Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 01:18 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Why would she miss them then if she don’t want to reconnect?
She might just be happy to see what everyone's up to on social media and email. Getting together in person could be something that she's not physically,emotionally, or financially up for doing, and being pressured to do more than she wants made her uncomfortable.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 10-15-2018 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 01:21 PM

749 posts, read 481,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
She might just be happy to see what everyone's up to on social media and email. Getting together in person could be something that she's not physically or emotionally up for doing, and being pressured to do more than she wants made her uncomfortable.
Lame. If she doesn’t want to visit then she should say so and the reason why she might not want to. By just saying yea sometime we should it makes matters unclear and confusing. She builds her family tree on ancestry therefore we have something in common.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:30 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Lame. If she doesn’t want to visit then she should say so and the reason why she might not want to. By just saying yea sometime we should it makes matters unclear and confusing. She builds her family tree on ancestry therefore we have something in common.
You don't get to decide what is a priority for this person.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:43 PM

20,763 posts, read 19,968,204 times
The more I hear you insist and obsess over that distant relative, the more I understand why she isn't interested. If you don't stop bothering her, she may block you or worse - get a restraining order. Enough is enough!

Old 10-15-2018, 02:17 PM

841 posts, read 553,367 times
I love my extended family. I really do. We had lots of good times at get-togethers growing up. We keep up with each other on Fb. However, I have no desire to see them in person. Maybe once every 5 or so years, I'll take one for the team and show up at a reunion for an hour or so. Or we'll see each other at a funeral and do the customary exchanges about getting together - but it's all just to be polite. I'm sorry - I am an introvert. I like my own space and being able to control the interaction - therefore, things like social media, text, etc. I don't want to talk on the phone or visit in person. Have you contacted this person a lot? Do the conversations seem to be more one-sided? Your relative could be doing this on purpose or, if like my father, really bad at using messenger.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:44 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
I'm totally confused. But I guess there isn't much I can do. When I post old pics of the family, she comments on them. She says she misses the times. She thanks me for posting. By the way, my dad hasn't seen this cousin in over 10 years. We lost touch for a long time. We used to spend the Holidays together. And we don't live that far away.

But we don't even have her phone number anymore. So we have Facebook. My father and her talked on messenger and she said it would be great to get together. But then she stopped responding after he responded.
Then.. several of months ago I told her that it would be great together and she said that the summer should work. I wrote back to her and no response. I know she's on FB often though. But it used to say when she was available. She turned off her active status. And now it looks like she never read my message. There was no profile pic attached to it.

It's weird how she turned off her status right after I wrote back to her. I met new family from Ancestry and it would be great to have her come over. I wrote to her and again NO RESPONSE. And to double my chances of getting her to respond, I sent her the same message on Ancestry, since she has an account on that site as well.

This is sad. My father misses her so much. We used to spend every holiday together no matter what. He doesn't have her number. The only way to get it is to call her uncle on the other side of her family and it's been years since they've talked, there was some kind of feud.
Some people are like that - want to keep you within arm's reach, but also at arm's length.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:33 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
We can create new memories if she would allow it.
It is her decision, not yours.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
She's made it clear that she doesn't actually want to get together. Nothing left to do but accept it and move on. She has chosen to isolate herself - for whatever reason. Just focus on other relatives, build relationships with them instead.
Well you don't know all the story, do you? But the advice above is good.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:47 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
You won’t believe how many were happy to visit me from ancestry and some let me visit from hundreds miles away
That's great. Focus on them.

It's clear that her feelings as a person don't really matter to you and that you're just trying to fill in blanks on your computer tree.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:54 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
The more I hear you insist and obsess over that distant relative, the more I understand why she isn't interested. If you don't stop bothering her, she may block you or worse - get a restraining order. Enough is enough!
I agree. It's becoming more and more clear why she is trying to keep her distance from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships