Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 06:37 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
A nice batch of toiletries... in case they forgot something, or nice travel sizes to take with. Nice basket of shampoo, soap, toothbrush and toothpaste, conditioner, lotion, chap stick, and new white washcloths. Nice new towels to use.
There are tons of toiletries in the bathroom guests use. Most like their own shampoo, I couldn't even guess what brand they use. I tell them I have tooth brushes and soap if they forgot them, I tell them where the hair dryer, wash cloths and toilet paper is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
what would you most enjoy seeing in your guest room when you arrive?

Something pleasant, that would make you smile?
We're not in a vacation town, usually it's my mother in law that stays with us for a week or 2 every August. She has 8 kids, 3 that live in her state and it used to be 4 living in mine but it's now 3. She normally stays with us and another daughter. When I cook in the house, I always try to cook something she's never had but MIL doesn't get grilled burgers and steak unless the daughter cooked them while she was there so we try to give her that while she's with us. It's a real treat to someone that lives alone.

Guest room is always freshly cleaned, sheets and comforter washed. I have a wicker basket on top of a dresser that I keep assorted towels; one for hair, one normal size and a bath sheet. I also keep an extra pillow, a quilt and a fluffy throw blanket. I've found that's what works. When my mother in law comes we usually grab her a box of the butterscotch Tastykakes she likes, so those will be in the guest room too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 07:19 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Jason Mamoa.

You and me girl. You and me. LOL

Old 10-15-2018, 07:23 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Oh. Never heard of no top sheet....

People are so weird.

When we were growing up, we didn't do top sheets either. I didn't even know top sheets were a thing, til I was about 8 yrs. old. I had gotten pnuemonia, and I was in the hospital. My bed had a top sheet. I liked it!. LOL

When I came home, I asked if I could have a top sheet for my bed.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:26 AM

603 posts, read 445,312 times
I like this thread. We moved recently and I am in the process of working on the guest bedroom. Lot's of great ideas have been posted.

The only thing I'll add which I didn't see posted, but may have missed, is a flashlight.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:07 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
A lamp on the bedside table so you don’t have to get back out of bed to turn out the light. And an outlet within reach of the bed for charging. Actually you could combine the two, as there are now several models of bed and/or desk lamps with USB ports built into the base.
Along with the other comforts, we've installed a couple of USB charging stations on each side of the bed, understanding how much people use their electronics. You can find a decent USB/Power Outlet charging station for just a few bucks and it sure makes life easier when you don't have to go searching for an available outlet.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:23 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIL9 View Post
I like this thread. We moved recently and I am in the process of working on the guest bedroom. Lot's of great ideas have been posted.

The only thing I'll add which I didn't see posted, but may have missed, is a flashlight.
Good idea. I may even have one in the guest room because I have one in every room. I also keep candles and a lighter in the guest room in case the power goes out. You can never be too prepared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
Along with the other comforts, we've installed a couple of USB charging stations on each side of the bed, understanding how much people use their electronics. You can find a decent USB/Power Outlet charging station for just a few bucks and it sure makes life easier when you don't have to go searching for an available outlet.
If we had more people coming I would do this. MIL isn't big with a cell phone; most times it's shut off because the kids call or text my hub to make sure she's doing ok while on vacation.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I am going to go put a flashlight up there right now - great idea!

Old 10-15-2018, 09:35 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
Quote:
what would you most enjoy seeing in your guest room when you arrive?

Something pleasant, that would make you smile?
Not to be the Scrooge here, and you've had very thoughtful and useful suggestions...but I never, ever stay with people. If visiting, I use a hotel.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:39 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,984 times
A clean bed would be all that I would like/expect. Honestly, I don't like a fuss, and all the stuff that people have posted here would make me feel smothered. Or like a formal paying guest, not a welcome friend/family member.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:50 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Not to be the Scrooge here, and you've had very thoughtful and useful suggestions...but I never, ever stay with people. If visiting, I use a hotel.
Almost all of our visitors are family, including nieces, nephews, etc. We'll typically get a visit from someone about once every month or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships