Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 08:41 AM

102,187 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
7am Him: Good morning, sis
7am Me: Good morning, bro
10am Him: How's your day going, sis?
10am Me: (Here sometimes I say "Good" and sometimes I'll elaborate on what's going on at the moment)
Depending on what I say to the above he'll elaborate based on what I have said until there is nothing more to say on that.

12pm Him: I'm hungry.
12pm Me: Me too.
1:30pm Him: What did you eat?
1:30pm Me: Some leftovers I had from last night.
Then he'll ask me what the leftovers were and then tell me if he likes that or not (I never ask)
3:30pm Him: I have to go to the gym today but I really don't feel like it.
3:30pm Me: Do whatever works.
While he's at the gym, he'll text me about whatever has caught his attention like someone working out funny or a hot girl or how he's sore or needs to do more of X exercise. Which I have nothing to contribute.
6:30 Him: What are you up to tonight?
6:30 Me: I either say "Not much" or will elaborate. I have noticed if I say I'm out with friends he'll stop texting.
9:30 Him: I'm going to bed early tonight.
9:30 Me: Okay goodnight.

Rinse and repeat EVERY SINGLE DAY. Some days we have variations on this or discuss something deeper but 85% of our text convos are like this.
OP, why are you checking your phone at 7 a.m.? Don't you have the usual getting-ready-for-work activities going on? Shower, breakfast, getting dressed? You should be responding to the 7 a.m. texts during your 10 a.m. break at work. Otherwise, you're sending signals that you've available for texting the moment you roll out of bed or get out of the shower.

THere's way too much availability happening here. Does your boss at work allow frequent phone-checking and texting? This example looks like you are part of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 08:46 AM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Just because your brother is addicted to texting is no reason for you to have to respond.
I would tell him that you are not interested in responding more than once a day. Then don’t.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:36 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
I don't even understand why this type of chatting makes him so happy.
Is it an introvert vs extrovert thing?

He is never married no kids.....is it a fear of being by himself?
Lonely. When he texts you instead of responding, if you aren't busy call him. He might just need to hear a voice.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:52 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
@srjth: Your brother is a texting addict. Your quick replies are feeding his habit. You picked a good solution!

@Jonathan: I have my iPads and iPhone set to 'do not disturb' with an automatic setting to turn off notifications between 11 p.m. and 8 a.m. (Perhaps other phones and tablets have a similar setting.) A person would have to have a regular diurnal pattern in order to use this. I'm usually up to 11 at the earliest, and rarely sleep past 8.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:17 PM

17,664 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
7am Him: Good morning, sis
7am Me: Good morning, bro
10am Him: How's your day going, sis?
10am Me: (Here sometimes I say "Good" and sometimes I'll elaborate on what's going on at the moment)
Depending on what I say to the above he'll elaborate based on what I have said until there is nothing more to say on that.

12pm Him: I'm hungry.
12pm Me: Me too.
1:30pm Him: What did you eat?
1:30pm Me: Some leftovers I had from last night.
Then he'll ask me what the leftovers were and then tell me if he likes that or not (I never ask)
3:30pm Him: I have to go to the gym today but I really don't feel like it.
3:30pm Me: Do whatever works.
While he's at the gym, he'll text me about whatever has caught his attention like someone working out funny or a hot girl or how he's sore or needs to do more of X exercise. Which I have nothing to contribute.
6:30 Him: What are you up to tonight?
6:30 Me: I either say "Not much" or will elaborate. I have noticed if I say I'm out with friends he'll stop texting.
9:30 Him: I'm going to bed early tonight.
9:30 Me: Okay goodnight.

Rinse and repeat EVERY SINGLE DAY. Some days we have variations on this or discuss something deeper but 85% of our text convos are like this.

If he stopped texting you, I'd bet you'd miss it.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:28 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
If he stopped texting you, I'd bet you'd miss it.

I just want him to slow it down. I will try to slow it down.

Today's text:

7:30am Him: Good morning, sis.
11:30am Me: Good morning, bro
1:15pm Him: I had to wash my car, it was filthy
2:10pm Him: I'm watching some videos on 401K's
2:15pm Him: It sucks having to bust your ass for a company that really does not give a crap about you.

I probably responded too soon.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:24 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
@srjth: I just finished breakfast about an hour ago!
@srjth: Now I'm on CD and I'm watching TV news.

I don't understand why you text stuff like this. Bro needs his mommy. (IMO)

Old 10-07-2018, 02:38 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
OP srjth, the person you know sounds very lonely. He's using texting and communicating with you as a way to alleviate his loneliness.
This.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:42 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Lonely. When he texts you instead of responding, if you aren't busy call him. He might just need to hear a voice.

And this, too. Seriously, I wish my sibling was alive to send annoying texts to me.

Also, you could just put your phone down for awhile, or turn it off. Then you won’t even notice the texts.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:04 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
When we are visiting and in each others physical presence, he texts all day/night long with other people too (I do not do that). I assume when he's back home and texting with me that he's also texting with others as well. I think it 's an extrovert thing, except he enjoys "extroverting" over text.

No my dear, it isn't an extrovert thing if he's doing that in yours or others physical presence, it's an addiction thing.

An extrovert is somebody who is actively socializing and connecting to people within his immediate physical surroundings, people he can see and touch and talk to face to face, not with unseen people who are at a distance.

In your brother's case it is not any kind of socializing via texting that is giving him a sense of well being - it is the act of sending and especially to the signal he gets when he's receiving texts via his device. It's an addiction to the dopamine high he gets from the workings of the device itself, not from the other people he's texting with. He's not being an extrovert, he's being a text addict, aka a device addict.

I bet you dollars to donuts if something were to suddenly happen to his device, say it got lost, stolen or irreparably malfunctioned and he had to do without its replacement for more than 48 hours he would be having the screaming meemies and suffering severe physical/mental symptoms of drug withdrawals. The same reaction would happen with the many millions of other people who now have the same addiction.

You need to read some of the following information:

https://www.psychguides.com/guides/s...one-addiction/

More: --> https://www.bing.com/search?q=textin...1F218A07C3C1C4

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships