Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 05:37 PM

17,668 posts, read 9,148,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Oh, for crying out loud. You'd think she asked you to drive her across the ocean. What kind of a world is this when we have to second-guess a kindness to a roommate?
Agree 100%. There are some really selfish posters here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 05:40 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I’d follow through but insist on driving her car to do it or insist for compensation for wear and tear on your car. The sooner the better.
This is an interesting idea! Kudos to Diss! OP, if you tell her you'll do it, if it's her car you'll be using (I don't see how she could possibly refuse), then the only thing you'll be out is your time. And if the car is low on gas when the two of you leave, insist on stopping on the way, so she can put more gas in the tank. Don't let her stick you with an inadequate amount of gas for both trips to the airport.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:54 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is an interesting idea! Kudos to Diss! OP, if you tell her you'll do it, if it's her car you'll be using (I don't see how she could possibly refuse), then the only thing you'll be out is your time. And if the car is low on gas when the two of you leave, insist on stopping on the way, so she can put more gas in the tank. Don't let her stick you with an inadequate amount of gas for both trips to the airport.
And don't park, drop her off at the terminal.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:02 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,430,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybrah124 View Post
So roomie asked me to drive her to airport and pick her up which is a hour away then she asked me if I mind and I was like no I don't. It was on the spot. I didn't really think it through, but the whole trip will take 4 hours and 30 minutes that is counting from getting there dropping her off and picking her up and driving back. That is a lot of gas and wear/tear on the car. I feel like I am a push over sometimes and don't like tension. It is easier to say yes then say no and look like a mean person. I don't have anything to do since it is break for both of us, so I don't have a good excuse. Then another part of me is thinking just be nice and do it but then she can't ask me for anything anymore. I hope she asked all her friends before she asked me because its not like we are very close or hang out with each other. What do you think?
I don't think this is really a difficult question.

Can you?
Do you want to?

If you don't answer yes to both, don't do it.

As with so many other things in life, it takes two to say yes, but only one to say no.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:18 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,559,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Is there an airport bus, or airport limo? If you are going to do this favor, you should ask for gas money. 4 hrs driving is a tank of gas, probably about $50.

Totally agree with this.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:55 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,582,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybrah124 View Post
So roomie asked me to drive her to airport and pick her up which is a hour away then she asked me if I mind and I was like no I don't. It was on the spot. I didn't really think it through, but the whole trip will take 4 hours and 30 minutes that is counting from getting there dropping her off and picking her up and driving back. That is a lot of gas and wear/tear on the car. I feel like I am a push over sometimes and don't like tension. It is easier to say yes then say no and look like a mean person. I don't have anything to do since it is break for both of us, so I don't have a good excuse. Then another part of me is thinking just be nice and do it but then she can't ask me for anything anymore. I hope she asked all her friends before she asked me because its not like we are very close or hang out with each other. What do you think?
The easiest thing for you to do, is to say "yes" to your roommate. The easiest thing for your roommate, is to have you say "yes" to her. So what's the problem? Everyone gets off easy.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:59 PM

11,082 posts, read 17,525,111 times
I've done it before. We're 2 hours from Nashville and a friend needed to catch a flight. I drove him down there and went to pick him up a week later. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Those parking lot fees are killers.
And, yes, he gave me gas money.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:06 AM

779 posts, read 471,384 times
You said you would, so do it.

"Wear and tear" is an excuse. It's a car. It's made to drive a grand total of 4 hours. I would ask for gas money though.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:41 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Is there an airport bus, or airport limo?

If you are going to do this favor, you should ask for gas money. 4 hrs driving is a tank of gas, probably about $50.
Damn, what do you drive? Anyway, didn't OP say that the drive itself is an hour each way? I assume the rest of the time is getting to the terminal and waiting for her to get her stuff in the airport and out again on the return.

Agree that roomie should pay for gas, and be willing to return the favor in the future.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:04 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,166,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Since you committed, take her there, but suggest airport shuttle to get back. One hour to LAX was only $45 a couple years ago. Much cheaper than Uber, since you are with others.

I never ask for airport rides. It's just too much hassle. But sometimes someone will volunteer. Dropping off is not so bad, compared to picking up (parking, etc.)
You do not have to pay to park to pick someone up at an airport. They all have cell phone lots where you wait for the traveler to call and say they are at the arrival pick up area. We refuse to go inside an airport to pick anyone up-unless they are 80 and on a plane for the first time.

Also you know approximately what time the plane arrives. You know it may take time for them to get luggage, hit the bathroom etc. so you watch flight status, calculate, and let them wait for you to get there. No big deal. A lot of times we wait in a restaurant near the airport so they call and know it will take us some time to get out to the airport.

Also since he already said he would take her, make it a fun day. Get a good friend to ride with you, plan something to do in the city of the airport, and make it a vacation day for them, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships