Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2018, 10:12 AM

10,891 posts, read 7,382,548 times

Advertisements

I lived half an hour from the airport, and was happy to pick up and drop off visitors. But some discovered they could save money by flying into a different airport, which was 2.5 hours away, and they expected me to drive a total of 10 hours to fetch them. I sent them a bus schedule and didn't invite them again.

But the OP has agreed. Use the roommate's car and let her pay for gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 10:35 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I lived half an hour from the airport, and was happy to pick up and drop off visitors. But some discovered they could save money by flying into a different airport, which was 2.5 hours away, and they expected me to drive a total of 10 hours to fetch them. I sent them a bus schedule and didn't invite them again.

My sister and her fiance have done something similar with our parents. Mom and Dad,who are in their 80s, live about 30 minutes from their city's airport and generally don't mind driving people to that airport. Once my sister booked a 5:30 am flight from a city 1+ hour away and expected our parents to drive them. I let her have it. There's a favor, and then there's a FAVOR.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:11 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I think it is those people who don't have friends. And now we know why.
Really? You had to go THERE? I have friends and if I ask for a favor like that I OFFER to kick in for gas or buy them beer afterward for their trouble. Typically they also offer something for my trouble or offer to return the favor at a later date. OP is providing a premium service, the roommate should offer something for the OPs labor or let OP use her car so he don’t have to worry about gas money.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:25 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,195,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Really? You had to go THERE? I have friends and if I ask for a favor like that I OFFER to kick in for gas or buy them beer afterward for their trouble. Typically they also offer something for my trouble or offer to return the favor at a later date. OP is providing a premium service, the roommate should offer something for the OPs labor or let OP use her car so he don’t have to worry about gas money.
that’s what good friends do.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:38 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,988 times
Quote:
Some folks love being 'helpful' to one and all primarily because it makes them feel good about themselves. They could be being used and taken full advantage of and yet not see it because the ego boost of 'yay, I pleased someone' is THAT fulfilling. This sort of person never seems to notice that when they need something done the calls aren't returned.

Some needy folks are just eternal people pleasers, god bless 'em. LOL.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:17 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post

OK, we have three votes so far, for this suggestion. But it would be helpful for future reference, if the OP looked into the availability of shuttle services, so she could offer that information, the next time the roomie made the request. Well, and for that matter, there's always Uber, isn't there?

Old 10-11-2018, 12:35 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
OP is providing a service that is at a premium to his roommate. I don’t think it is out of bounds for him to ask for gas money as well as time compensation if he is willing to provide that service. Say the trip round costs $75-100 via Lyft or shuttle think he is not out of bounds to ask for $30-40 for his trouble.
Quote:
That's two completely different answers.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:37 PM

741 posts, read 590,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, we have three votes so far, for this suggestion. But it would be helpful for future reference, if the OP looked into the availability of shuttle services, so she could offer that information, the next time the roomie made the request. Well, and for that matter, there's always Uber, isn't there?
Anyone who thinks it’s a good idea to use someone else’s car except in a dire emergency hasn’t had a friend or family member have an accident in said car. Back when I was a teenager, my dad allowed his 40 year old sister to use his car while she was visiting from out of state and she promptly got into a fender bender. She wanted him to tell his insurance he was driving so her insurance wouldn’t go up and he laughingly told her, “Uh no, this was your accident, you need to call your insurance, arrange the repairs and pony up the $500 deductible.” She was angry he forced her to do the right thing and there was bad blood between them for a couple of years afterwards. I would NEVER ask to use a roommates car.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:42 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
That's two completely different answers.
So?

Okay. From my point, the damn roommate should have offered something for his trouble, but I ALSO don’t think it is out of bounds for the OP to ask for some compensation since he is providing a premium service. There, one answer. You happy now?!

Old 10-11-2018, 12:43 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
Anyone who thinks it’s a good idea to use someone else’s car except in a dire emergency hasn’t had a friend or family member have an accident in said car. Back when I was a teenager, my dad allowed his 40 year old sister to use his car while she was visiting from out of state and she promptly got into a fender bender. She wanted him to tell his insurance he was driving so her insurance wouldn’t go up and he laughingly told her, “Uh no, this was your accident, you need to call your insurance, arrange the repairs and pony up the $500 deductible.” She was angry he forced her to do the right thing and there was bad blood between them for a couple of years afterwards. I would NEVER ask to use a roommates car.
Your dad's insurance is responsible.

Car insurance follows the car.

I do not think your aunt's insurance would have paid for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships