Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 03:14 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,813,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
No. Don't take what I'm saying out of context. All I'm saying is that from a practical standpoint, it would be more practical for the bigger family to invite the smaller family. Because it's less work that way.

Correction: It's less work for your family. But they still had to work you in, so they've put a lot of effort for people who weren't interested in reciprocating. Not a "practical" standpoint but a self-centered one.

Quote:
Well. But the thing is I was a kid. I didn't know what was going on. All I knew was every Christmas, we went to their house. It was a given. But I was young, I didn't know what the deal was.

Now i'm older and I'm at least trying. I messaged her, got a nice response, and then nothing after.

I did invite her over to meet the new family. So in a way I'm doing more invitations than my parents did. But she didn't even officially decline it. She just didn't read it period. So I'm stuck in the middle. My dad sees me making progress by meeting all kinds of family from the internet and he tells me to try to get his favorite cousin back.

At first he said he had no interest in meeting the new people. He said he would rather see his cousin even if she had no interest in seeing him. But after he met the new family, I overheard him say to my mom they are so much nicer than the ones who snubbed us. Kinda hard for me to help him out, since they lost her phone number.

Why is your dad putting it on you to "get his favorite cousin back"? This whole thing is just bizarre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 04:54 AM

749 posts, read 475,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post

Correction: It's less work for your family. But they still had to work you in, so they've put a lot of effort for people who weren't interested in reciprocating. Not a "practical" standpoint but a self-centered one.

Why is your dad putting it on you to "get his favorite cousin back"? This whole thing is just bizarre.

I asked him why he doesn't give her a call and he says it's my mom's job.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:43 AM

16,350 posts, read 12,329,286 times
Dad needs to grow up and learn how to use the phone. His cousin, his call.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:01 AM

749 posts, read 475,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Dad needs to grow up and learn how to use the phone. His cousin, his call.
He blamed my mom and said she’s in charge of making plans. He said he’s kept in touch by having her on Facebook.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:15 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,727,925 times
Quote:
No. Don't take what I'm saying out of context. All I'm saying is that from a practical standpoint, it would be more practical for the bigger family to invite the smaller family. Because it's less work that way.
It's less work FOR YOU, but certainly NOT for the other family!

So according to you, only the bigger families should be always hosting and inviting the smaller families...

No. Just no.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:25 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,813,839 times
Quote:
I asked him why he doesn't give her a call and he says it's my mom's job.
Quote:
He blamed my mom and said she’s in charge of making plans. He said he’s kept in touch by having her on Facebook.

Just... No...

You go do you... Build some kind of relationship with these cousins of yours. At least you're putting in effort. And that counts a lot.

Your dad is putting ZERO effort and expects everyone else to do his part for him. People like this are generally very difficult to be around and that could be likely why that family member(s) are just done trying with him. Please don't put forth any more energy into trying to "rebuild" his relationship with family--that's something he needs to do himself. And no, just because he's now on FB doesn't mean he's "kept in touch" by having her on his list. Good grief, all about the bare minimums, isn't he?

Old 10-24-2018, 07:48 AM

16,350 posts, read 12,329,286 times
Quote:
As others have pointed out, it's only less work for you. Quite selfish.

I stand by my statement. You all need to quit with the entitled attitude.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:04 AM

12,066 posts, read 23,124,117 times
Quote:
For her whole family snubbing us all these years. My way of showing her that now I have more family I see than she does and I don't need her.
Spend your time finding a therapist instead of engaging in this childish nonsense.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:23 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,611,073 times
Einhander, have you made your therapy appointment yet? Bring these threads with you to save time. The therapy hour is to expensive to waste.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:54 PM

20,687 posts, read 19,824,686 times
Quote:
I met 12 new cousins from 23 and me. And they are related to the cousin that doesn't see me anymore. Many of them told me their jaws dropped when they got my message. They all are descendants of my father's new cousin, who never knew any of her extended family. This was all for their mom & grandma. She was so happy.

Also, my sister met her cousin who she grew up with and didn't know she was a relative. It was odd for her, but great.

I'm making moves. I'm gonna see if I get a response from u know who on FB when I post about this tomorrow.

But the point is, that we all had fun. I don't see why people tell me they can't find anything in common with their cousins. I didn't have anything in common with them, but we found things to talk about. So many hugs and laughs. One of them is kind of a neighbor. And he said his jaws dropped when he heard he lived right next to us. He told me that he's gonna come next week and empty our fridge lol.

I'm beside myself right now. I touched other's hearts. Now let's just hope that u know who reacts to this. I won't post anything negative, but I hope she feels a little bit guilty for snubbing us all these years. Not nice.
Quote:
For her whole family snubbing us all these years. My way of showing her that now I have more family I see than she does and I don't need her.
OMG. On the other forum you admit you are too obsessed about this poor aunt and now you are making ANOTHER thread about her?

YOU NEED HELP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships