Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 04:38 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Does any store even issue certificates anymore? It's all gift cards now. I haven't seen a gift certificate in twenty years.
Same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 05:22 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
2. Everyone donates to charity instead of buying things for each other.
Sounds like a winner. If you guys are worn out buying things for each other, you would do well to consider all the families who barely have enough to make ends meet. I really would encourage your family to stop with the senseless gift giving and instead either buy gifts for children who don't have hardly anything or just donate to your local charity.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:38 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"Any other ideas that have worked for your families? Be as specific as possible."

for the 18 and overs we do "Dirty Santa". Dirty Santa Rules For 2018
That is hilarious.

My suggestion to OP is to buy the kids savings bonds or shares of stock, so they’ll have a little nest egg for college.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:09 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
You've named the ideas that most folks resort to. The only gift giving that you should control is your own.....so pick one and sit the precedent for the others.

And, most kids by middle school age would rather buy their own things, or shop online for the fun of looking and buying.....I started doing online gift certificates when my grand kids got old enough. This option will certainly save you time and shipping....and can be accomplished via email, or even text in some cases.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:48 AM

1,364 posts, read 611,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
My family draws names at Thanksgiving for Christmas. We break it up so the kids (18 and under) draw for each other, then the "young adults", then 40 and up.
Everybody buys for grandma/grandpa and they still buy for everybody...so it's really only easier on the rest of us and not so much them.

But I also agree with giving an experience instead of an object. I think that's a really great idea

I believe picking a name during T'giving for X-mas is the way to go, besides being a lot of fun in trying to guess who got who in regards to the younger set.

It also sets an example the Holidays is about being together, the presents are just a tiny part of the fun.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:35 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
I have 2 sons and 4 grandkids. My wife has 3 adult children, 8 grand youngsters, and Great grandchild #7 and #8 on the way, with 7 due at Christmas. We have a Christmas club, that is the greatest thing ever, that is taken out of her monthly retirement check automatically. But still that's a lot to buy for. So, for the adult kids and adult grandkids, we make chocolate and peanut butter fudge and put a gift card for a nice restaurant on top in a Christmas tin. Most of the funds go to the kids. We find out what they want and do our best to get that, plus one more toy and a couple outfits.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:44 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Isn't it the same thing?
No. A gift certificate was issued on paper. A gift card is a piece of plastic, looks like a credit card. I haven't seen gift certificates in twenty years.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:47 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
I have a very strict "no presents for adults" rule. The only exceptions are my own kid, and our parents (the parents get occasional small gifts, but we usually just take them out to dinner). So we only buy presents for the nieces and nephews and a few close cousins - Christmas presents through college, birthday presents through high school.

It was an adjustment for my husband's family when we got married, but I have no problem being the bad guy. I've held firm, and they eventually adjusted! It has kept our lives simple, easy and low key.
I remember when I was young in the early 50s and no adults got gifts back then , it was only for children and wish it still was .. as Ive started buying gifts from two months ago so that Im not hit too hard nearer the time... I buy gifts for the individual never buy in bulk and say ..that will do... its always chosen for that person and what I hope they will like... but I keep adding... why do I do this. its crazy....

Old 11-06-2018, 02:16 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
Years ago the extended family drew names at Thanksgiving. Then as the older ones passed on and the younger ones grew up and the divorced ones quit coming, even the gatherings stopped. The Great Recession killed Christmas gift giving in our household and after it passed we noticed that we actually enjoyed Christmas more with no gift giving. The focus became just enjoying the lights and music and movies and eating together. Nowadays if I get an invitation to the one remaining household that does massive gift exchanges, I politely decline. I have come to enjoy quiet on Christmas morning and if I am lucky, a little snow.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:33 AM

1,204 posts, read 933,989 times
I just remembered a thing I did with my three young niece and nephews several years ago. I thought I’d introduce them to charitable giving gradually, in a way that was fun for them. So for Christmas, I took them to the pet store, and we each picked out a few things for cats and dogs. Then we brought them to the humane society, and donated them there. I had told the people in advance that we would be coming, and they made a fuss over the kids, and told him how happy the pets would be. Of course, the problem with this, is that then they all wanted to bring a few cats and dogs home with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships