Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 10:00 AM

9,844 posts, read 7,709,490 times

Advertisements

OP, sounds like you answered her question perfectly.

It's her problem not yours. Gotta roll with a huge variety of people in life, pick your battles and sometimes just be happy that you're not them.

And some people are just curious and don't mean to offend at all, why not just answer the question? Whenever people ask it's a good time to educate them kindly and change their misconceptions.

People find genealogy and family history interesting, I just don't understand why it would be humiliating to talk about. You are what you are. Now what you do in this life, that's something you can control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 10:21 AM

12,952 posts, read 13,663,665 times
You probably shouldn't have stormed out because you totally won that one. I would have sat there and gloated. It is aggravating to have people always reminding you about your ethnicity. Some do gooders don't realize that they are the 100th person that day to remind you who you are.

I would go back and act like nothing happened and if this person asked how you are just say "part of me is okay."

Old 11-15-2018, 11:03 AM

2,668 posts, read 2,231,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I was offended. She talks about race a lot. She is insecure about her own race. And she asked me if I was mixed because she said she wants to know if I'm going to relate to the material if I'm partially something. I said, ''maybe I'll partially relate.'' And she answered back with this sarcastic ''okay.''

I just stormed out and have never been so humiliated. Any advice on how to feel better?

Your feeling of humiliation probably relates a lot to the educational philosophy she's wanting to espouse through the curriculum, I suspect.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:14 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
You probably shouldn't have stormed out because you totally won that one. I would have sat there and gloated. It is aggravating to have people always reminding you about your ethnicity. Some do gooders don't realize that they are the 100th person that day to remind you who you are.
I agree! I could understand walking out more so if you'd been stupefied and rendered speechless. But you owned this, OP. But we also weren't there.

So many people don't understand how inappropriate this is, and I guess no one ever told them. I asked a teacher if she was black back when I was in high school (!) because no one had ever told me how wrong that was, and I was curious and couldn't tell because she was so bright. Sounds like your teacher is at the maturity level I was at back then.

But we don't have a lot of info. What was the subject being discussed? Why would this question come up? Either way, I think it's inappropriate for her to ask that, though.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:37 AM

9,391 posts, read 11,143,637 times
Not much info from OP. Not enough to answer any question OP might have. The link in BirdieBelle's post helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Given the context, I don't understand why this is a problem. I also don't understand your reaction.

It seems like a lot of drama over nothing.
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
What is the course and what is the context of the discussion?

Can you explain why you felt humiliated?
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It's probably this bizarre church-recruitment group he's gotten into (as an apparent atheist) that was falsely advertised as a "relationships course":

Am in a relationship course. Have been advised to bring someone to Church.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:49 PM

102,180 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Given the context, I don't understand why this is a problem. I also don't understand your reaction.

It seems like a lot of drama over nothing.
Yeah, OP--more info needed. Did she ask this in front of the entire class, or after class, as everyone was on the way out? Maybe she was just trying to get to know you better? I don't quite get it.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:58 PM

749 posts, read 480,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, OP--more info needed. Did she ask this in front of the entire class, or after class, as everyone was on the way out? Maybe she was just trying to get to know you better? I don't quite get it.

She asked in front of everyone.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I agree! I could understand walking out more so if you'd been stupefied and rendered speechless. But you owned this, OP. But we also weren't there.

So many people don't understand how inappropriate this is, and I guess no one ever told them. I asked a teacher if she was black back when I was in high school (!) because no one had ever told me how wrong that was, and I was curious and couldn't tell because she was so bright. Sounds like your teacher is at the maturity level I was at back then.

But we don't have a lot of info. What was the subject being discussed? Why would this question come up? Either way, I think it's inappropriate for her to ask that, though.

I don't know why the subject came up. I didn't look at the upcoming paper. But she said, ''If you're partially something, you might relate to it.'' I said maybe I'll partially relate to it then, and she rolled her eyes, chuckled, and said, ''okay....'' Then I was mad and just left.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
How does race impact your ability to relate to the material? What class is this? Was that the reason you were offended or does some one simply asking you what your race was offend you? Do you konw what your race is? I can imagine that would be humiliating if someone asked and you didn't really know much about it.. Not throwing stones here, but i can't relate to this.. of course no one has ever asked me my race, (white) its fairly obvious.

I think the one thing i would say is to take pride in your race, as it appears you do....learn as much as you can about not just your race but your heritage and when some one asks you what your race is in a condescending tone.. you can reply with more info than they want.. make sure they understand how much pride you have in your race and how much knowledge you have about your heritage and i think they will take you more seriously? maybe.. its hard to say but i do know that knowledge is power and the more you have the better you will feel in these situations...

I like to just fit in with everyone. Usually I'm not questioned, she seemed nosey. She talks about her own race a lot and even seems to stereotype herself a lot.

And when she tried to put me in that same category, it got me mad, that's what I felt she was trying to do.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:09 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,242,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I like to just fit in with everyone. Usually I'm not questioned, she seemed nosey. She talks about her own race a lot and even seems to stereotype herself a lot.

And when she tried to put me in that same category, it got me mad, that's what I felt she was trying to do.
So was this the "church relationship" class or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships