Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 01:49 AM

652 posts, read 339,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post
I called out a relative on bigotry.

I did it to shame him and to let the shop worker know that bigotry is not tolerated.

My relative is not going to treat someone badly and get away with it on my watch.

Good on you, OP
‘On my watch’? A little full of yourself, aren’t you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 03:26 AM

18,503 posts, read 18,648,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
Being "solidly" a Baby Boomer has little to do with it. He's a jerk.

And a jerk like that is not going to change. In fact, he'll probably dig in if confronted.

If it makes you feel better to say something, do it. Just don't expect miracles.
agreed no matter what age you are , we have moved on.. ingnorance is bliss... as they say.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:28 AM

18,503 posts, read 18,648,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annino View Post
‘On my watch’? A little full of yourself, aren’t you?
the type to start a fight in an empty house.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:46 AM

102,125 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
Being "solidly" a Baby Boomer has little to do with it. He's a jerk.

And a jerk like that is not going to change. In fact, he'll probably dig in if confronted.

If it makes you feel better to say something, do it. Just don't expect miracles.
This is what I was thinking. Aren't the Baby Boomers the generation that invented Political Correctness? lol. I guess it depends where they're from. PC arrived late to some parts of the country.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:35 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,320,068 times
Good for you. However, I have mainly found calling such people out though is largely unproductive. I simply limit my time with them and the venues I visit with them. I'm sure there are some relatives that wonder why I have withdrawn so much from the relationships, but that's their problem.

Look, the way I see it, insensitive behavior past a certain age is a reflection on character. I choose to associate with people of solid character. If you don't know how to be kind and respectful of others, I'm not going to have much use for you. There are too many truly good people in my life to waste time with people who were ok letting their moral development stall out in high school.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:50 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,064,773 times
At gatherings (holidays, reunions. etc) ignorant things are sometimes said. I just ignore it and refuse to participate. They are just ignorant people, no excuse for them. These people range from my cousins to grandparents.

Never dealt with it in public, thankfully.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:04 AM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
When I was a kid, I remember that black people were called "Negroes" or "colored people", and then I remember reading that "black" was the preferred term, so that's what I always used. "Afro-American" was around for a while but never came into common use, and then "African-American" came into play later on.

Then "people of color" came into fashion, and I found it amusing that it was acceptable but "colored people" was not. It's just a rearrangement of the same words, but then again, "colored" was often used with the connotation of meaning "less than".

Language is interesting and changes constantly. If someone isn't paying attention, they could very well be unwittingly offensive.

In the end, it's easier just to say "people".

Old 10-17-2018, 10:05 AM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Good for you. However, I have mainly found calling such people out though is largely unproductive. I simply limit my time with them and the venues I visit with them. I'm sure there are some relatives that wonder why I have withdrawn so much from the relationships, but that's their problem.

Look, the way I see it, insensitive behavior past a certain age is a reflection on character. I choose to associate with people of solid character. If you don't know how to be kind and respectful of others, I'm not going to have much use for you. There are too many truly good people in my life to waste time with people who were ok letting their moral development stall out in high school.
Love it!

Old 10-17-2018, 12:24 PM

924 posts, read 748,752 times
My mom's father was definitely one of those people.....I think the closest anyone got to calling him out on anything was when he made comments about my cousin Elizabeth dating a guy who is mixed-race. (think one of his parents is white, the other is Mexican)

Old 10-17-2018, 01:26 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,185,114 times
As if younger relatives never say anything offensive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships