Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 12:09 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I think I will. I haven't actually gotten together with her in over a month now.

I confess that I kind of feel like Harry Hemi's implying--I'm a little hurt that I texted her that stuff about my family and she just had nothing to say to it. I wound up feeling guilty for sharing it.
You dont have to feel guilty about sharing it (unless you went on for, like, hours).
But if she had nothing to say when you were talking to her, That says alot. Sure shes a good friend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 01:16 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
I wouldn't push it any further...no more texts and especially "likes" on her FB.

She knows how to contact you.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:35 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,866,838 times
It may be that she is "busy with her new relationship." The ball is still in her court. Then it may be that your sharing so much made her uncomfortable. Perhaps she couldn't think of anything positive to say and didn't want to be untruthful. There is a saying.....if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. So many possibilities, none that seem to be something worth worrying over. Consider that you may be insecure. Some people need more contact with friends than others. She may not need as much as you. OTOH, if she never makes any contact it could be she isn't really a good friend.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:02 AM

579 posts, read 368,166 times
When the telephone was invented 142 years ago, it enabled people to communicate with each other much faster than mailing a letter.

Today, many people insist on using what is basically a very fast and free telegraph service rather than using the telephone. It's cumbersome, slow, and you have to sit there and wait for a reply, not knowing if the recipient didn't receive it or just doesn't like you.

If you don't want to use the phone to place a call, and you don't want to visit your friends in person, then keep your expectations low. Texting instead of talking is a stupid trend. I hope it goes away before we become irreparably distant from each other. It goes against basic human nature to use our voices and ears to communicate so much faster than reading and writing.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:28 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,553 times
The problem I have here is your passive attitude about the entire thing. You want to make sure she sees your 'Like' and somehow gifts you with approval by acknowledging it? You actually feel guilty about sharing with a supposed 'friend'? Oh, I hope she's not the type who likes to share with you sometimes and fully expects your undivided attention. She can receive, it seems, but has no interest in giving.

As someone asked, are you sure about this 'friendship'?

I will never understand the need to hold onto artificial friendships or to seek the approval of people who make it clear--sometimes rudely--that they have no interest in you aside from the superficial.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:08 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
OP, if the family member who has a serious health problem is not in your immediate family, then talking about the health of a relative not in your immediate family may not be of interest to your friend, and she may have thought you were dwelling on illness too much and at too great a length.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:19 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
To address a couple of questions/comments, yes, the ill relative is an immediate family member. And yes--she does share problems with me, usually about difficulties at work or in her dating life. I guess neither of those is quite the same.

Thank you all for the input.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:24 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
I texted one time. Didnt care for it.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:02 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I think your boyfriend is being kind.

To answer your question, no, triple-texting isn't always a bad thing, but in this case I think it would be. I agree with LLCNYC that your friend knows how to get in touch with you.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:40 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,641 times
Your so-called friend doesn't acknowledge the death of a family member and serious illness of another? I think that's a pretty crappy friend. If she's thinking "I just can't deal", then that's terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships