Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 07:46 PM

16 posts, read 10,079 times

Advertisements

I'm a 25 year old female. I work FT and live with my boyfriend. I have NO friends. I DO HAVE some great coworkers and some not so great... Over the past couple of years I have gone out with co-workers after work or for lunch and though we get along I we never become what I could call "friends".

I've thought about joining sites like Meet Up, but when I see all those categories I feel like I won't fit in. It reminds me of High School all over again. I feel like I will go to a meet up and they are going to tell me "No, you don't belong your not a big enough fan of (fill in the blank)." Does anyone else have this issue?

I want to develop friendships but I have no idea where to start. Everyone is also just so busy, and I get that too. What has worked for you??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 08:23 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Find some hobbies you like and join a group or take some classes in something you’re interested in or volunteer somewhere you find interesting.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:40 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Key idea is to find whatever your interest is and pursue that. If it's sports, you meet friends on your sports team, or at a fitness class at the gym. If you like cooking, take cooking classes. Like art? Start going to openings and artist talks and open studios.

But you really need to have an interest first. Otherwise, you're going to just meet up with people one time and find you don't have anything in common.

If you're entrepreneurial, you could start something. Someone in my neighborhood is running a storytelling group for adults, something like Moth talks. She gets a group coming to her place on a Sunday evening to listen to storytellers. I suspect if she gets the same people coming to all the events, people will get to know each other. I know other people who enjoy gardening and they are on the neighborhood beautification group.

One guy is hosting a local dinner group for tech and start-up entrepreneurs. Another guy started a fathers-night-out drinking group at a local bar. Anyway, hopefully you get the idea.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:54 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
I lost a lot of friends over the years. They get married, have kids, move away, etc.

Like other posters have stated find activities in which you can meet people. Meet-up, Discover Outdoors is another great company, event brite, etc.

Also, co-workers are just that co-workers. You see them Mon to Fri for 8 to 12 hours. (that's 40 to 60 hours a week that you see those people. I bet you don't see friends, family or your boyfriend for that amount of time) Why would you want to see more of them?? I need a break from my co-workers.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:26 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Co-workers can become good friends sometimes depending on the circumstances. Not all co-workers spend all day together 5 days a week and if you have something in common, you can meet them outside of work. But I agree that other activities like going to an independent lecture (or lecture series), taking a class/course or joining clubs can also sometimes lead to making friends. I think one has to make more of effort when one is no longer in school and in the regular workforce or a bit older in order to make lasting friendships.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:37 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
One problem is that you've already shot yourself down before you have started.

Do you have an interest or hobby or something else you'd like to learn? Go do that. You'll meet people.

Cannot begin to tell you how many friends I have made playing tennis. Male and female.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:29 AM

553 posts, read 302,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resident212 View Post
I'm a 25 year old female. I work FT and live with my boyfriend. I have NO friends. I DO HAVE some great coworkers and some not so great... Over the past couple of years I have gone out with co-workers after work or for lunch and though we get along I we never become what I could call "friends".

I've thought about joining sites like Meet Up, but when I see all those categories I feel like I won't fit in. It reminds me of High School all over again. I feel like I will go to a meet up and they are going to tell me "No, you don't belong your not a big enough fan of (fill in the blank)." Does anyone else have this issue?

I want to develop friendships but I have no idea where to start. Everyone is also just so busy, and I get that too. What has worked for you??
i did a lot of meet ups when i wanted to make new friends. and the people were really welcoming. my favorite meet up where food ones. i made a few good friends that way.

you don't know until you try. you've grown a lot since high school,

Old 11-09-2018, 10:01 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Sports leagues, work (I don't consider these real friendships until one of us moved on and stayed friends), music scene efforts, alumni association work... but mostly friends of friends or made friends with other social connections.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:49 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,449,916 times
It sounds like your problem is mostly in your mind. Do you suffer from social anxiety? Don’t worry, many people who join interest groups do it because they want to meet people they have things in common with. You won’t stand out. You’ll blend in. High school is over.

It’s great fun to take a class or join a club. If you don’t know much, you’ll learn. People are often very warm and sharing, in my experience.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:08 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Adulting...you'll get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships