Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2018, 06:16 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times

Advertisements

My understanding is you get hired on the strength of your reel.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:29 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times
Well I got a job recently as co-director on a feature film, if the other co-director/producer is able to get the funding. He got a cast and crew lined up, and is applying for funding, so I hope he gets it, and we'll see how he does.

Perhaps I can learn a thing or two from it as well.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:44 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,021,349 times
I say, make the movie. Dude, you've been unhappy on these boards for years. You're not a regular job kind of guy. Do it the best way you can. Lots of movies get made for nothing, some are entirely shot on iPhones.
Don't listen to the negativity. They don't understand that you don't have to make a blockbuster or even any profit. If it's well done and gets buzz, that's when you get the better stars and budgets and studio attention.
The main thing is....do it and quit talking about it. Or don't do it and accept that your life is in Canada doing lame jobs that don't let you pee.
Get your storyboards together, get a cast and crew, plan out everything so you don't waste money. Don't worry about your parents, it's quite hard to declare a person incompetent. Them disagreeing with your choices isn't going to work so quit wasting energy on that threat.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:15 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well I got a job recently as co-director on a feature film, if the other co-director/producer is able to get the funding. He got a cast and crew lined up, and is applying for funding, so I hope he gets it, and we'll see how he does.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:58 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,471,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I say, make the movie. Dude, you've been unhappy on these boards for years. You're not a regular job kind of guy. Do it the best way you can. Lots of movies get made for nothing, some are entirely shot on iPhones.
Don't listen to the negativity. They don't understand that you don't have to make a blockbuster or even any profit. If it's well done and gets buzz, that's when you get the better stars and budgets and studio attention.
The main thing is....do it and quit talking about it. Or don't do it and accept that your life is in Canada doing lame jobs that don't let you pee.
Get your storyboards together, get a cast and crew, plan out everything so you don't waste money. Don't worry about your parents, it's quite hard to declare a person incompetent. Them disagreeing with your choices isn't going to work so quit wasting energy on that threat.

This guy would be blowing a ton of money that took him a LONG time to save. He has an unsteady track record of employment and this money won't be replaced easily. It would be reckless for him to just "go for it" until he has more experience and knows more about what he is doing.

OP -- you mentioned that people tell you one thing and then tell you another. (As in "make short films and and then try longer features" and then you make those shorts and then they tell you to go to school instead of trying longer features.) They may be doing this because they see the short films and don't think you have the talent (yet) to go to the next level. But they don't want to say that and hurt your feelings so they suggest something else.

Last edited by wasel; 12-11-2018 at 08:14 AM..

Old 12-11-2018, 07:56 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
This guy would be blowing a ton of money that took him a LONG time to save. He has an unsteady track record of employment and this money won't be replaced easily. It would be reckless for him to just "go for it" until he has more experience and knows more about what he is doing.

OP -- you mentioned that people tell you one thing and then tell you another. (As in "make short films and and then try longer features" and then you make those shorts and then they tell you to go to school instead of trying longer features.) They may be doing this is because they see the short films and don't think you have the talent (yet) to go to the next level. But they don't want to say that and hurt your feelings so they suggest something else.
^^^This. I also think some of the 'people' he's referring to are the opinions he solicits here. Not everyone agrees so he just twists in the wind because he doesn't know his own mind and relies on what anyone, who is willing to give advice, tells him.

Priority one should be a replacement day job. You don't quit your job to haphazardly pursue a hobby you fantasize will turn you into a blockbuster director.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:55 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,021,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post

OP -- you mentioned that people tell you one thing and then tell you another. (As in "make short films and and then try longer features" and then you make those shorts and then they tell you to go to school instead of trying longer features.) They may be doing this because they see the short films and don't think you have the talent (yet) to go to the next level. But they don't want to say that and hurt your feelings so they suggest something else.
He said he went to film school. Iirc, he's got a slight LD that makes him come across poorly. He's not likely to be successful in a regular job. He wants to be a filmmaker so he should go for it. His window is closing. Worst case is he falls miserably. Then he'd have to accept that he's going to have to go down a different route. As it is, he's had a problem with every job bc in his mind, he's a filmmaker. Then go make a film.

I've been reading and responding to his posts for years. He's got to make a move or let it go. And this isn't really the best website to ask for advice on this bc it's not artist centric and the majority of people play it safe. It's not a slight, it's just the average posters are in a different position than he is.

Even if he loses it all, he'll be ok. Plenty of people have lost everything and they make it. He has no kids or SO.

I have told him long ago to move to a place like Toronto for a year and get jobs in the industry and go from there.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:14 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times
Well I didn't quit my day job to persue this career. I quit my day job cause the working conditions involving the restrooms, were abhorrent and I couldn't take it anymore. I talked about it before on this thread:

What Can I Do About This Bathroom Problem At Work?

But I didn't cause I wanted to make movies, and it was a separate health issue.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:16 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
He said he went to film school. Iirc, he's got a slight LD that makes him come across poorly. He's not likely to be successful in a regular job. He wants to be a filmmaker so he should go for it. His window is closing. Worst case is he falls miserably. Then he'd have to accept that he's going to have to go down a different route. As it is, he's had a problem with every job bc in his mind, he's a filmmaker. Then go make a film.

I've been reading and responding to his posts for years. He's got to make a move or let it go. And this isn't really the best website to ask for advice on this bc it's not artist centric and the majority of people play it safe. It's not a slight, it's just the average posters are in a different position than he is.

Even if he loses it all, he'll be ok. Plenty of people have lost everything and they make it. He has no kids or SO.

I have told him long ago to move to a place like Toronto for a year and get jobs in the industry and go from there.
He doesn't have a "slight learning disability". he has Autism, severe enough that he gets assistance from the government.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:06 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post

Hey, that's great! Perfect for you. Hopefully the funding comes through. Hopefully there's at least some compensation, but it will be a GREAT learning experience. You'll get to see the finer details, the nitty gritty, of actually getting a movie made. So you'll be that much better equipped to deal with making your own someday. It could also be a step for getting other jobs (better than gaffer) on movie sets.

Congrats! Now go make the most of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships