Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 07:45 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,073,752 times

Advertisements

The other thing that would make me more comfortable is knowing if I can sleep in, or if there is some time range when it's acceptable to get up and get moving in the morning. And if I happen to get up earlier than everyone else, am I going to wake them by turning on the coffee, opening the fridge, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 07:58 AM

5,433 posts, read 4,006,922 times
I have a small apt. but it does have a guest room. (only one bath though). I have stayed in so many cluttered guest rooms where you feel like they had to clear off the bed before you got there, I was determined NOT to turn mine into storage central.

I have a twin bed with a handmade quilt, extra blankets, towel, books (I do store my "to be read" books in a bookcase there, so there is a good assortment), kleenex, fan, night-light, clock, waste basket. Going upstairs to add a washcloth now.;-)

ETA - I already had one there!! Damn I'm good.

Also, as I don't even have a TV in the house, no TV in the guest room.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 10-14-2018 at 08:12 AM..

Old 10-14-2018, 08:21 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,463,987 times
My overnight guests have always been family or friends of family. When they spend the night they are treated like family not paying hotel guests. My extra beds are always clean and ready for the next visitors. They already know where the extra blankets, refrigerator, bathrooms,etc are and even where clean towels, wash clothes, etc are. Forgot their toothbrush? They know I always have extra new ones for them. If they want a bedtime snack or middle of the night water, they know where that is too.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:35 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
I just want my guests to feel really comfortable. We occasionally have guests from overseas, and from markedly differing time zones, so they may wake up at odd hours, and since our guest rooms are upstairs, I don't want them to have to come downstairs and bang around in my kitchen trying to make coffee at 2 am - which they wouldn't do, but if they WANT a cup of coffee or a snack or whatever, I want it to be easy for them and we have the room for a small fridge and coffee maker so there you have it (it also makes tea if they prefer that).

Another great thing about that upstairs area is that it is SUPER quiet. Neither bedroom is over a downstairs bedroom, so you can shut a door up there, even open a window if you want fresh air, but it's so quiet up there you can sleep WAYYYYY in (ask me how I know - occasional snoring husband - LOL!). We made sure that both bedrooms have very comfortable mattresses and sheets and pillows and all that good stuff, and so it's not unusual for guests to get up pretty late and then come downstairs saying, "Wow, I had no idea I was that tired! My gosh, it's after 9 am!" But we want our guests to feel rested and relaxed when they stay with us.

I doubt that some of them even notice the toiletries, the hair dryer, the iron and ironing board, the extra pillows, the cleaning supplies, the extra chargers, the magazines in the room, etc - unless they need them. Then they're there. I just want the comforts of home to be right there at their fingertips so that if they need them, they don't have to scrounge around or do without or come find me and ask me.

Unlike my daughter, I don't put a basket of special things together but I thought it was a thoughtful gesture on her part. She and I both really enjoy pampering guests in our homes. I also don't put a chocolate on each pillow! LOL But I do put snacks in the walk in closet on the shelf by the fridge and coffee maker! Part of that is being nice and another part of that is not wanting to hear someone digging around in my kitchen at 2 am!

Old 10-14-2018, 10:35 AM

12,704 posts, read 14,876,224 times
I'm not saying do ALL these things, but these are just examples of ideas:

- little vase of flowers

- box of tissue

- little basket of snacks you know the person likes

- fun photo of a fun time you shared

- extra towels

- little bottle of lotion

- a magazine or two of something they like

- a couple of bottles of drinking water

- have tiny bottles of toiletries for them on the bathroom counter: body wash, lotion, hand soap

- a little note in your words saying how glad you are you have them & how you're looking forward to a fun time

- CD player in the room w/ a CD of the music they like (they can play it softly at night before bed or something)

- crossword puzzle, word search, etc. for them to do at night

Old 10-14-2018, 10:44 AM

149 posts, read 103,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
what would you most enjoy seeing in your guest room when you arrive?

Something pleasant, that would make you smile?

You mean like Mrs. America with a sub sandwich and a beer? And yes, that was Mrs., not Miss.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:20 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAngus View Post
You mean like Mrs. America with a sub sandwich and a beer? And yes, that was Mrs., not Miss.
Well if we're talking fantasy, I'd be happy with Sam Heughan (preferably in a kilt), Ewan McGregor (kilt optional) or Sting (the musical artist, not the wrestler). But I somehow don't see that happening on any level.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e0/41...fca5f73848.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/25/e9...0424f237c1.jpg

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...14,317_AL_.jpg

Old 10-14-2018, 11:32 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,775,613 times
The other already mentioned....

a cat

(or three) for those that enjoy them. Bedroom door cracked for a visit if they love cats, closed if they'd rather not have a nighttime visitor.

Thanks all for the really thoughtful ideas!

Old 10-14-2018, 11:39 AM

48,436 posts, read 34,627,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
My guest would not expect something special...
but I want to give her a pleasant surprise. Little things mean a lot to some of us.
High quality sheets and towels are always nice, fresh flowers...

I had guests in from Cali (I'm in Hawaii), so I bought a selection of local foods for the rooms, macadamia nuts, Kona coffee, etc. Stuff they may not have tried, and that adds to the "vacation feel."

I had 8 people on that trip, and just provided the basics for toiletries because I know most of them have their own that they like.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-14-2018, 11:46 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,775,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
High quality sheets and towels are always nice, fresh flowers...

I had guests in from Cali (I'm in Hawaii), so I bought a selection of local foods for the rooms, macadamia nuts, Kona coffee, etc. Stuff they may not have tried, and that adds to the "vacation feel."

I had 8 people on that trip, and just provided the basics for toiletries because I know most of them have their own that they like.

Love Kona coffee! Local foods a good idea...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships