't all of you in your 50s and 60s? Is this story allegorical?
He's in his early 40s; the woman in her mid 30s he says.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:03 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,141,017 times
I think you couldn't wait to run away...to the nearest computer so you could log on and dish about this conversation. It's fine, you didn't name names, you're not a bad person, but let's call a spade a spade. This is gossip, not you having some moral dilemma over what to do.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:09 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,631,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
I think you couldn't wait to run away...to the nearest computer so you could log on and dish about this conversation. It's fine, you didn't name names, you're not a bad person, but let's call a spade a spade. This is gossip, not you having some moral dilemma over what to do.
He actually DID pose it as a moral dilemma. Whether to make attempts to get closer to the situation so he can watch the fireworks as his friend's life explodes, or "run away"---whatever that means. It sounds childish though.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:20 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,635,799 times
Quote:
I ran into an old acquaintance - someone I worked with some years ago. Confirmed bachelor, never wants to get married, the whole bit. We started talking and I told him that I was divorced now but seeing someone. Anyway, he tells me that his sister's "bff" (female), whom he'd known for practically a lifetime (in fact, his family had known the bff's family many years) were talking one day; just life in general, politics, the usual b.s. Well, he says, one day the bff calls to ask a small favor. He agrees and goes to help. Well, I guess one thing led to another and...
Now he tells me that she says she might be pregnant! He's frazzled, says he didn't want kids or marriage. I know, I know, I didn't want to ream him and I didn't. He said that it was only ONE time, ONE weak moment that they just couldn't control themselves. He's beside himself - his sister does not know and he's afraid if she finds out, she'll go nuts.

I kind of feel sorry, but in a way I don't. Part of me wants to break out the popcorn, sit back and watch the guns blaze and not say a word, yet another part of me wants to run as fast and far away as possible.
Who would ream an old acquaintance who divulged that his one-night-stand might be pregnant?

Why will you be in a position to either sit back and watch OR run away? You haven't seen this guy in years and don't know the woman involved. What makes you think you'll hear anything else about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships