Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 10:49 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I would give a wave and a smile.

If a stop and chat happens, then I’d just say “Hi. How are you?” or maybe a comment about the weather. Ending it with “Well, gotta run! Have a good day!”
Yes, OP, this is not hard. Totally ignoring somebody you know is rude. On the plus side, if you keep doing it, eventually you will not have to worry about having awkward conversations with people on the street anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 02:13 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
If somebody I know sees me and wants to talk, I'll talk. Otherwise I ignore them. Chances are I won't remember them anyway. This girl I went to middle school with worked at an auto parts store I go to. I was actually surprised I reconized her, but I don't think she knew who I was, or acted like it. Usually people never forget me. We did Our transaction and I left. I was at a drive thru once and a woman in my graduating class was working it, she knew exactly who I was, we talked some. I have no clue who she is and she didn't have a nametag on. I ran in to a guy at his families house and we talked because he spotted me walking by, and we exchanged numbers, but have yet to call each other. Also in my graduating class. Another guy I ran in to, found out he worked at the airport for a rental car company, I to worked for a different rental car group, but I was a driver/detailer. We talked a little, but never saught each other out at work and only seen each other twice. I knew both guys because the first one, we were on the track team and the second was one guy who treated me like ****, was on the football team until he got tackled and broke his back. It was all over the news.

I don't get awkward, I just talk and part ways. Have yet to have some Seinfeld situation...

Old 11-05-2018, 08:33 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
I don't seek out or say hi to acquaintances in public cause we aren't close.

Friends, yes cause I've known mine since we were kids.

People act like getting ignored is a big deal. So someone doesn't want to interact with you? It happens.

Some people just aren't interested in talking to you and aren't obligated to do so.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:58 AM

1,364 posts, read 611,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I work in a large downtown area, with slews of people nearby, and it's pretty common to run into people you know when you're going to or from work or running errands. So often the encounter is awkward: both the other person and I are in a rush, or have only met once or twice, or maybe just know each other by sight but not by name, such as from church or from the gym.

Today I was walking to lunch and saw a neighbor who I've just met once, and the conversation was totally awkward, ending with an attempted handshake (by him) that took a few tries.

I think it's better to just not see the person, or pretend not to see the person, and have a real conversation when you're in the mood and have time. That makes a better impression than an awkward encounter on the sidewalk.

So:

When you see an acquaintance when you're out running errands or something, if the person doesn't instantly see you, would you rather:

1. Wave to the person and have a quick conversation, or

2. Just hope that the person doesn't see you so that you can avoid an awkward encounter?

Thanks.

I would acknowledge this acquaintance with a wave.

If they call you over cause they want to chat you keep walking, point to your watch, smile and lightly shake your head indicating "I can't right now"

Old 11-05-2018, 12:29 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
In 62 years I can't think of and "awkward encounter" I've had. I see somebody, I wave and say hello, I go on. Don't know what's so difficult about that.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:53 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times
Ignoring is just downright rude. Have we become that self-absorbed with ourselves? A little kindness and a quick, brief conversation never killed anyone.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:32 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
I work in a large downtown area, with slews of people nearby, and it's pretty common to run into people you know when you're going to or from work or running errands. So often the encounter is awkward: both the other person and I are in a rush, or have only met once or twice, or maybe just know each other by sight but not by name, such as from church or from the gym.

Today I was walking to lunch and saw a neighbor who I've just met once, and the conversation was totally awkward, ending with an attempted handshake (by him) that took a few tries.

I think it's better to just not see the person, or pretend not to see the person, and have a real conversation when you're in the mood and have time. That makes a better impression than an awkward encounter on the sidewalk.

So:

When you see an acquaintance when you're out running errands or something, if the person doesn't instantly see you, would you rather:

2. Just hope that the person doesn't see you so that you can avoid an awkward encounter?

Thanks.

Ignoring someone is an affront. And you're not fooling anyone by pretending not to see the person. At best, you come off as neurotic. At worst, you come off looking like someone who was raised in a barn.

You don't have to stop and have a conversation. All you have to do is wave and move on.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:50 PM

497 posts, read 422,112 times
Quote:

So:

Thanks.
I rather say hello and move on. It is a shame that society is afraid to say hello to a familiar face then to ignore them.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:58 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbmPpxoNQ-k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships