Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 07:56 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times

Advertisements

This whole thing reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Keith Hernandez (whom Jerry's hung out with ONE time) asks Jerry to help him move. Kramer says "Next thing you know you'll be driving him to the airport!" You have to substitute "roommate relationship" for male friendship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0siRMEEY8rc

Last edited by TheShadow; 10-13-2018 at 08:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 08:08 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,425 times
Hey, about that trip you are going on. You will be paying for my gas and tolls, right? And you will be dropping ne off and picking me up when i go on my trip, right?

Old 10-13-2018, 11:12 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
A family member asked the same of us, but he suggested we drive his car there. I think that's fair. She can drive there with you as a passenger, and you'll drive the car back. If you don't want to use your car, say so. If you don't want to do it because it's time consuming, just tell her you can't do it.
Highly recommend not doing this. There is a huge risk factor of driving someone's car. If there is an accident--it will not be pleasant.

OP--one thing I learned in life is that you have permission to change your mind. If you don't feel like doing, just say something came up.

I don't even ask my husband to drive me to the airport. The traffic is crazy. I pay the $10/day to park it--and that is at a major airport near DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Or he could just follow through with the plans he makes.
There is no law that says one can't change their mind. I used to be that yes person, then regret it. I then learned to say, "let me think about it, I will get back to you". Now, I just say, "no, that won't work for me". Life experience...

Old 10-13-2018, 11:35 AM

76 posts, read 43,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybrah124 View Post
So roomie asked me to drive her to airport and pick her up which is a hour away then she asked me if I mind and I was like no I don't. It was on the spot. I didn't really think it through, but the whole trip will take 4 hours and 30 minutes that is counting from getting there dropping her off and picking her up and driving back. That is a lot of gas and wear/tear on the car. I feel like I am a push over sometimes and don't like tension. It is easier to say yes then say no and look like a mean person. I don't have anything to do since it is break for both of us, so I don't have a good excuse. Then another part of me is thinking just be nice and do it but then she can't ask me for anything anymore. I hope she asked all her friends before she asked me because its not like we are very close or hang out with each other. What do you think?
Tell her to take public transportation unless you want to drive her car, then maybe.
I wouldn't do it. It's selfish of her to ask to donate your car for her endeavor

Old 10-13-2018, 10:10 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
Anyone who thinks it’s a good idea to use someone else’s car except in a dire emergency hasn’t had a friend or family member have an accident in said car. Back when I was a teenager, my dad allowed his 40 year old sister to use his car while she was visiting from out of state and she promptly got into a fender bender. She wanted him to tell his insurance he was driving so her insurance wouldn’t go up and he laughingly told her, “Uh no, this was your accident, you need to call your insurance, arrange the repairs and pony up the $500 deductible.†She was angry he forced her to do the right thing and there was bad blood between them for a couple of years afterwards. I would NEVER ask to use a roommates car.
+1

Completely agree. Using the roommate's car is a terrible idea.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:32 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
I'm still curious to know if there's a shuttle to the airport. Isn't that the normal thing to do--take the shuttle, if there is one?

Old 10-13-2018, 10:59 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Drive her car to drop her off and pick her up. She pays for gas.

I've had roommates over the years, and I've always found it makes sense to help them out when they need a favor. I've got a ton of favors I can call in when there's an emergency. And it doesn't hurt to build a community for yourself and have social ties.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:07 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm still curious to know if there's a shuttle to the airport. Isn't that the normal thing to do--take the shuttle, if there is one?
I've never heard of such a thing, so no that is not the "normal thing" for people to do. I looked it up on the local airport's website. They had one shuttle service listed, and then some limo and sedan services. I live only about 20 minutes from the airport, and when I looked up the price for the shuttle service it would be $112 one-way for me to take it to the airport. If that is how much a shuttle is for just a 20 minute ride, I can't imagine how much they would charge for a 2 hour round trip ride.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:21 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
I don't know where you live, Sundaydrive00, but shuttles to and from airports are VERY common. And most cost just $20 to $35.

Some leave from major hotels, others come to your house or apartment.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:58 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybrah124 View Post
I will do it. She said she will drive me to airport during winter break which is okay, but how about picking me up? lol Next time I will have to say I will think about it. the thought of being a push over irks me a bit don't like it when people take advantage of me. So I will have to lay out some ground rules about it
So....She has done absolutely nothing for you ever? You and she do not ever act like friends....it is just a random roommate chosen by the college situation.

Then tell her that you do not like to drive that far alone. They have airport shuttles in a lot of cities, is that not an option for her?

If we are talking a 2 hour drive to a big airport like L.A.X. I wouldn't want to drive that either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships