Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 11:23 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,470,216 times

Advertisements

I apologize for the length of this post but I need to give some background to fully explain my current situation. After spending the last 3+ years in Raleigh, NC, I decided that the time had come to try a different area as I was not having much luck finding a good paying job in Raleigh with my work experience and skills. An opportunity came up in Salt Lake City that was much better than anything I was able to get in Raleigh, so I took it and moved to SLC last month.

When I left Raleigh, I knew that one of the downsides to moving would be that I'd no longer be able to spend time with a close friend that I met while living there. As we are both single without kids and in our fifties, we have a lot in common. She was very helpful in getting settled in and adjusted to living in Raleigh, and also was there to listen and talk to during my extended job search. I am thankful for all of the time that we had together while I lived in Raleigh. She did treat me to coffee and the occasional meal (lunch or dinner) out too, because she knew that I was concerned about my finances since I wasn't working full time. In return, I tried to help her out by taking her to some medical appointments, doing the driving whenever we went somewhere together, and by helping her move from one apartment to another in her apartment complex.

Since I came to Salt Lake City, she told me that she'd like to make a visit out here next March to see me (as well as to see SLC since she's never been here). She has credit for unused travel on one of the airlines to cover the cost of her airfare, but still needs to pay for a hotel, meals, and for someone to take care of her two cats while she's away. She tells me that the trip will cost her around $1500 for the week, AND since she had done so much for me to make my life easier while I lived in Raleigh, she wants me to pay for a good portion of her trip.

My friend knows that I have lost a large sum of money while living in Raleigh due to not being able to find a good paying FT job there. I've also had the additional expenses of flying out to SLC in August to interview and test for the job, and then the expense of moving from Raleigh to SLC. I am trying to pay down credit card debt that I've accumulated over the past 3 years. I'm in a long training program in my new job that extends until mid-December, and there is no guarantee that I will pass the tests that need to be completed during the training, or still be in this job by next March if I do get through the training.

I have never had a friend throw in my face things that they have done for me as a friend and then expect some sort of financial reward for their gestures. I'm trying to get back on my feet financially, and am trying to watch what I spend so I can build up my savings again. My friend does not seem to understand why I would hesitate to want to contribute toward the cost of her trip (a trip she says she would not have had to make if I hadn't decided to leave Raleigh). What would you do if you were in my situation?

Old 10-27-2018, 11:34 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
I would say, "Gosh, I would love to see you and show you SLC, but I'm just not in any position to be helpful with money."

Could your friend stay with you instead of at a hotel? Could you arrange to cook your meals together, avoiding restaurant expenses?

Old 10-27-2018, 11:40 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,058,991 times
This is not a friend. She should wait to visit til she can afford to. If you still want her to. This would be friendship-ending for me. Friends don’t help with an account book open, tracking every favor done and meal paid for.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:43 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
I agree about staying with you. And does she have to stay for a WEEK??

I would tread very carefully here. It sounds like you leaned on her quite heavily when you first moved to Raleigh, and then you tried to reciprocate non-financially however you could.

If you really are good friends, I would try to overlook the potential etiquette misstep and just try to find a way to make the trip happen. If that means considering ideas to make it less expensive, then do that.

If it just can't happen, then maybe you two will need to postpone it until she can afford it.

603 posts, read 444,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
This is not a friend. She should wait to visit til she can afford to. If you still want her to. This would be friendship-ending for me. Friends don’t help with an account book open, tracking every favor done and meal paid for.

Every. Word. Of. This. ^

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I would say, "Gosh, I would love to see you and show you SLC, but I'm just not in any position to be helpful with money."

Could your friend stay with you instead of at a hotel? Could you arrange to cook your meals together, avoiding restaurant expenses?
This is exactly what I would say.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:46 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times
My first thought was "why doesn't she stay with you?"

The money thing might just be her way of asking for an invite to stay with you. Have you offered?

I would laugh at her proposal and say "Great joke! You are really funny!"

Old 10-27-2018, 12:06 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,190,085 times
". She tells me that the trip will cost her around $1500 for the week, AND since she had done so much for me to make my life easier while I lived in Raleigh, she wants me to pay for a good portion of her trip. "

wow, that comes across as manipulative. Is she hinting for an invite?
I agree with the other posters advice, and state you are not in a position to help pay for a trip BUT you'd like her to visit and stay with you. If you are not wishing to have her stay with you, then just state that you currently can't accommodate visitors. let alone pay for people to visit you.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:09 PM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Time to concentrate on job training and tests.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:14 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,477 times
Your former acquaintance has shown you what she is. Why do you still want to maintain a relationship with her? She is greedy and self-absorbed. Possibly crazy. This is not the behavior of a normal person, let alone one who has been a friend. She is not looking forward to seeing you, she is looking forward to using you as a way to get a free vacation. It is possible that were you to agree to her terms and give her money, you would not actually see her if she did actually make the trip after receiving the money.

Your current financial circumstances alone are sufficient for you to decline to agree to give her any money, though they are actually irrelevant. She is completely out of line asking for money to visit you at all, regardless of what your financial circumstances might be. Tell her you will be unable to provide her with any financial assistance for her trip. Just tell her it would be impossible and offer no further explanation. Be as polite as you care to be, but do not offer her any reason or excuse. That will simply offer her an opportunity for rebuttal or further attempts at guilting you into agreeing.

Concentrate on completing your training program and passing the exams so you can begin your new job. Spend your free time making new friends in your new location. Your former acquaintance is not a relationship that appears to be worth cultivating. And offering to have her stay with you under the circumstances would likely be awkward at best, and possibly a really bad idea. Your "friend" seems very odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships