Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2018, 05:08 PM

12,973 posts, read 9,495,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I'm an immigrant and of ethnic origin. I never could give a rat's behind on what idiomatic name someone wanted to call me, even if they meant it derogatory. I generally give it a big, "Meh".
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Oh, I forgot I hadn’t answered the actual question.

I’m not a very confrontational person anyway but no; I have never called out my elders for offensive line speech.
Normstad, that's exactly the way you should be, in my opinion. People in general have become so hypersensitive that they can't even live a normal life. Just ignore what people say and everybody will be much happier.

Coschristi, I also agree with you. I'm not confrontational either, and there's no reason to "call out" one's elders. They almost certainly don't mean anything by what they say.

Folks shouldn't run around with a chip on their shoulder all the time. I agree with the philosophy that if you run around looking for trouble, you're probably going to find it. So don't look. There are plenty of reasons for real disagreements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 05:38 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The original definition of "Baby Boomer" were children born to returning GIs who had served in WWII.
Source, please. I have never read that definition before. I have always read and been told by professors that 1946-1964 are the years that encompass the Baby Boomer generation.

Here's a chart from the Pew Research Center which shows generational brackets:

Old 10-18-2018, 07:45 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
I'm an immigrant and of ethnic origin. I never could give a rat's behind on what idiomatic name someone wanted to call me, even if they meant it derogatory. I generally give it a big, "Meh".
Thank you for that...I feel that way too.
If someone is racist it is a reflection on them, not me..

Why do we give so much power to others ?

Old 10-18-2018, 08:03 PM

18,079 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Quote:
So if you are in a situation where an older person says something like this, do you call them out? Do you let it go?
I've been in this situation where a friend of my aunt's joined my aunt, my mother, and me for a dinner out when I was in town visiting. My mother and aunt are elderly. I had not met this friend before, but on the way to the restaurant the friend and my aunt were busy chatting away and it was one racist thing after another out of this friend's mouth or else it was something she hated.

Everything was about her hatred of this and that, and this person and that race. My aunt was pretty much agreeing with her friend. My mother was zoned out as she usually is, not paying any attention, not hearing much, and in her own world. As for me I had to bite my tongue so as to not start something. Oh I wanted to say something, actually a lot of things, but it would have gotten real ugly, real fast, and I certainly wasn't going to change anyone's mind and cure their racism. So I assessed the situation and realized it was a lose/lose. I went silent and stayed that way, even through dinner. I coped as best as I could and said as little as possible about anything, even innocuous things. I couldn't wait to get away from all of that negativity and hatred.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:13 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,797,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
As if younger relatives never say anything offensive?
Thank you. Was wondering when someone would ask this. Reminds me how offended the younger members of the family would get at Thanksgiving when the Grandmother would confiscate the cell phones and not allow them at the dinner table! Happened to the family of a friend that I was a guest of that year. Nothing like hateful, sulking people (no matter their ages) who can't be attached to their phones for an hour or two during a family dinner once a year!

Last edited by Backintheville2; 10-18-2018 at 09:43 PM..

Old 10-19-2018, 01:15 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Source, please. I have never read that definition before. I have always read and been told by professors that 1946-1964 are the years that encompass the Baby Boomer generation.

Here's a chart from the Pew Research Center which shows generational brackets:
The term "Baby Boom" was used to describe a period of high population growth long before it was adapted to label a generation of people and indeed, America's Baby Boom was spurred by the end of World War II and the return to the US and settling down and marrying of those millions of people who had been in the armed forces during the war. Population in the USA showed a strong spike beginning in 1946 and continued into the sixties. A simple search online will turn up many references including a History Channel documentary.

The information you cite from your professors does nothing to refute the information given by Sheena but is in agreement with it. Your name here indicates you're a member of that generation; how could you not understand the meaning?

Old 10-19-2018, 05:48 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
Being "solidly" a Baby Boomer has little to do with it. He's a jerk.

And a jerk like that is not going to change. In fact, he'll probably dig in if confronted.

If it makes you feel better to say something, do it. Just don't expect miracles.
^^^This^^^ At 86 years old he's not likely to change.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
The information you cite from your professors does nothing to refute the information given by Sheena but is in agreement with it. Your name here indicates you're a member of that generation; how could you not understand the meaning?
Maybe he is a SFBay 20 year old and just identifies as a boomer

Old 10-19-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Just saw this Bruce Lee quote & love it.. It's all caps because I cut/pasta - sorry

YOU WILL CONTINUE TO SUFFER IF YOU HAVE AN EMOTIONAL REACTION TO EVERYTHING THAT IS SAID TO YOU TRUE POWER IS SITTING BACK AND OBSERVING EVERYTHING WITH LOGIC IF WORDS CONTROL YOU THAT MEANS EVERYONE ELSE CAN CONTROL YOU BREATHE AND ALLOW THINGS TO PASS - BRUCE LEE

Old 10-19-2018, 08:40 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Question:
Why are you still attending functions, dinners or holidays with offensive relatives ?
Seriously?

So your grandpa makes a semi-outdated/possibly-slightly-offensive comment (there are certainly much more offensive words than "black" and "Oriental") and so you should totally ostracize him from your life???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Just saw this Bruce Lee quote & love it.. It's all caps because I cut/pasta - sorry

YOU WILL CONTINUE TO SUFFER IF YOU HAVE AN EMOTIONAL REACTION TO EVERYTHING THAT IS SAID TO YOU TRUE POWER IS SITTING BACK AND OBSERVING EVERYTHING WITH LOGIC IF WORDS CONTROL YOU THAT MEANS EVERYONE ELSE CAN CONTROL YOU BREATHE AND ALLOW THINGS TO PASS - BRUCE LEE
Nice quote. We really need to be less offended about every little stupid thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships